Sony Cuts Ties With PlayStation All-Stars Creator

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
poor presentation, boring gameplay and a mediocre cast... those are the reasons why this game sucks
being a clone of SSB doesn't matter

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I've also edited this post to show how many are also available in North America and Europe (I didn't include Australia releases). Its certainly popular enough of a genre to be released in both territories. In fact the games i mentioned haven't even been released in Japan.
Released doesn't mean developed somewhere/sold well somewhere. I can't think of any Smash-like games that sold exceptionally-well in the West - it was always Smash, although Smash-like games have been localized to have a slice of the cake. It's kinda like Call of Duty and the "Call of Duty-likes" - they're there, but... they're not necessarily successful.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I can't think of any Smash-like games that sold exceptionally-well in the West - it was always Smash

As I have not played the game in question my opening troll probably wants to be something like "pah Jump Ultimate Stars".

Back on topic in some ways I would probably class Marvel Vs Capcom as a sort of mascot driven fighting game. Granted after that it falls to something like Cartoon Network Punch time explosion or Mortal Kombat vs DC so your point still stands.

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Released doesn't mean developed somewhere/sold well somewhere. I can't think of any Smash-like games that sold exceptionally-well in the West - it was always Smash, although Smash-like games have been localized to have a slice of the cake. It's kinda like Call of Duty and the "Call of Duty-likes" - they're there, but... they're not necessarily successful.

Well my reply to that would be, even in Japan, has any game in the genre sold better than Smash? Its kind of the be-all-end-all game of the genre. Sure the genre probably does sell better in Japan, but I'm sure Smash still sells the best of all in the genre worldwide.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Back before the Playstation came out, yes, Sony wanted the royalties for the games on the Snes CD add-on.

Well, when Nintendo and Sony's collaboration fell apart, Nintendo decided to go with a little company named Phillips. They gave us...

Yeah. In the meantime, Sony decided that they would make their own console (with blackjack and hookers!), creating the PS1. And we all know the story from there...

I think Nintendo still regrets their decision.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, when Nintendo and Sony's collaboration fell apart, Nintendo decided to go with a little company named Phillips. They gave us...

Yeah. In the meantime, Sony decided that they would make their own console (with blackjack and hookers!), creating the PS1. And we all know the story from there...

I think Nintendo still regrets their decision.

It's pretty funny how history repeats itself, you know Nintendo tried to license the NES too Atari before saying "Hell with it lets just launch it ourselves."

Edit: I try to pretend the Philips CDI doesn't exist as a game system.... That and the Pippin and some other really god forsaken systems...

Edit 2: Just case no one knows what the Pippin is... lol http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Pippin

Reactions: Gahars

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
Nice to see a PSABR thread with most people screaming "SMASH BROS CLONE, LOL SONY!", while most haven't probably even played the retail versions. :glare:

The game didn't sell well, after all! :P That should be a testament as to how much of the games' criticism is actually founded. Don't knock it 'till you try it, folks!

RodrigoDavy

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
It's pretty funny how history repeats itself, you know Nintendo tried to license the NES to Atari before saying "Hell with it lets just launch it ourselves."

It was a different case, Nintendo already had experience as a gaming company back then, having made succesful arcade games and the famicom was already succesful in Japan. Truth is Nintendo was afraid of Atari since it was still the biggest video game company in the world in that time.

On the other hand, Sony had no experience with the video game market, had never developed even arcade machines let alone consoles. And Sony wasn't trying to license a console to Nintendo, it's the other way around, Nintendo was the one who wanted Sony to fabricate a CD add-on for the super nes. (At least before the sudden change of mind they had)

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was a different case, Nintendo already had experience as a gaming company back then, having made succesful arcade games and the famicom was already succesful in Japan. Truth is Nintendo was afraid of Atari since it was still the biggest video game company in the world in that time.

On the other hand, Sony had no experience with the video game market, had never developed even arcade machines let alone consoles. And Sony wasn't trying to license a console to Nintendo, it's the other way around, Nintendo was the one who wanted Sony to fabricate a CD add-on for the super nes. (At least before the sudden change of mind they had)

The reason Nintendo backed out on the SNES CD add on deal was that Sony wanted 100% of the profits for CD based games made on the system. About Sony not having any experience in game systems, they had been making components for game systems for years. Even the SNES uses a Sony sound processor. So they where not exactly new to the scene.

At the time when the PS1 launched Sony was a huge company, they pretty much owned the high end TV, Stereo, Walkman markets. Things are of course vastly different now and Sony is in a rough place.

