What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Bri said:
@golden: no your posts are not invalid because you don't have kids. They're invalid because they're logically fallacious.

Do you not see the irony of responding to the post of a parent asking for the features by asserting that parents don't need the features? Obviously if no parent saw the need, no parent would have asked for them to begin with. To the contrary, several parents have already stated that the features would be useful to them (and I've seen similar posts in other topics).

Or are you saying that you have a better idea of what features every parent wants than they do? I'm just trying to understand your argument here.

-Bri
In that post you didn't provide any valid arguments against my theory. You just tried to brush them off as "logically fallacious" because you couldn't come up with any valid points which isn't surprising.

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
golden, quite frankly shut up.
People have requested a feature from their experience that kids mess up.
You say they dont need it so you are basically calling them a liar and questioning their parenting skills.
Perhaps we should be questioning the parenting skills of YOUR parents.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jabjab said:
You say they dont need it so you are basically calling them a liar and questioning their parenting skills.
Actually after reading that post, I would really like to see your parents because quite frankly, they didn't teach you many things. Reading comprehension for one. When did I call them a liar? Please point that out to me. I never would go that far on something as unimportant as this. I am merely trying to prove a point that has yet to be significantly challenged since brought up.

One more thing, I am not standing in anyone's way of making that feature. You guys seem to take it pretty offensively that I think completely opposite from someone else on these forums. I am simply standing firm on my position of what I believe in. If you guys really think it is such a great idea you could come up with decent points to challenge my theory. Unfortunately, none of you have had decent points that I couldn't discredit.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jabjab said:
No, if you're the one advocating a modification then it becomes _your_ burden to show why it's necessary. Otherwise you're proposing that somebody generate a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Meanwhile, as I already stated I have two small children playing my DS on a regular basis and am unable to confirm these purported experiences. Your own failure was in your first post, when you said:

QUOTEKids are curious/stupid/disobedient/etc (delete as appropriate) by nature and its inevitable that at some point cries of 'OH NOES MY DS IS BROKED' would be heard when there are options for deletion/patch options.

Which is an explicit declaration that the problem is an external one irrelevant to the AK OS. So why are you even arguing this when you already admitted such?

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
golden said:
In that post you didn't provide any valid arguments against my theory. You just tried to brush them off as "logically fallacious" because you couldn't come up with any valid points which isn't surprising.

What theory? That parents don't want the additional features that have been requested by parents? Nice theory.

QUOTE(dib @ Aug 9 2008, 04:10 PM) No, if you're the one advocating a modification then it becomes _your_ burden to show why it's necessary. Otherwise you're proposing that somebody generate a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Meanwhile, as I already stated I have two small children playing my DS on a regular basis and am unable to confirm these purported experiences...

I'm not sure I see your point. If the features that were requested wouldn't be useful to you, that's fine. But we have to assume that they would be useful to the many parents who requested the features.

Anyway...in order to hopefully end this silly derail, I'll propose two features that were discussed in other threads that I would personally find useful. Now, I'm not sure how I would go about proving that I would find these useful, so dib and golden will just have to take my word for it!

1) it would be nice if the "modify date" on save files was updated correctly. This would allow programs like Rominator which have save auto-backup features to work properly.

2) it would be nifty to have a save auto-backup feature built in. The menu could retain n number of save backups by storing the current backup number c (starting with 0 and incrementing before each backup). Before a game is run, c is incremented, and the current save (filename.nds.sav) copied to filename.ccc.sav (or something similar) where ccc is c padded with zeros. If it exists, filename.xxx.sav would be deleted where xxx = c - n padded with zeros. Perhaps n could be set by the user, and perhaps there could be an option for n to be infinity (so that no old saves are ever deleted automatically). It might be possible to tie this into the save slots that are already there, but this would be a way to populate them automatically.

-Bri

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The modify dates do work. I just tested Phantom Hourglass earlier today for somebody here, as a result my .sav file currently says "Last Change: 2008/8/9 01:16:13(GMT)"

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
My "theory" for lack of a better word is that the idea of having the disable start menu feature would not be worth achieving because there are many easier remedies to the problem. For example, as I said, there is a feature in the start menu that would disable the viewing of all files except .NDS files so at worst, the only thing they could do is delete a ROM. As evidence, provided by dib, if you teach your children right, there shouldn't be any reason for them to disobey you. However, since I do not have children I cannot say this without you guys believing me. That is why I am thankful for dib's post. As mentioned by yourself, Bri, some children are too young to understand these lessons or are too mischievous to listen. Children during these ages shouldn't be allowed to handle a DS if you want your DS and flashcart back in one piece because if they don't listen to you in the first place, what's to say that just disabling the start feature is enough to prevent all hell from breaking loose? For all you know, they could take out your flash cart, take out the micro sd and fiddle around with it until they loose it or badly damage said devices.

