Homebrew game Sonic CD + 1 + 2 Decomps for Wii U

muniryka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I’ve been playing Forever and Absolute mods for the past two days and I’ve come to some workarounds to reduce crashes to the minimum, not to go into details since it’s a bit complicated to explain but my guess is the crashes are due to improper cache clear in between levels or something of the sort, either way there seems to be a pattern, my workaround is not ideal as you still do need to quit the game a lot in between levels but it’s better than having to force shut down every two levels.
Can you tell me what's your workaround?
Post automatically merged:

okay.... I think this is them!! I only have Sonic 1 and 2 as personally... CD sucks and plays better in Genplus Wii anyway lol

Give 'em a try.... nothin' fancy. They may point to sonic1 or 2/RSDKv4.rpx as it was that long ago!
Well I feel like CD plays better in RetroArch.
ALSO. The CD port is better cuz it has wide-screen, you might as well make a Sonic CD channel (pretty please?) I want it so baaaaad

Reactions: sonictopfan

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
Can you tell me what's your workaround?

Well I feel like CD plays better in RetroArch.
ALSO. The CD port is better cuz it has wide-screen, you might as well make a Sonic CD channel (pretty please?) I want it so baaaaad
I also like Sonic CD more so than Sonic 2 tbh.

The workaround is a bit hard to explain but the jest of it is you press the home button to instantly go back to the homebrew launcher after every level so you don’t overflow the cache and have the game crash.

In Sonic 2 unless you’re going after the emeralds you can play up to four acts (two zones... except for Metropolis since it’s already 3 acts) then at the beginning of the next level hit home to reload the homebrew launcher, it’s tedious but it reduces the crashes almost to none and you won’t have to force shut the console.

However, if you’re going after the emeralds then you can play ONLY up to two special stages per act, otherwise it’ll crash on the third, and always close the game with the home menu after each act, it’s unfortunate the game won’t save your emeralds until you complete a level hence why you can only play two special stages per act.

In Sonic 1, once again unless you’re going after the emeralds you can clear up to three acts (one zone) for the most part, I seem to always get a crash at the start of Labyrinth Act 1 and before and after Scrap Brain Act 3 regardless, still no clue how to avoid those, also make sure to exit with the home button during the ending cutscene before you get to the credits roll as that seems to always crash too, your progress will be saved as a clear save still, Labyrinth Acts 2 and 3 also require exiting in between otherwise they may lead to a crash, so basically in Labyrinth Zone just exit after each act you finish.

However, if you’re going after the emeralds you need to exit after each special stage, don’t play the next level because each special stage counts as a separate level, thankfully the game automatically save you at the start of a special stage if you quit during it and you can even quit with the home button if you accidently fall in the goal then relaunch the game and it’ll take you back to the start of the special stage.

Like I said it’s not the most ideal solution but atm it’s better than having to force reboot the system, in the case of Sonic 2 you can get a full run without the game crashing on you like this but unfortunately Sonic 1 will still crash 2-3 times with Labyrinth Act 1, Scrap Brain Act 3, and the staff roll unless you exit before it.

muniryka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
I also like Sonic CD more so than Sonic 2 tbh.

The workaround is a bit hard to explain but the jest of it is you press the home button to instantly go back to the homebrew launcher after every level so you don’t overflow the cache and have the game crash.

In Sonic 2 unless you’re going after the emeralds you can play up to four acts (two zones... except for Metropolis since it’s already 3 acts) then at the beginning of the next level hit home to reload the homebrew launcher, it’s tedious but it reduces the crashes almost to none and you won’t have to force shut the console.

However, if you’re going after the emeralds then you can play ONLY up to two special stages per act, otherwise it’ll crash on the third, and always close the game with the home menu after each act, it’s unfortunate the game won’t save your emeralds until you complete a level hence why you can only play two special stages per act.

In Sonic 1, once again unless you’re going after the emeralds you can clear up to three acts (one zone) for the most part, I seem to always get a crash at the start of Labyrinth Act 1 and before and after Scrap Brain Act 3 regardless, still no clue how to avoid those, also make sure to exit with the home button during the ending cutscene before you get to the credits roll as that seems to always crash too, your progress will be saved as a clear save still, Labyrinth Acts 2 and 3 also require exiting in between otherwise they may lead to a crash, so basically in Labyrinth Zone just exit after each act you finish.

However, if you’re going after the emeralds you need to exit after each special stage, don’t play the next level because each special stage counts as a separate level, thankfully the game automatically save you at the start of a special stage if you quit during it and you can even quit with the home button if you accidently fall in the goal then relaunch the game and it’ll take you back to the start of the special stage.

Like I said it’s not the most ideal solution but atm it’s better than having to force reboot the system, in the case of Sonic 2 you can get a full run without the game crashing on you like this but unfortunately Sonic 1 will still crash 2-3 times with Labyrinth Act 1, Scrap Brain Act 3, and the staff roll unless you exit before it.
So not only do these ports crash a lot but our only option to play them is the WII U Gamepad.. Wow
This is really such a dealbreaker

Reactions: sonictopfan

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all the sonic projects seem to be a wip. in fact, sonic cd, the main decomp repo, was just updated like a week ago. if you encounter issues, you should post an issue on github or come to the sonic decomp discord server.

sonictopfan

Trophies
XP
Country
So not only do these ports crash a lot but our only option to play them is the WII U Gamepad.. Wow
This is really such a dealbreaker
I don't have a pro controller any way but yeah the crashing is a deal breaker for me, I ended up disabling the mods, also unfortunately those forwarders Lostbhoy shared earlier, I've tested those and they crash the system a lot, sometimes they work other times they get hung up on start up, closing the game gets stuck too, I'm using titamisu though so maybe that's why it's incompatible idk but I uninstaller them too... I should never install forwarders on my Wii U that aren't official anymore I don't wanna brick my system and unfortunately many unofficial forwarders shared online are broken.

all the sonic projects seem to be a wip. in fact, sonic cd, the main decomp repo, was just updated like a week ago. if you encounter issues, you should post an issue on github or come to the sonic decomp discord server.
You mean the Wii U port received an update or the main repository? Cause on Wii U I can't even exit back to the homebrew launcher once the app starts, other than that it seems to run decently aside from slower special stages.