On the CD add on for the SNES, if I was Nintendo I would have told Sony to get bent too.

kilikman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
This doesn't really come as a huge surprise to me, not to jump on the game's 'hate band-wagon' or anything, but it seemed like an idea mostly riddled with mediocrity from the get-go. That probably didn't help sales.

It's a shame to see an idle company get its (what I believe to be) first game to end up like this.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I knew like everybody else did how Sony and the PS1 originated, but I didn't know that was the reason.

Yeah it was buried in the contract Sony was trying to feed Nintendo at the time, they wanted the add on treated like a PS1 when it came to CD's and a SNES when it came to carts. I am sure the reverse of it was Nintendo wanted Sony to make the thing and sell it with Nintendo getting all the profits from the software, and they couldn't come to some sort of middle ground.

Reactions: eyes

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't a bad game, I just want to emphasize that. I thought the cast was good although some of it felt more like a sales pitch (new Dante instead of old for DmC for instance, I give Raiden a pass since he's much more hand-to-hand focused than Snake and there's already a share of ranged characters like Nathan Drake and Radec). People bitch about a lack of Spyro and Crash and, while a shame, it's not really in Sony's control. It still has some of the best Playstation characters. Nathan Drake (Uncharted is a fucking amazing series, U2 being quite honestly one of the best games ever made at least), Kratos, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, etc. People here may just not like the cast because they don't like Sony IPs. If you do though, it's a solid cast.

Gameplay, I'll give it a try eventually (probably get the game when it's $30-$40 new on PS3 so I can crossbuy it) other than the brief time I played, but I've heard enjoyable things about it and it's a solid fighter.

The game just didn't seem well advertised and not everyone wants a new fighting game. It's not as engrained as Street Fighter or Tekken. Most of our big name fighting IPs have been around for years, it's really hard to get a new foot in the door. The game falls more on the Street Fighter side of fighting games, not that "not really a fighting game but people like to call it that" side of SSB.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It wasn't a bad game, I just want to emphasize that. I thought the cast was good although some of it felt more like a sales pitch (new Dante instead of old for DmC for instance, I give Raiden a pass since he's much more hand-to-hand focused than Snake and there's already a share of ranged characters like Nathan Drake and Radec). People bitch about a lack of Spyro and Crash and, while a shame, it's not really in Sony's control. It still has some of the best Playstation characters. Nathan Drake (Uncharted is a fucking amazing series, U2 being quite honestly one of the best games ever made at least), Kratos, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, etc. People here may just not like the cast because they don't like Sony IPs. If you do though, it's a solid cast.

Gameplay, I'll give it a try eventually (probably get the game when it's $30-$40 new on PS3 so I can crossbuy it) other than the brief time I played, but I've heard enjoyable things about it and it's a solid fighter.

The game just didn't seem well advertised and not everyone wants a new fighting game. It's not as engrained as Street Fighter or Tekken. Most of our big name fighting IPs have been around for years, it's really hard to get a new foot in the door. The game falls more on the Street Fighter side of fighting games, not that "not really a fighting game but people like to call it that" side of SSB.

Honestly, if they couldn't get Spyro, they should have tried their hardest to get Crash Bandicoot though. Even then, they should be trying to get Spyro back from Activision, as Activision hasn't done Spyro good at all. And same with Crash, when the fuck was the last good Crash game? And it's under Activision's wing as well. These are some of the titles that made the PlayStation. They have no problem getting Big Daddy in the game but yet they can't get any of their flagship characters?

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly, if they couldn't get Spyro, they should have tried their hardest to get Crash Bandicoot though. Even then, they should be trying to get Spyro back from Activision, as Activision hasn't done Spyro good at all. And same with Crash, when the fuck was the last good Crash game? And it's under Activision's wing as well. These are some of the titles that made the PlayStation. They have no problem getting Big Daddy in the game but yet they can't get any of their flagship characters?

Big Daddy could also be seen as a sales pitch for Bioshock Infinite. When they license him out, they help advertise for something. When they license out Spyro or Crash, they're advertising for nothing.

Also they were some flagship characters back in the day but they've since been outdone. The PS2 was marked with Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, and Kratos. The PS3 was marked by Nathan Drake, Sackboy, and Cole McGrath. It's just changing times.

Admittedly they could've used one of the Resistance protagonists, a stage based on Gran Tarismo, and they were rumors surrounding Ico/Yorda and Wanderer from SotC. Now there's still the possibility of DLC but I wouldn't count on Crash or Spyro.

Even if they did get them, you'd probably get Skylanders Spyro and that stupid surfer bro Crash.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
I kinda feel bad for them. It looks like they honestly tried to make an appealing game, but failed. The main kicker was the lacking roster. (Spyro, Crash, where where you?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea is pretty good