I have provided almost everything I have. If you still disagree with me please tell me and bring me a valid point instead of "it was requested if you don't like it don't use it GO AWAY". I realize this. I am merely trying to prove a point and if you see a problem with my "theory" for lack of a better word, Bri, please tell me so I can improve my own thought and understand your reasoning. Thanks and once again I want to remind everyone that only valid points will be taken seriously. Not the already proven not working "go way!", "shut up!", "don't use it!", and "who are you to say this when a lot of other people said it is useful to them"

jabjab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jeez how pathetic, need me to go through this point by point?
I guess i just said 'shut up' as it seemed nothing got across the fact that you are not in a position to give advice to those that know better.

Reading - blah, I can read. Just because you disagree with what i said doesn't mean i failed to read. Perhaps as you disagree you need to work on your reading comprehension skills..oh wait..

Liar - parent 1 "a kid proof menu would be valuable to me" , golden 'no it wouldn't sucka!'
Either you are making assumptions about something you are not in a position to or you are calling them a liar. Either way, whatever.

Standing in peoples way - no you cant physically stop them doing it but you can discourage them from doing so because 'mr expert on kids golden' doesn't need it and anyone that does actually doesn't and is a bad parent. If thats the reaction they are going to get they are not going to support the idea for you just to come along and bash them.

dib, you dont have problems with kids - great! noone else does then - all attempts at making something kid proof should be abandoned a golden says its for bad parents and dib says so too?
If you dont need the feature good for you, but dont talk for others.
I dont need cheats function but i am not starting a crusade to get it removed from custom firmware because i recognise that there are people that do find it useful.

Im not sure what you are getting at by your second quote - cries of 'oh noes my ds is broeked'?
I'm not talking about them dropping it on the floor ..i am talking about their reaction to the ds not loading files anymore after being fiddled with.
Thats which is why its completely relevant.
If not that point then i dont get where you are coming from at all.

Anyway, pointless to go on.

Cermage

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
i second the more than 1 shortcut feature. if you have a 4gb card with plenty of games and homebrew its a hassle to scroll down to the more frequent ones each time.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Incomplete said:
i second the more than 1 shortcut feature. if you have a 4gb card with plenty of games and homebrew its a hassle to scroll down to the more frequent ones each time.
Thirded.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
dib said:
The modify dates do work. I just tested Phantom Hourglass earlier today for somebody here, as a result my .sav file currently says "Last Change: 2008/8/9 01:16:13(GMT)"

Try playing it again and see if it changes. Mine shows the date that the .sav was initially created, not the date that it was last modified. This is with the AK2, by the way -- I don't know about the RPG.

-Bri

Baroque Obama

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jabjab said:
I dont need cheats function but i am not starting a crusade to get it removed from custom firmware because i recognise that there are people that do find it useful.
his situation and the quoted situiation are not comparable in the way you have compared it. the cheat feature is a feature that is already implemented. he's arguing that it's useless to implement a totally new feature that he believes is unneccessary. he is not calling for the deletion or preexisting features.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
golden said:
My "theory" for lack of a better word is that the idea of having the disable start menu feature would not be worth achieving because there are many easier remedies to the problem.

That's great, but it's only your opinion. Obviously, there are those with opposing yet equally valid opinions (if not moreso).

QUOTE(Baroque Obama @ Aug 9 2008, 09:47 PM) his situation and the quoted situiation are not comparable in the way you have compared it. the cheat feature is a feature that is already implemented. he's arguing that it's useless to implement a totally new feature that he believes is unneccessary. he is not calling for the deletion or preexisting features.

If there were no cheat functionality, I wouldn't argue that nobody else needed it since I don't use cheats. After all, there are easier remedies than cheating -- like learning how to play the game. Probably easier to learn to play a game than to teach a child not to accidentally click on things that they shouldn't.

I think that was closer to the point being made.

-Bri

Smiths

AKAIO Person of Interest TAGS ARE THE BEST
Developer
Trophies
Website
www.gamergeddon.com
XP
Country
United States
hey.. i have an idea.
shut up all.
smile.gif

I won't be putting in any children crap codes. fuckin parent and don't give them a flash card unless they understand international copyright laws.

i'm old, so my opinion matters
smile.gif

i'm also drinking again. not an alcoholic, just having a Wake in honor of my cat put to sleep today.
17 years old, drink in his honor! went out with dignity.

i've just been playing with scrolling note/cheat text. kinda removes all kzat's unicode support... but i speak english (and better when not drunk), so i'm not concerned. i'll just make it so it does all my new shit only if you're not in japanese/chinese/whatever mode.

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've got a friend back home with a cat that's somewhere about sixteen or seventeen years old, thought it was remarkable. And it's not in a decrepit state with hair falling out or anything. Mostly sits around the house all day, but at that age you earn the right to do whatever you want.

Anyway, Bri--I tried Zelda again, sure enough the date does change. Now it reads 07:57:43(GMT). This is on an RPG though, so perhaps there is a discrepency between the two cards. We would need a third party with an AK2 in order to know.

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
The AK2's save files wouldn't change the time as its writting directly to the file by passing the libfat which would update the time. And before you ask no there isnt an easy way around this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Xdqwerty, Hello, my friend. +1