Someone mentally ill has been harrassing our staff and users for over a year now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Costello

Headmaster
OP
Administrator
Trophies
XP
As someone who has been running a relatively large video game site for the past two decades, I can say that it isn't unusual to have to deal with idiots who think they rule the world. We ban dozens of people every day: spambots mostly, but also people who post threats, who post atrocities, and whatnot.

But there's been one single guy that has been continuously harrassing us for over a year now. That guy is known on the internet as "Clancy" or "clancydaenlightened" on Twitter.

You may think I am exaggerating, because this sounds unbelievable, but truly there hasn't been a single day over the past year where this guy hasn't created dupe accounts, flooded our mailboxes, mass PMed our staff or members, posted threats on twitter, facebook and all that. He keeps creating dupe accounts here through Tor, proxies, VPNs, and our staff continues to block him every day. We have a team of 30+ staff members so it only takes us a second to wipe out his dupe accounts (whereas from our estimate it takes several minutes to create a dupe on our site) so we can literally do this all day.

We have had our lot of persistent assholes in the 20 years this site has existed, but none of them had been at it for more than a week or two. This guy has been at it EVERY DAY for over a year now.
Some of our moderators, having had enough with the guy, started investigating him personally to see what the deal was. Turns out this guy has got all his data out there in the open, he literally doxes himself everywhere and shows the drugs he's under, on social media. His real name, address, phone number, family members, are all easy to find or identify.

He seems to be a legitimately, severely mentally ill person, and I say this not just because of his year-long harrassment but also based on the things he posts on social media. He was recently banned from Twitter and subsequently posted this:

1653528875147.png

There is a hall of shame that exists in our collective memory at the GBAtemp mod team, and, through this thread, I wanted to share with you that we have a winner with this guy. None of us have ever had to deal with someone this deranged and bizarre.

He spends entire nights flooding our mailboxes with shit like this:

1653529642120.png

In light of what's happening in the USA lately with the mass shootings and killings, I am truly wondering if we should probably do something more practical about his behavior -- I'm talking about reporting him to the police, but certainly not doing ourselves justice. Inbetween the flood of insults there's also been threats of mass slaughter and crazy shit like that, that you wouldn't normally take seriously on the Internet. But the recent events make me wonder if not reporting him may put us, or someone else, at risk.

A member who was frequently harrassed by Clancy has told us that they reported him to the local police already, but it doesn't look like they did anything about it -- even though the police was given a name, an address, and a phone number. Now if you have any recommendations on how to handle this properly and avoid what could be another true, real life disaster, we're all ears.

Spider_Man

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe not ideal for other users, but couldn't the site block users registering if hiding behind a VPN?

or if he isn't using a VPN and flushing his device IP, you blocked his Static IP?

If you know his Static IP, report it to his ISP and they are by law required to abide by its ToS, and this, harassment, threats, bullying, spam, scam etc. will be in violation and the ISP will have to abide by the law to protect others online and disconnect his service.

If he then registers with another ISP, do the same, if he continues then it becomes a criminal act and can be taken to a Civil Court and be granted a restraining order to prevent him from continuing his abuse and if he fails to adhere to the restraining order, he can then be jailed.

Last edited by Spider_Man,

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Okay. I see. Maybe you do not know that he also wrote in this thread, and he complimented me for defending him. He managed to send me a PM before he was banned again. He said he suffered injustice from the staff, posts deleted for no reason, then when he asked for an explanation they banned him the first time. Then other times. He seemed reasonable and absolutely harmless. I take that from how and what he wrote to me via PM and in this thread.
I can say with confidence that this isn’t the case because I am one of those who kept reporting many of his posts. He kept posting pictures of drugs and him doing drugs. He kept harassing members both on and off the Temp (me being one of them.) He would constantly spam racist, homophobic, transphobic, and sexist comments at members both on and off the Temp. He then proceeded to amp of the harassment when confronted and was eventually banned. I know this because he also spammed screenshots of everything he did, including his deleted posts and screenshots of his harassment. Much of this was spammed directly at me for some reason.

• Sad
Reactions: Kioku and Nikokaro

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why would he be reported to the police? It's just basic trolling and doxxing, nothing uncommon. Honestly, for the members affected, just block him, and if he makes an alt still block him. Also to the mods, why look into his other profiles like come on, we don't need to dig that deep. Just take it easy alright, especially considering he's ill.
I don’t think you quite realise what’s being discussed. You must’ve missed the part that said “he’s been making alternative accounts almost every single day for the last year”. Blocking/removing them isn’t difficult at all, we’re perfectly capable of doing that.

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
As do most psychopaths.

Look at Gacy, pillar of his community and over all seemingly upstanding man. Turns out he was a serial killer.

You cant really judge a person based on how they present themselves when they KNOW eyes are on them and they WANT to appear innocent.
Don't call sick people psychopaths like really

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
maybe not ideal for other users, but couldn't the site block users registering if hiding behind a VPN?

or if he isn't using a VPN and flushing his device IP, you blocked his Static IP?

If you know his Static IP, report it to his ISP and they are by law required to abide by its ToS, and this, harassment, threats, bullying, spam, scam etc. will be in violation and the ISP will have to abide by the law to protect others online and disconnect his service.

If he then registers with another ISP, do the same, if he continues then it becomes a criminal act and can be taken to a Civil Court and be granted a restraining order to prevent him from continuing his abuse and if he fails to adhere to the restraining order, he can then be jailed.
We refuse to compromise the privacy and comfort of our community over one basket case.

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Why would he be reported to the police? It's just basic trolling and doxxing, nothing uncommon. Honestly, for the members affected, just block him, and if he makes an alt still block him. Also to the mods, why look into his other profiles like come on, we don't need to dig that deep. Just take it easy alright, especially considering he's ill.
Oh right, of course we're the ones going too far for wanting to collate something to aid our case. For wanting to see if there is something else we can or should do. Forget the months and months of verbal abuse that he hurled at members on and off the site. Gee, @The Catboy why you gotta be a lil snowflake amirite? And that other site that also had issues with him. Pfft weaklings.

Clearly, we're the arseholes.

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
I don’t think you quite realise what’s being discussed. You must’ve missed the part that said “he’s been making alternative accounts almost every single day for the last year”. Blocking/removing them isn’t difficult at all, we’re perfectly capable of doing that.
Ok and is that really a good reason to go online and find all his social media, post his facebook on this thread so everyone can see it, and even though yes it make's the forums a bit unclean but making forum accounts to troll really isn't something that bad

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok and is that really a good reason to go online and find all his social media, post his facebook on this thread so everyone can see it, and even though yes it make's the forums a bit unclean but making forum accounts to troll really isn't something that bad
It’s public information, and it’s of interest. You can’t doxx someone who’s repeatedly doxxed himself.

Reactions: VinsCool

porkiewpyne

Report-er
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
That's the funny bit. We really didn't care to look into him too much outside of a bit of Googlefu. He went to find us for the most part.

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
Oh right, of course we're the ones going too far for wanting to collate something to aid our case. For wanting to see if there is something else we can or should do. Forget the months and months of verbal abuse that he hurled at members on and off the site. Gee, @The Catboy why you gotta be a lil snowflake amirite? And that other site that also had issues with him. Pfft weaklings.

Clearly, we're the arseholes.
Never said anyone was an asshole, I just said hold back. Once again, just block them, it's just usual doxxing shit that happens in forums bigger than this. Yes there was verbal abuse but come on, a police report for some rude online comments, it could be worse

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
That's the funny bit. We really didn't care to look into him too much outside of a bit of Googlefu. He went to find us for the most part.
It’s information he volunteered, we’re not revealing anything he hasn’t revealed himself, I don’t see the problem. It’s not our fault he blasts his IRL name online.

Nikokaro

Lost philosopher... searching for a way out...
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I can say with confidence that this isn’t the case because I am one of those who kept reporting many of his posts. He kept posting pictures of drugs and him doing drugs. He kept harassing members both on and off the Temp (me being one of them.) He would constantly spam racist, homophobic, transphobic, and sexist comments at members both on and off the Temp. He then proceeded to amp of the harassment when confronted and was eventually banned. I know this because he also spammed screenshots of everything he did, including his deleted posts and screenshots of his harassment. Much of this was spammed directly at me for some reason.
I believe he alternates moments of lucidity and consistency with moments of irrationality and madness, sometimes posting insults and obscenities, other times random videos, swearing or random words; clear sign of drug abuse. He should not be punished, but rather helped by those in charge.

Elodain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never said anyone was an asshole, I just said hold back. Once again, just block them, it's just usual doxxing shit that happens in forums bigger than this. Yes there was verbal abuse but come on, a police report for some rude online comments, it could be worse
I mean it's also stalking as far as I know but 🤷‍♂️

The fact that you think this isn't a big deal speaks volumes about your moral compass.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I believe he alternates moments of lucidity and consistency with moments of irrationality and madness, sometimes posting insults and obscenities, other times random videos, swearing or random words; clear sign of drug abuse. He should not be punished, but rather helped by those in charge.
Textbook BPD, if not straight schizophrenia. I’m no expert, but I can recognise a crazy person when I see one. I ban them routinely. :lol:

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
It’s public information, and it’s of interest. You can’t doxx someone who’s repeatedly doxxed himself.
Ok so if it really is public information give me all your social media accounts and maybe add in your phone number and I'll expose it all
If I'm completely honest you (not specifically you but most of the daily users) had made it very easy, you all have the same username on your social media accounts, for example, one of the mods had posted their Facebook in a thread, and if he really is that annoying, just keep blocking him

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ok so if it really is public information give me all your social media accounts and maybe add in your phone number and I'll expose it all

If I'm completely honest you (not specifically you but most of the daily users) had made it very easy, you all have the same username on your social media accounts, for example, one of the mods had posted their Facebook in a thread, and if he really is that annoying, just keep blocking him
Which part of “these are public posts he makes under his own name” is unclear? You’re welcome to engage me on social media, none of them contain my personal information because I’m not a 5 year old.

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
I mean it's also stalking as far as I know but 🤷‍♂️

The fact that you think this isn't a big deal speaks volumes about your moral compass.
Oh, you wanna talk about my moral compass??? You called a mentally ill person a psychopath, has anyone tried actually offering him support?! I don't think so, plus if that's stalking why post his Facebook on a thread for everyone to see

Reactions: Nikokaro

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh, you wanna talk about my moral compass??? You called a mentally ill person a psychopath, has anyone tried actually offering him support?! I don't think so, plus if that's stalking why post his Facebook on a thread for everyone to see
We’re trying to establish how to do that, Einstein. We’re an Internet forum, not the Red Cross.

Deleted member 546149

Trophies
XP
Which part of “these are public posts he makes under his own name” is unclear? You’re welcome to engage me on social media, none of them contain my personal information because I’m not a 5 year old.
Why do you even have his real name, why do you even have to dig instead of just block or keep banning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [awaits for him to notice something] :blush::ha::evil: