Someone mentally ill has been harrassing our staff and users for over a year now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
As someone who has been running a relatively large video game site for the past two decades, I can say that it isn't unusual to have to deal with idiots who think they rule the world. We ban dozens of people every day: spambots mostly, but also people who post threats, who post atrocities, and whatnot.

But there's been one single guy that has been continuously harrassing us for over a year now. That guy is known on the internet as "Clancy" or "clancydaenlightened" on Twitter.

You may think I am exaggerating, because this sounds unbelievable, but truly there hasn't been a single day over the past year where this guy hasn't created dupe accounts, flooded our mailboxes, mass PMed our staff or members, posted threats on twitter, facebook and all that. He keeps creating dupe accounts here through Tor, proxies, VPNs, and our staff continues to block him every day. We have a team of 30+ staff members so it only takes us a second to wipe out his dupe accounts (whereas from our estimate it takes several minutes to create a dupe on our site) so we can literally do this all day.

We have had our lot of persistent assholes in the 20 years this site has existed, but none of them had been at it for more than a week or two. This guy has been at it EVERY DAY for over a year now.
Some of our moderators, having had enough with the guy, started investigating him personally to see what the deal was. Turns out this guy has got all his data out there in the open, he literally doxes himself everywhere and shows the drugs he's under, on social media. His real name, address, phone number, family members, are all easy to find or identify.

He seems to be a legitimately, severely mentally ill person, and I say this not just because of his year-long harrassment but also based on the things he posts on social media. He was recently banned from Twitter and subsequently posted this:

1653528875147.png

There is a hall of shame that exists in our collective memory at the GBAtemp mod team, and, through this thread, I wanted to share with you that we have a winner with this guy. None of us have ever had to deal with someone this deranged and bizarre.

He spends entire nights flooding our mailboxes with shit like this:

1653529642120.png

In light of what's happening in the USA lately with the mass shootings and killings, I am truly wondering if we should probably do something more practical about his behavior -- I'm talking about reporting him to the police, but certainly not doing ourselves justice. Inbetween the flood of insults there's also been threats of mass slaughter and crazy shit like that, that you wouldn't normally take seriously on the Internet. But the recent events make me wonder if not reporting him may put us, or someone else, at risk.

A member who was frequently harrassed by Clancy has told us that they reported him to the local police already, but it doesn't look like they did anything about it -- even though the police was given a name, an address, and a phone number. Now if you have any recommendations on how to handle this properly and avoid what could be another true, real life disaster, we're all ears.

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
WiiMiiSwitch is your real name?

I’m… I’m so sorry.

Nothing that was posted was “lifted” off his personal profiles or otherwise researched, it’s stuff he sends to us or posts publicly. We’re not looking through external websites to find information on the guy - he’s given us the information, publicly. I’m done explaining this, you obviously don’t understand what doxxing is.
Alright the last few posts I thought I said he doxxed you guys an I was wrong , you make it seem like an argument when all I'm doing is giving advice. Why are you trying so hard to flame me?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Alright the last few posts I thought I said he doxxed you guys an I was wrong , you make it seem like an argument when all I'm doing is giving advice. Why are you trying so hard to flame me?
I’m explaining the issue to you and you’re accusing the site of impropriety. I can only repeat myself so many times - we’re not looking into him, we’re quoting messages we received. We don’t care about this guy, we just don’t want him around.

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
I’m explaining the issue to you and you’re accusing the site of impropriety. I can only repeat myself so many times - we’re not looking into him, we’re quoting messages we received. We don’t care about this guy, we just don’t want him around.
I gave my opinion out, that's all
Now you're a victim.
Nope, just didn't know why he was flaming me with. "This Isn't Rocket Science" "Grow Up" "You Don't understand"
I mean I don't know why you still feel comfortable quoting me after calling a mentally ill person a pyschopath, don't try so hard

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Nope, just didn't know why he was flaming me with. "This Isn't Rocket Science" "Grow Up" "You Don't understand"
I mean I don't know why you still feel comfortable quoting me after calling a mentally ill person a pyschopath, don't try so hard
Well, this isn’t rocket science, you definitely don’t understand and you do need to grow up if you think we’re responsible for the privacy of someone who deliberately reveals their identity in public. I can’t stop him from doing that, I’m not his dad. That’s not flaming, those are statements of facts.

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I dont have to try. This material writes itself with how dense you are.

You're trying to defend a racist homophobic loonie. Yeah, you need to grow up.

Reactions: VinsCool

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't be surprised if WiiMiiSwitch is just one of his alt accounts at this point..
I thought the same thing for a moment but were that the case this whole conversation would have devolved into insanity rather than just being misplaced white knighting, I think.

Reactions: VinsCool

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
In the interest of you guys getting a better feel of how a mod’s life looks like, I’ve created a random selection of messages I receive regularly from “disgruntled customers”. You’ll probably think these are “pretty bad”, but they were never acted upon in this capacity. I’ve curated them to not include any identifying information as not all of those users were ultimately banned - I’m just impossible to offend. It should give you a better idea of how bad this guy is if we’re forced to ask the community for opinions. I’m doing this to bolster your point @Costello, if you think it’s inappropriate I can remove it. In any case, please enjoy. Viewer discretion is advised - if you don’t like slurs, don’t click. It’s part of the job and I don’t mind - I love y’all all the same, but you have to realise that you can be a handful sometimes.

Attachments

• 002A0FDE-1F59-40EB-BDB0-F824F625BEF3.jpeg
    002A0FDE-1F59-40EB-BDB0-F824F625BEF3.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 42AB58B7-13AC-4A2C-B03B-4FD8A8BBCD29.jpeg
    42AB58B7-13AC-4A2C-B03B-4FD8A8BBCD29.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 1D481012-7311-4784-9303-77FA676C136D.jpeg
    1D481012-7311-4784-9303-77FA676C136D.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 8490AE67-5D27-40E8-8690-92D72061F460.jpeg
    8490AE67-5D27-40E8-8690-92D72061F460.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 380369E1-9842-4B98-95C4-A984DCF81230.jpeg
    380369E1-9842-4B98-95C4-A984DCF81230.jpeg
    68.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 4BBB631C-D83B-4CDC-9D8F-25547846505C.jpeg
    4BBB631C-D83B-4CDC-9D8F-25547846505C.jpeg
    324.3 KB · Views: 32

Creamu

Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
In the interest of you guys getting a better feel of how a mod’s life looks like, I’ve created a random selection of messages I receive regularly from “disgruntled customers”. You’ll probably think these are “pretty bad”, but they were never acted upon in this capacity. I’ve curated them to not include any identifying information as not all of those users were ultimately banned - I’m just impossible to offend. It should give you a better idea of how bad this guy is if we’re forced to ask the community for opinions. I’m doing this to bolster your point @Costello, if you think it’s inappropriate I can remove it. In any case, please enjoy. Viewer discretion is advised - if you don’t like slurs, don’t click. It’s part of the job and I don’t mind - I love y’all all the same, but you have to realise that you can be a handful sometimes.
Why didnt you tell him to watch his manners?

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the record, I don’t have a Lego account, or a fur affinity account. I’m also not bald, or fat. Turns out there’s a lot of Foxi’s out there - who knew? :lol:
Hey now, it took them a long time to come up with that gotcha moment he though he had, don't go shattering his whole reality!

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For the record, I don’t have a Lego account, or a fur affinity account. I’m also not bald, or fat. Turns out there’s a lot of Foxi’s out there - who knew? :lol:
Still sad that you guys have to deal with this kind of trash..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1