Sony announces PS Vita TV

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by air2004, Sep 9, 2013.

1. air2004
    OP

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    Sony has just announced PlayStation Vita TV, a 6 x 10cm console and set-top box that connects to a TV. It's based on PS Vita hardware, and besides playing Vita, PSP, and PS1 games, also offers access to a range of entertainment services and PlayStation 4 cross-functionality. It will cost 9,480 yen, or around $95 excluding sales tax, and is out in Japan on November 14th. A separate bundle, including a DualShock 3 controller and 8GB memory card, will sell for 14,280 yen ($143).

Link
    http://www.theverge.com/2013/9/9/4710080/sony-ps-vita-tv

2. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States
    I think its neat and having more options to get into gaming is fantastic.

I like the under $100 price point and makes it a great deal.

About the only downside I can see is that what the Vita needs right now is more software not more hardware. That being said perhaps this low price point will help Sony move some more hardware and get developers more interested?

3. raulpica

raulpica With your drill, thrust to the sky!

Supervisor
    Oct 23, 2007
    Italy
    PowerLevel: 9001
    PSVita TV a.k.a. "look developers, more models = more units sold! can we haz gaems for Vita now, pretty plz?"

Fyrus, Duo8, nukeboy95 and 4 others like this.
  4. rizzod

rizzod Not a New Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Sony Does what Nintendon't. And Nintendo can really learn from this. They could EASILY make a Nintendo3DS/DS Cart Peripheral that connects to your Wii U, and that's it. But No, Iwata is so disconnected with fans and what they want these days.

5. GBA rocks

GBA rocks GBAtemp Fan

Jan 4, 2013
    hacked ps vita TV + 64gb memory stick + ps1 isos + HDMI out + dead silent (unlike ps3) + dualshock 3 wireless (unlike actual PS1 + PSIO sd card loader) = ultimate ps1 machine for HDMI TVs

except for the lag introduced by ps1 emulation + LCD processing VS an actual ps1 + CRT

Duo8, Ericthegreat and reprep like this.
  6. pasc

pasc GBATemps official GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Gambia, The
    Germany
    What would this achieve again ?

Duo8, kenjixx, T Link7 and 2 others like this.
  7. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    i want this. the slot for vita games has been shown, so i assume psp and ps1 games are psn only. till it is hacked, i will hold on to my psp go with tv out and dualshock 3 then.

if it uses normal vita firmware, ecfw can be installed which will make it an instant buy for me.

i really admire sony for doing this (making their latest handheld an affordable console). hope nintendo takes a lesson.

also for touchpad needing games, it would be great if a real vita can be used, achieving video out via the vita tv.

8. Psionic Roshambo

Psionic Roshambo GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2011
    United States

I think he was being sarcastic?

At least I hope he was... lol

9. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I'm guessing it would be like connecting the GBA to the Gamecube in Four Swords.

10. kristianity77

kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

Jul 10, 2003
    Bewdley, UK
    So this is a vita basically without the screen that connects to a HDTV which supports PSP and PS1. If there is any kind of upscaling going on with the PSP and PS1, id be all over this

11. RupeeClock

RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

May 15, 2008
    When Nintendo release a budget solution, it still has everything you need to play the games, wifi, motion controls, internal storage etc. It just lacks a 3D effect, a stereo speaker and a clamshell design.
    When Sony release a budget solution, it lacks vital features necessary for the operation of a large selection of its games.

I mean come on, seriously? I sure there are certain advantages to the Vita TV as PSP or media services are concerned, but with the emergence of PPSSPP and dozens of other media solutions, what purpose does the PS Vita TV actually serve?

Fyrus, Duo8 and KingVamp like this.
  12. Veho

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    I am going to point you towards the Wii Mini.

Foxi4 likes this.
  13. FireGrey

FireGrey Undercover Admin

Apr 13, 2010
    I thought that I would never, ever get a PSVita, then this...
    Damn Sony, you got your shit together this year!

14. RupeeClock

May 15, 2008
    Fair point, though we're discussing handheld systems here.

Sony also released the PSP E-1000 as you might recall, which lacked wifi.
    Edit: What's more is that although the Wii Mini lacked wifi and an SD slot, it still had everything you needed to play multiplayer games locally.

15. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    Name me one other media service or solution that lets you play PS Vita games on your tv.

cearp, GameWinner and xwatchmanx like this.
  16. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey

Well, they did do this, but they called it the Gameboy Player.

Anyway, this is pretty neat. I'm not one for handhelds, but there quite a few PSP and PSV titles that I've been in interested over the years. Something like this is exactly what I've been waiting for. Portability is for chumps and chumpettes anyway.

T Link7 and xwatchmanx like this.
  17. RupeeClock

May 15, 2008
    I'm not sure I see the point in doing so, if you forgo motion controls and touch sensors.
    A PS Vita capture card mod does apparently exist.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps-vita-video-output-mod-review
    What's more is that I might expect the PS4 to support a way to play Vita games on the big screen, using an actual Vita in communications. Didn't the PS3 have something like that with the PSP?

18. Veho

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    PS Vita TV is a home console, so we're not.

19. indask8

indask8 New Member Forever

Apr 19, 2007
    France
    Look at the Flag...
    Nintendo is going to release the 1DS in 3...2...1...

20. p1ngpong

p1ngpong Unamused frog

Former Staff
    Apr 18, 2008
    Croatia
    DS Scene
    A mod doesn't count , strictly speaking emulators do not either as they are not official products. The PS4 is an unknown factor still. I know a few people who absolutely hate handhelds and would actually like an alternative option to be able to play portable games on their tv instead of a handheld through a cheap console type solution.

Really this is nothing new and there has always been a market for this type of thing, look at things like the super game boy and game boy player as an example.

wrettcaughn likes this.