The PS Vita ports however are very broken I can't even beat a single level without any of them crashing and I don't think they've received any updates in years, only Sonic Mania on the Vita runs decently (By decently I mean it's still slow but playable)

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a pro controller any way but yeah the crashing is a deal breaker for me, I ended up disabling the mods, also unfortunately those forwarders Lostbhoy shared earlier, I've tested those and they crash the system a lot, sometimes they work other times they get hung up on start up, closing the game gets stuck too, I'm using titamisu though so maybe that's why it's incompatible idk but I uninstaller them too... I should never install forwarders on my Wii U that aren't official anymore I don't wanna brick my system and unfortunately many unofficial forwarders shared online are broken.

You mean the Wii U port received an update or the main repository? Cause on Wii U I can't even exit back to the homebrew launcher once the app starts, other than that it seems to run decently aside from slower special stages.

The PS Vita ports however are very broken I can't even beat a single level without any of them crashing and I don't think they've received any updates in years, only Sonic Mania on the Vita runs decently (By decently I mean it's still slow but playable)
the main repo.

muniryka

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
can you send me the link for this server?

_SoDa_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have a question in my settings.ini i set skipmenuscreen to false, but no matter what i do the mobile menu is just pitch black, can somebody help me?

YukidaruPunch

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Can't for the life of me make the mods run for some reason. I've been trying and trying and I don't know why. I tried it all. I can run the original decomps of both 1 and 2 just fine, but the mods simply do not load, so pressing either B or Start when in-game just freezes the whole thing.

Would anybody mind uploading all their folder structures for 1 and 2 with the mods already working and ready to go, BUT, obviously, without the rdsk files? Just a nice and tidy wiiu folder we could put on the root of the SD card, sans the Data files. Would do wonders and I'd be forever grateful.

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there acway to compile withe gamepad mwnu and pro controller support? Guessing there is no menu for these games, as i only have pause and start. (B button on the gamepad is also pause for some reason)

zwei_fuss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can't for the life of me make the mods run for some reason. I've been trying and trying and I don't know why. I tried it all. I can run the original decomps of both 1 and 2 just fine, but the mods simply do not load, so pressing either B or Start when in-game just freezes the whole thing.

Would anybody mind uploading all their folder structures for 1 and 2 with the mods already working and ready to go, BUT, obviously, without the rdsk files? Just a nice and tidy wiiu folder we could put on the root of the SD card, sans the Data files. Would do wonders and I'd be forever grateful.
I had issues with this too for a while. Here is my folder structure (Viewed in FileZilla when I FTP into the WiiU)
Sonic_Forever_Folder_Structure.png

The key is the modconfig.ini file. It has to be in the mods folder, yes, but here is what it needs to say (this was the only way I got it to work):
Sonic_Forever_modconfig.png

When I remove that [mods] text, it doesn't work. Don't know why, but that is how I got my Sonic Forever to work. You can tell right away if it works because you can press start to bypass the SEGA logo.

Last edited by zwei_fuss,
Reactions: YukidaruPunch

YukidaruPunch

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I had issues with this too for a while. Here is my folder structure (Viewed in FileZilla when I FTP into the WiiU)
View attachment 396315
The key is the modconfig.ini file. It has to be in the mods folder, yes, but here is what it needs to say (this was the only way I got it to work):
View attachment 396316
When I remove that [mods] text, it doesn't work. Don't know why, but that is how I got my Sonic Forever to work. You can tell right away if it works because you can press start to bypass the SEGA logo.
Thank you very much, I'll try this as soon as I can! Did you manage/try to get it working with Sonic 2 too?

zwei_fuss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you very much, I'll try this as soon as I can! Did you manage/try to get it working with Sonic 2 too?
Yes, Sonic 2 also works now. Just make sure the first line of the modconfig.ini file has the [mods] text in it. These can't be run with a forwarder though, I found. Any forwarder I tried using won't exit properly to the WiiU menu, so best to run them direct from homebrew launcher.

YukidaruPunch

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes, Sonic 2 also works now. Just make sure the first line of the modconfig.ini file has the [mods] text in it. These can't be run with a forwarder though, I found. Any forwarder I tried using won't exit properly to the WiiU menu, so best to run them direct from homebrew launcher.
THANK YOU, it finally worked! The [mods] tag and correct folder structure did it!

Reactions: zwei_fuss

zwei_fuss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
THANK YOU, it finally worked! The [mods] tag and correct folder structure did it!
Hey no problem, glad to help. I've been scouring these forums the last week or so, modding my brother-in-law's wiiu, and he really likes the classic Sonic games so this thread was a godsend. Now if only I was a developer and could do a nice package of Sonic 1 and 2 like Clownancy's Sonic Mania wii u port, that would be something! But alas, I do not have that particular set of skills and these ports will have to do. Thanks @muniryka for the tutorial, maybe you can edit your post to mention my fix.

Reactions: YukidaruPunch

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Overclock your PS3!!! lol