Homebrew Sonic mania port to wii u

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Alright, I'm late in saying this, but with Clownacy's approval, I can finally show you what he did for the Mania Wii U port a while back for any of you to play around with it.

Download it here

To use it, you'll need to insert Data.rsdk over at '[path to SD card]/RSDK/v5 along with the .rpx file, IIRC.

Copypasta from Clownacy's message over at MDDC's Discord server:

* The button mappings are that of an Xbox controller and not a Nintendo controller (A is the bottom button, not the rightmost one).

* 3D lags badly (this affects the Special Stages and SSZ boss).

* The home button doesn't do anything. If I try to make it do anything, the game just crashes. I think it's a bug in the SDL2 port that I'm using, because I don't know how Mania could be causing it.

* There's no way at all to quit. You have to hold the console's power button to turn the console off. Even if I add the 'exit' button from the PC version to the main menu, it doesn't actually quit: the game just crashes.

However, seeing that there's already a much better port out there, I figured I'd leave this here for any of you to try out.
Played up to Chemical Plant Zone in Mania Mode, Went through the Blue Spheres stage, Special stage. No random crashes so far.

No screen filters. Languages change fine. I unlocked Time Attack and Competition modes. Played some Encore Mode. It runs top notch! A cool sign of things to come. Thanks goes to Clownacy for this preview build of the Sonic Mania game on the Wii U.

tehtemp

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Alright, I'm late in saying this, but with Clownacy's approval, I can finally show you what he did for the Mania Wii U port a while back for any of you to play around with it.

Download it here

To use it, you'll need to insert Data.rsdk over at '[path to SD card]/RSDK/v5 along with the .rpx file, IIRC.

Copypasta from Clownacy's message over at MDDC's Discord server:

* The button mappings are that of an Xbox controller and not a Nintendo controller (A is the bottom button, not the rightmost one).

* 3D lags badly (this affects the Special Stages and SSZ boss).

* The home button doesn't do anything. If I try to make it do anything, the game just crashes. I think it's a bug in the SDL2 port that I'm using, because I don't know how Mania could be causing it.

* There's no way at all to quit. You have to hold the console's power button to turn the console off. Even if I add the 'exit' button from the PC version to the main menu, it doesn't actually quit: the game just crashes.

However, seeing that there's already a much better port out there, I figured I'd leave this here for any of you to try out.
Thanks DeltaWooloo! Works quite well. Like niuus, I reached Chemical Plant Zone before calling it a night.

Here's a quick HBL icon.png for those too lazy to create one!

Attachments

• icon.png
    icon.png
    37.9 KB · Views: 42

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks DeltaWooloo! Works quite well. Like niuus, I reached Chemical Plant Zone before calling it a night.

Here's a quick HBL icon.png for those too lazy to create one!
Aaah you beat me to it again lol :yayu:

I was gonna make a forwarder but ofcourse it would be a haxchi one if anyone wants?

• Haha
Reactions: tehtemp

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I was gonna make a forwarder but ofcourse it would be a haxchi one
Why ofc? I mean you could use this as a base: https://github.com/V10lator/sohwf - simply exchange the meta files (esp the title ID!) and this one line of code: https://github.com/V10lator/sohwf/blob/master/src/main.c#L16
Then use Docker to get the forwarder. Note that you need to handle the Wii Us common key to it through (on GitHub actions this is automated: https://github.com/V10lator/sohwf/blob/master/.github/workflows/master.yml#L32 ). ;)

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Wait... I thought that Radfordhound who was working on the port for the Wii U (he's the Twitter guy and the one who did live yesterday showing the progress of the port, he was trying to fix the problem of the lagging stage special), has two different people working on the port?

Maybe they can work together, it would speed up the progress and they could get the port perfect.

