Some Xbox 360s Won't Do Halo: Reach Online Co-Op

• Thread starter Deleted_171835
  • Start date
  • Views 2,907
  • Replies 27
D

Deleted_171835

OP

While the $199 price tag on Microsoft's 4GB Xbox 360 slim model might seem attractive, Halo: Reach owners eager for a little online co-operative multiplayer campaign play are finding out the hard way that you get what you pay for.

Kotakuite Captain Fuzzy brought the issue to our attention yesterday. After picking up his copy of Halo: Reach, he decided to spend a little time online going through the campaign with friends, only to find that his 4GB console wasn't capable of doing so.

"When I tried to join them, we got a message saying "One or more players do not have a hard drive which is required for this playlist". Apparently, the 4gb Xbox 360 slim will not allow online co-op because it has a "Memory Unit" and not an HDD. Adding my 16gb flash drives didn't help the case either, I still got the "hard drive is required" message. I can still play online Vs. games, but any co-op like campaign or firefight are locked out to me."'

The support section on Xbox.com has updated with information on Captain Fuzzy's problem as well, giving the following answer to the issue:
One or more players do not have a certified Xbox 360 hard drive attached to their Xbox 360 console. Some multiplayer aspects of Halo: Reach require an Xbox 360 certified hard drive.

While my copy of Halo: Reach doesn't list the hard drive as a requirement, it does contain the line "features and requirements may change without notice," which effectively covers Microsoft's ass in this situation.

The only real recourse Halo: Reach players have now is to pick up an Xbox 360 slim hard disk, which retails for $129.99 at GameStop. That brings the grand total for their Xbox 360 to $329.98, roughly $30 more than just purchasing the 250GB Xbox 360 slim in the first place. So much for getting a bargain.

And while were on the subject of depressing Halo: Reach news, we're currently looking into issues with bad game discs that are currently the subject of a very long forum topic on Bungie.net.[/p]

icon11.gif
Source

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Someone please send this article to whoever it was claiming Reach would be the biggest game in the universe, preferably with the caption 'You're a wazzock'.

TM2-Megatron

Predacon Commander
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Pathetic. That's gotta be one of the worst oversights ever. A company shouldn't be allowed to sell a console that doesn't share all the same basic features. More "extravagant" sets should be reserved for things like extra software content, greater storage capacity (with the lesser model retaining all compatibility, just able to, you know, store less).

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ChaosBoi said:
Though I'm not a fan of the series, it really sucks for the people who bought the 4GB model. Well, I guess that's they get for buying the cheaper model though.

They shouldn't need a fucking hard drive to play online, that's bad design, probably designed to force players into paying even more to enhance (or rather enable) the live experience.

You have to pay out the ass for the wireless adapter alone...

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, they cant print money like nintendo does, so....

they just milk the cow so much.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
ChaosBoi said:
Though I'm not a fan of the series, it really sucks for the people who bought the 4GB model. Well, I guess that's they get for buying the cheaper model though.

They shouldn't need a fucking hard drive to play online, that's bad design, probably designed to force players into paying even more to enhance (or rather enable) the live experience.

Which is why I hate Microsoft.

D

Deleted_171835

OP
GameWinner said:
RupeeClock said:
ChaosBoi said:

Why does everybody have to have some excuse to hate Microsoft?
This may be stupid but don't hate Microsoft as a whole because of this.

RupeeClock

Colors 3D Snivy!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
SoulSnatcher said:
Now I don't hate Microsoft, but they have REALLY dropped the ball here this past month, increases subscription cost, lack of non-"fratboy" exclusives, Kinect just being a blatant intimitation of wii/eyetoy with no original or innovative software, and this shit.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
SoulSnatcher said:
GameWinner said:
RupeeClock said:
ChaosBoi said:

Now I don't hate Microsoft, but they have REALLY dropped the ball here this past month, increases subscription cost, lack of non-"fratboy" exclusives, Kinect just being a blatant intimitation of wii/eyetoy with no original or innovative software, and this shit.
I change my message to what you said ^

thebigboss14

Trophies
Website
thebigboss14.deviantart.com
XP
Country
United States
That's the worst thing a console manufacturer could do. How could you technically eliminate all your cheap consoles out of a game. What its the purpose of all this? You want them to buy the 250GB only or you just want to give preference? That's awful for Xbox 360 fans. Sorry guys.Microsoft, what's happening? A new way of marketing? This is hilarious.

Edgedancer

Director of Moon based operations
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am going to give Bungie/Microsoft the benefit of the doubt here. I dont think that they could justify forcing you to need a hard drive. I think it would be an issue that was simply overlooked as the last thing they would want is for their largest franchise to be hit with bad publicity.

Aeladya

*mistressOFtheCLOW
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RupeeClock said:
ChaosBoi said:

That reason alone why I'm just hooking an Ethernet cable up to my laptop when I get my 360...like hell I'm paying out the ass for a wireless adapter.

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
SoulSnatcher said:
GameWinner said:
RupeeClock said:
ChaosBoi said:

Of course it is. When you pull stupid crap like this, overcharge for components that are cheap as hell on the PC or even free on the PS3 like wireless N and hard drive upgrades, you deserve all the backlash that comes with it. Microsoft has fucked up way too much with the 360 and have milked the cash cow to death, and yet people whined at launch about how much the PS3 costs. Over that same span of time to get most of the same features and storage capacity, odds are 360 owners have spent more money then PS3 owners just to have the same experience. It's a joke, 150 dollars for a wireless adapter, 150 dollars just for a 60GB hard drive, 50 dollars for a years worth of Live over the course of 4 years would be about 200 dollars. Honestly even if you bought the Arcade for 150, all those extra costs just to get the same features that the basic PS3 comes with you will spend far more money.

So yeah, if you don't think Microsoft warrants hatred for the way they have been treating owners with the prices of hardware for the 360, then you are foolish. I own a 360 but won't bother upgrading my hard drive, I have a 20GB that I bought used which was risky enough as it is and thankfully it works fine.

antwill

Better Than You
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
DSGamer64 said:
Of course it is. When you pull stupid crap like this, overcharge for components that are cheap as hell on the PC or even free on the PS3 like wireless N and hard drive upgrades, you deserve all the backlash that comes with it. Microsoft has fucked up way too much with the 360 and have milked the cash cow to death, and yet people whined at launch about how much the PS3 costs. Over that same span of time to get most of the same features and storage capacity, odds are 360 owners have spent more money then PS3 owners just to have the same experience. It's a joke, 150 dollars for a wireless adapter, 150 dollars just for a 60GB hard drive, 50 dollars for a years worth of Live over the course of 4 years would be about 200 dollars. Honestly even if you bought the Arcade for 150, all those extra costs just to get the same features that the basic PS3 comes with you will spend far more money.

So yeah, if you don't think Microsoft warrants hatred for the way they have been treating owners with the prices of hardware for the 360, then you are foolish. I own a 360 but won't bother upgrading my hard drive, I have a 20GB that I bought used which was risky enough as it is and thankfully it works fine.
And yet if something goes wrong with the console, you can guarantee they'll buy another one. Also no matter the company, everyones going to hate it for some reason, and there will be fanboys defending it till the bitter end. But $200 to hear 12 year olds shout abuse at you? That's just insane.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
Like the guy said, it says on the case that "some features and downloads require additional storage, hardware, and/or fees." (I just read that off of my Halo: Reach case)

Yeah, I know no one reads the fine print, but they don't put it there just to put it there...It's there so when people bitch and complain because they can't spend money on a system they already spent enough on in the first place, and an error comes along because of that, Microsoft doesn't have to justify anything, because they already did.

A little side note: You can always just buy any SATA 2.5" hard drive and it will work with the slim model. It's fucking $35 for a 120GB WD Scorpio Blue...If people honestly won't buy shit for that little, but will go out and buy an expensive model Xbox 360, you shouldn't even be fucking whining about not being able to play co-op campaign.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER