Sony announces PS Vita TV

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
A mod doesn't count , strictly speaking emulators do not either as they are not official products. The PS4 is an unknown factor still. I know a few people who absolutely hate handhelds and would actually like an alternative option to be able to play portable games on their tv instead of a handheld through a cheap console type solution.

Really this is nothing new and there has always been a market for this type of thing, look at things like the super game boy and game boy player as an example.
You asked for a "solution to play Vita games on the TV", how does a mod not qualify?
If you mod a Wii to play burned games, is that not "a solution to play downloaded wii games"?

Anyhow, granted, emulators will not replace official hardware, people still will rather use a PSP or a Wii as opposed to PPSSPP or Dolphin.
And yes having an option to play portable games on a TV is a wonderful option, people always like those and there's always a market for it.
However once again, where the Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player were able to do everything you needed to play a game (except for special exceptions like games with special hardware), the PS Vita TV lacks the touch controls necessary to operate a good chunk of the games for the system? I'm not sure but I don't know about the status of anything motion based either, dunno if the Dualshock has that covered.

Reactions: TripleSMoon

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
You asked for a "solution to play Vita games on the TV", how does a mod not qualify?
If you mod a Wii to play burned games, is that not "a solution to play downloaded wii games"?

Because like I said it isn't an official product/solution that is available to the masses, it is a niche thing that only a few people will do. It is the equivalent of saying SNES, N64, NES games etc don't need to be available on the 3DS eshop because a few modders out there can make portable N64, SNES and NES handhelds.

Your wii analogy is irrelevant btw.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Because like I said it isn't an official product/solution that is available to the masses, it is a niche thing that only a few people will do. It is the equivalent of saying SNES, N64, NES games etc don't need to be available on the 3DS eshop because a few modders out there can make portable N64, SNES and NES handhelds.

Your wii analogy is irrelevant btw.
Fair enough, but you still just asked for a solution.

How is the wii analogy irrelevant, in what sense?

I don't disagree with the idea of playing handheld games on the big screen, heck that's a very serviceable idea.
But it's not worth it if you cannot play all of the games that system offers, it seems pointless when you don't know which games can be playable or not as the game might use the touch screen for a one-off instance, because it's assumed the Vita will never not have this feature.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I will be getting this on launch, it's only $99, it can play the physical titles I own plus the 5 digital titles already on my memory stick and I can play them on my HDTV. There's the problem with the touch aspects but most games have the touch controls also mapped to the buttons.

RIP Ouya, you were dead on arrival and now you are a buried and forgotten memory.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Sony Does what Nintendon't. And Nintendo can really learn from this. They could EASILY make a Nintendo3DS/DS Cart Peripheral that connects to your Wii U, and that's it. But No, Iwata is so disconnected with fans and what they want these days.
Because, you know, they totally didn't already do this years ago, right? The Super Game Boy and Game Boy Player weren't actual things, right?

Here we go again... Nintendo releases something cool, and people forget about it (or even mock it) over the years. Then Sony releases something similar (sometimes years later) and people are like "DURR, Nintendo is so out of touch, why don't they do this??"

Back on topic though, I think I might actually grab this thing, eventually. There are a small number of Vita games that I do want to play, and while $200 on a Vita is a bit much for just those few games, $100 seems a reasonable price, at least for me.

Besides, playing PSP games on a big screen (without having to use an annoying cable) would be pretty cool.

Reactions: KingVamp

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Sony, you should market some TVs with the PS Vita TV hardware built-in (or provide a slot for it in all your TVs). It would almost certainly make me think about buying a Sony TV when I upgrade soon.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
This is the stupidest thing ever guess they are finally giving up on the Vita.......I have an expensive PS4 controller then i guess :angry:
Yeah, damn them for opening up the Vita to various types of gamers (stay at home, on the go, console preference, or handheld preferred), putting it at a realistic price point for a handheld turned into a small home console, and trying their damndest to keep the Vita selling. Stupid Sony, trying to make sure their product is successful. Who do they think they are? :angry:

thebsharp

Why'd you have to go and Gunt my fries?
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the idea, though, I would have preferred an HDMI out solution instead for the Vita. Here are my questions. We know that games that require touchscreen games won't be compatible. We know that PS3 dualshocks work with this. What happens when the PS4 comes around? The PS4 controller has a touchpad. The OUYA has a touchpad that makes certain android games/apps that require touch playable. Will the PS4's controller do something similar? Will it even be compatible at all?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I really like this PS Vita TV, I'm very inclined to buy one.

I like the idea, though, I would have preferred an HDMI out solution instead for the Vita. Here are my questions. We know that games that require touchscreen games won't be compatible. We know that PS3 dualshocks work with this. What happens when the PS4 comes around? The PS4 controller has a touchpad. The OUYA has a touchpad that makes certain android games/apps that require touch playable. Will the PS4's controller do something similar? Will it even be compatible at all?
It is said that DS4 controller will allow some Vita games to be played. Sony will most likely add support of DS4 controller later on.

Reactions: thebsharp

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
It is said that DS4 controller will allow some Vita games to be played. Sony will most likely add support of DS4 controller later on.
The trailer video shows a PS4 controller used with the PSVita TV as far as I can see. I'd imagine that'd be 100% compatible with touch based interactions or the hardware itself could compensate it with some kind of solution. We've seen that a ton of times (hardware/software emulate or compensate for a piece of hardware missing).

As a PSVita owner, I see this very much welcome. Some games honestly lack any kind of meanful touch input (P4G comes to mind straight away), quite a few games could easily work without touch (Uncharted: GA (puzzles and such aside)) and future games could make do with an updated SDK (if they haven't done this yet). Interesting side is still the PS4 compatibility. I'd imagine that kind of feature was welcome to any other console too, especially if it works without any hiccups!

I thought those bombed pretty hard? At least the GBP did, it's kinda rare to find nowadays, in fact.
That is very true. The only thing here making a difference compared to the previous adaptations is the now available online interface. Such a handheld compatible TV box is very impractical if you have only physical options available. Digital sales and network make it a lot more tempting for many, me among them.

Radz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I were going to buy a PS Vita, this would probably be the way I'd do it. Still, I'm not buying anything Vita unless I end up winning the lottery or something. I am much happier with my 3DS and Wii U right now.

Maybe I'll get a PS4 (and only because MS did such a horrible PR job with the XBone ordeal and trying to screw us all), but I'm staying away from Sony handhelds.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sony, you should market some TVs with the PS Vita TV hardware built-in (or provide a slot for it in all your TVs). It would almost certainly make me think about buying a Sony TV when I upgrade soon.

They did that with the PS3 and guess how far that took'em. This device is small, very portable, very affordable and does what it's supposed to do - I have no complaints.

...can't wait to Remote Play games onto the PSVita Remote TV from my PS4 which is standing next to it instead of playing them on my PS4*. ;O;

*Yes, I know it's supposed to be a multi-room type feature - shush! I'm making a funny here! :angry:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://stockanalysis.com/stocks/ntdoy/market-cap/ I think they'll be alright