[EDIT]
Btw, works fine for me with the Steam files, Thank you so mutch. xD
JbrJMzt.png

NbBCu4n.png

yRfs2wP.png
Where to set the patch? wiiu/app/sonicmania/data.rsdk+sonicmania.rpx

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Why ofc? I mean you could use this as a base: https://github.com/V10lator/sohwf - simply exchange the meta files (esp the title ID!) and this one line of code: https://github.com/V10lator/sohwf/blob/master/src/main.c#L16
Then use Docker to get the forwarder. Note that you need to handle the Wii Us common key to it through (on GitHub actions this is automated: https://github.com/V10lator/sohwf/blob/master/.github/workflows/master.yml#L32 ). ;)
Thanks for that, I will give it a go. I never had any success unless it was a haxchi edited one so i began to stick to them, thanks again!

@sonictopfan

Game goes in Sd/wiiu/apps/sonicmaniaplus/sonicmaniaplus.rpx

Data goes in
Sd/RSDK/v5/data.rsdk

If these are giving you a black screen I would suggest that you source another rsdk file.

Last edited by Lostbhoy,

Moon164

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I played for 2 hours with the Clownacy port.

Unfortunately the game crashed for me on Flying Battery Act 1.
Also I noticed that the game does not work with the Wii Remote or Wii U Pro Controller and if the Wii U Gamepad is disconnected you cannot control Sonic in the game even after connecting it again, Screen filters and language changes don't work either.

I really appreciate the effort, it was amazing to be able to play this on the Wii U, but I recommend waiting for the Radfordhound port as he promised to fix these problems.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thanks for that, I will give it a go. I never had any success unless it was a haxchi edited one so i began to stick to them, thanks again!

@sonictopfan

Game goes in Sd/wiiu/apps/sonicmaniaplus.rpx

Data goes in
Sd/RSDK/v5/data.rsdk

If these are giving you a black screen I would suggest that you source another rsdk file.
Just a minor suggestion, so in the future both ports can coexist if the user wants to, as 0.1 is the final build. Make your forwarder point to clownacy's port at:
SD:/wiiu/apps/SonicManiaPlus01/sonicmaniaplus.rpx

And:
SD:/wiiu/apps/SonicMania01/sonicmania.rpx

This way, the future port can use:
SD:/wiiu/apps/SonicManiaPlus/sonicmaniaplus.rpx

SD:/wiiu/apps/SonicMania/sonicmania.rpx

That one will probably (and hopefully) read the Data.rsdk from the rpx location instead of a folder outside the app.

and if the Wii U Gamepad is disconnected you cannot control Sonic in the game even after connecting it again,
Not true. I purposefully powered off the Gamepad and reconnected, both on the menu and in-game. Still worked.

language changes don't work either.
Again, not true. Languages work perfect.

but I recommend waiting for the Radfordhound port as he promised to fix these problems
That's a bit rude, don't you think? After all, the point was to start enjoying the game while rad takes his time doing all the things he mentioned wanting to do in his stream. Clownacy's port was made in record time and almost fully functional.

Last edited by niuus,

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Idk which version you guys are playing but this is the version I’m using and it seems to run fine for me, make sure it’s version 0.2 though.

Edit: also if you use a settings file you can change the name to whatever, similar to how the PS Vita version works.

Edit 2: tapping the top left of the touch screen opens the dev menu where you can skip to any level you want, special stage or whatever and it’ll save your progress, you can even use it to retry a special stage as many times as you want.

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Idk which version you guys are playing but this is the version I’m using and it seems to run fine for me, make sure it’s version 0.2 though.

Edit: also if you use a settings file you can change the name to whatever, similar to how the PS Vita version works.

Edit 2: tapping the top left of the touch screen opens the dev menu where you can skip to any level you want, special stage or whatever and it’ll save your progress, you can even use it to retry a special stage as many times as you want.
It went live just 5 hours ago. Kudos again to Clownacy.

I'm currently on Flying Battery Zone 2, so i'll finish the game first and then upgrade to the new version.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Finally got a bit of free time to try this out and Happy Days it runs much better than it does on my PC. No issues found other than the 3d bonus levels running slow but that's no biggy. Blows my mind that the unofficial WiiU version runs better for me than the official PC version lol. Homebrew devs are AWESOME.

wolf-snake

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I don't know if its part of the decomp project or is it because of the version of Mania Plus that im using but you can press the X button to instantly get a speed up during the special stages allowing you to reach max speed at the start and don't waste too much time in them if you happen to find one because of the lag.

Reactions: sonictopfan

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER