Sony expects PS5 shortages to continue into next year

ps5-play-has-no-limits-video-thumb-01-en-11jun20.jpg

Those of you who have been waiting patiently for the Playstation 5 shortage to end may have to wait a little bit longer. In a briefing with analysts, Sony's Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki warned that due to the high demand and shortage of essential components like semiconductors, they would unable to provide an estimate as to when their supply issues might clear up. “I don’t think demand is calming down this year and even if we secure a lot more devices and produce many more units of the PlayStation 5 next year, our supply wouldn’t be able to catch up with demand,” said the CFO, according to several anonymous analysts from the call who spoke to Bloomberg.

However, it seems the PS5 is keeping on pace with its predecessor in terms of sales. Sony's latest earnings report claims that the PS5 has sold 7.8 million units by March 31, 2021, while Playstation 4 sales hit 7.6 million in the timeframe. Based on this, Totoki is confident that demand will stay high, even as their earnings report shows lower numbers of monthly active Playstation Network users as COVID-19 lockdown restrictions loosen--109 million this quarter, down from 114 million the previous quarter. “We have sold more than 100 million units of the PlayStation 4 and considering our market share and reputation, I can’t imagine demand dropping easily.”

:arrow: Source

chrisrlink

Has a PhD in dueling
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah, at the moment anyway. intel makes their own chips and have run into issues getting their newer chip proccesses working for a few years now. Buuut next year they might have something that can compete. Maybe. Probably. Intel 11th gen are still good chips, but amd is cheaper and wins at nearly every metric (power, efficiency, power consumption, ect.).

AMD relies on TSMC to make their chips (and ps5/xbox uses amd chips, so same for them), and TSMC have been killing it with newer tech. but. various raw element shortages and insane demand are causing issues. They're at like, 110% production capacity or something crazy.

Intel is still making chips in-house on the old 14nm process, and AMD's current chips use 7nm(+?) proccess (next year they move to 5nm i think?). So intel can't compete for the price and might not be able to for a few years. Nvidia is a bit more complicated. plus, their graphics vs amd graphics have a bit more of a "what're you using it for" as part of deciding which is better. but to over-simplify, basically the cutting edge pc+console chips are just made at the one place, TSMC, right now.

that was the main reason apple makes the M1 now skylake was the final straw for apple or so i heard that and hackintoshing (running mac OSX on a PC)

Reactions: osaka35

GhostLatte

GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm happy I got the PS5 already but I want to buy a better graphics card honestly fuck scalpers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E