Sonic Frontiers has leaked on Switch ahead of its release date

asdsadasddas.png

Sonic Frontiers isn't out yet officially, but leaked NSP copies of the game are spreading across the internet. The Nintendo Switch version of the game has been dumped a week ahead of its release date. Cutscenes and gameplay are cropping up on YouTube as well, of it running on the Switch, or even of people playing it using the Ryujinx emulator. As always, please remember that sharing warez is against GBAtemp's ToS.

:arrow: Discussion Thread

FiInfinity

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Played the leak, outside of the aforementioned performance issues, it's just not a very fun game. Sonic sounds REALLY off, the open world feels incredibly lifeless and soulless, and is just a mishmash of random springs, platforms, and rails everywhere that feel completely out of place, and collectables are EVERYWHERE. That's not a good thing, as it means it's slow and tedious just walking from boring platform challenge to platform challenge every five steps to grab a random collectable. The story is barebones so far, and what few levels there are are just rehashed levels from other games (WOO nostalgia pandering) but in 40 second snippets.

And the soundtrack? Hoo boy, from what I've heard so far (and I'm still early on), there's absolutely nothing there. The one constant that you could rely upon for a Sonic game has finally been removed. It's just sooooo bland, your traditional open world extremely basic background noise. The level themes themselves are just these synth tracks, which don't sound terrible, but have nothing that makes them stand out. No memorable melodies like in the other games, I could not hum a single track from the game if I was held at gunpoint.And of course, obligatory fishing minigame.

The controls are also that weird slippiness that Sonic has had in the 3D boost games where he just doesn't feel 'right' to control when you're wandering around, including a complete inability to turn around during jumps which makes it so you can jump at a thing to the left of you, and Sonic will careen right and fall off the edge despite the fact that your stick wasn't pointing ANYWHERE to the right.

But probably still better than Forces, so 8/10.

Quick edit: I had originally intended to download and only play a few minutes of it, in the hopes that it was good, so I could purchase it on Steam and support the devs. I will no longer do that, and just finish the Switch version, I don't feel it's worth the 60 bucks. Maybe when it drops to like 20 I'd actually pay for it.

jesus96

Pinkboi
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I played a bit and honestly looks very bad on portable mode,if you are going to play this do on TV,it legitimately can hurt your eyes with the rain effects

About the performance around 30 - 24 when it rains or theres more than 5 enemies

Well going to get it on xbox

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I for one am very excited to play Sonic Frontiers once it reaches PC, I really hope it does well, it also looks good visually. I hope it does better than most modern Sonic games since 2006.
Sonic 06 had the potential to be spectacular, but Sega having rushed it out incomplete and unfinished it never was the game it was meant to.

Fingers crossed Sonic Frontiers isn't another shitty game botched by Sega.

Souperman9

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Tried it out on switch and yeah, it's pretty much what I expected.
I was really hoping for this to be great, but everything @FiInfinity said is true. Kinda reminds me of the Balan Wonderworld demo when I tried that, in that it actually made me physically feel sick. Not because of the camera or motion sickness or anything like that, but just because of how awful it feels to play.

Performance and visuals are awful too - I would say that's forgivable for running on switch, but it's genuinely at a level so bad that when I think about the fact that Sega actually wants to sell this as a full-priced experience, it doesn't look so good.

TobiasAmaranth

Trophies
Website
werewolfdarkarts.com
XP
Country
United States
Two worlds in so far. Enjoying it quite a bit. I can say decisively that the early content of the game is very weak, and the rain really looks bad on the Switch. However, once you get a little bit further, it starts to feel a lot better. Latter portions of the first world and almost all of the second world have been lots of fun. Second is definitely better than the first, though. Looks way better, too.

Reached the third world, but I have to put it away for today. I'm 100% on the first two worlds, though. Normal difficulty, Sonic Speed settings with a few tweaks to turning selections (40/40/25 I believe) to fix some control issues. Only stage I had trouble with was 1-2's S-rank. Took me way too many attempts but all the other stages have been relatively easy.

It's a little weird in that there's infinite resources available. Nothing is limited to a single piece of content. I guess that's for accessibility reasons. I don't mind. I still will collect all the friendship-medals shown on the map.

I think that for anyone bothered by the pop-in (which is actually done really well with regards to prioritizing relevant sections as you need them) the PC-etc versions will handle that better. It's only mildly annoying, at least, due to some well-crafted compartmentalizing / grouping of the individual pathways.

Actual stages are pretty fun. I haven't played a 3D Sonic in quite a while so I don't really have any "BUT BUT!" reactions towards what they chose to put in. 1-2.5 minute stages that are just... relaxing? Mostly, it's nothing hard. Just basic enjoyable stuff. I like when they have the 2D sections.

Seems like there's 5 worlds, but I'm not sure how 4/5 are supposed to work. Tails and the "third of three" titans. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

Edit:
Finished the game. Four worlds, plus a cinematic type area with some special challenges. Total of about 30 hours of gameplay to get 100% on things. I still have a few medals to get in the last world, but I started to get a bit bored.

Fishing is broken and will get you maxed stats with basic completion efforts. The game has very kid-friendly tuning. That's not a bad thing. Games like this have a lot of value in teaching proper control in three-dimensional space.

Only had a few overall issues. Sonic gets a bit unpredictable when you start upgrading his speed, sometimes becoming unhinged from the active pathing he's speeding through. It didn't happen too often, though, and I learned to mitigate it by just not boosting constantly. The other thing that got under my skin, though, was the green-black walls. They just don't operate consistently. That was my most frequent source of do-overs for the various mini-sections.

Ending was... hmm, not as epic as some of the earlier stuff. Maybe it could have been more epic if I wasn't stat-maxed and on normal difficulty? I think the second boss was my fav, and same goes for that world being my favorite. Story was short and simple. Random references to other games during side-dialogue. Seems to try to set up some spin-offs for future games, such as a Tails-centric game or Amy-centric game. We'll see. Maybe DLC with them.

Oh, and afterwards I noticed an Arcade Mode where you can store time-records but I didn't mess with that any.

Anyways, had fun, totally maxed out on speed stuff for a little while, though.

Last edited by TobiasAmaranth,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    sigh
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @a_username_that_isnt_cool, could you change your username?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i guess not...
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    anybody here?
  • P @ PKNate:
    nope
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fun fact: 7 years by lukas graham, supermassive black hole by muse, and megalomania all have the same bpm
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    girls just wanna have fun and renai circulation also share the same tempo as the few i said before
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, megalomania the live a live song?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    wait no, megalovania*
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    my bad
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't forgive you
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    The nerve of that guy, gosh.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah expecting me to forgive gtfo
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    But how could the Dr have known you didn't want to be circumcized?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    He didn't you just wanted your dick to be fondled
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Watching dune 2 it's eh
    Dune one sucked
    The original with Patrick Stewart was Great
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    A sexual psycopath that love pain where have I heard that before
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In your high school diary?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: No but your wife let's me read her diary the word psychopath comes up more than sexual +1