ROM Hack Soma Bringer Open Translation

fusoya59

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xblackoutx said:
finally got it patched. was loving it until the story blended back into japanese so i have stopped playing so i dont miss story parts.
You COULD keep playing by skipping the events and viewing them later.

MANIA

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just finished Point 64 until Point 95 in "Party Menu". I know Japanese and I don't use Babelfish and stuff, so don't worry, right now I'm living next to wischmop and we're cooping the game, haha ;D

My mother tongue isn't english, that's why I wrote everything in the literal column, even though it's probably alright, needing so minor changes in grammar or changes for the sake of brevity and such.

nds.gif

fusoya59

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Nemesis,

I've noticed in the new patch that some of the skill descriptions are old (I think); some still contain the line break problems that I'm sure I fixed. Some even have the literal translation over the localized. Just curious as to why that is. Thanks.

doom5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MANIA said:
I just finished Point 64 until Point 95 in "Party Menu". I know Japanese and I don't use Babelfish and stuff, so don't worry, right now I'm living next to wischmop and we're cooping the game, haha ;D

My mother tongue isn't english, that's why I wrote everything in the literal column, even though it's probably alright, needing so minor changes in grammar or changes for the sake of brevity and such.

nds.gif

Anything you can add to the literal translation columns is very helpful. There's a lack of people with the language knowledge or time, so the text translation is slow going.

It's great that DarkNemesis has taken this project up, and the scrabble wiki for the translation was a really good idea.

Keep up the good work fellas, we all really appreciate it!

MANIA

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I just finished two entries from the dictionary.
http://somatrans.scribblewiki.com/Soma_Bringer_Translation_O
The ones about Einsatz. They need a quick native check though. The translation is not 100% the same, but about 98%. Feel free to change it to 100% though if you want to. The changes are minor though. Nothing important got lost.

I also saw that the character "Welt"'s full name is Welt Neugier(?????). That's German, I already wrote that into the localized part, because for someone not speaking German it's quite hard to figure that out. Same goes for the marshal who is called "Angst" meaning fear (???????).

I'm back to translating
smile.gif

*quick edit*
The first Adonis dictionary part is done.
Now to the 2nd

fusoya59

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MANIA said:
I just finished two entries from the dictionary.
http://somatrans.scribblewiki.com/Soma_Bringer_Translation_O
The ones about Einsatz. They need a quick native check though. The translation is not 100% the same, but about 98%. Feel free to change it to 100% though if you want to. The changes are minor though. Nothing important got lost.

I also saw that the character "Welt"'s full name is Welt Neugier(?????). That's German, I already wrote that into the localized part, because for someone not speaking German it's quite hard to figure that out. Same goes for the marshal who is called "Angst" meaning fear (???????).

I'm back to translating
smile.gif

*quick edit*
The first Adonis dictionary part is done.
Now to the 2nd
Woo welcome aboard the Soma Bringer train! Thanks for the help.

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MANIA said:

nds.gif
Thanks, your English is quite good. I'll review those lines when I get a chance but they seem quality enough to include as is.

QUOTE(fusoya59 @ Apr 12 2008, 03:05 AM) Hey Nemesis,

I've noticed in the new patch that some of the skill descriptions are old (I think); some still contain the line break problems that I'm sure I fixed. Some even have the literal translation over the localized. Just curious as to why that is. Thanks.
Oh wow, you had a lot of good changes, not sure how I missed them. Added them and updated the patch.

fusoya59

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarthNemesis said:
Oh wow, you had a lot of good changes, not sure how I missed them. Added them and updated the patch.
=]
Since I can't really translate, that's all I can really do; play test, fix line breaks, and shorten some of the descriptions from time to time. I really think this translation project's doing really well! I'm really enjoying re-playing this game cuz of the hard translation work we've all been doing. It's strangely rewarding!

wischmop

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Australia
Act 2:
Ordital Ablaze (ABCDEFGHI)
To Largo Bridge (AB)

yaypsp.gif
But I don't know which drugs the Japanese do when they think about character names. I got one of the guys working with Marshal Angst (haha, for a german-speaking native, that sounds so stupid) named "Plectrum" (yes, like the guitar thingy) and one named "Luthier" (yes, the violin crafter). I even think that it is intended to give these guys music associated names. Maybe there are some more....
biggrin.gif
I checked the wiki if the names were already translated, doesn't seem so, and I checked Google for the names (in japanese) and got pages where the plectrum and the work of a luthier were explained. So I think it might fit.

Wrote something further in the mythological reference about Chernobog. That's a very nice guy...
frown.gif

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wischmop said:
Act 2:
Ordital Ablaze (ABCDEFGHI)
To Largo Bridge (AB)

yaypsp.gif
But I don't know which drugs the Japanese do when they think about character names. I got one of the guys working with Marshal Angst (haha, for a german-speaking native, that sounds so stupid) named "Plectrum" (yes, like the guitar thingy) and one named "Luthier" (yes, the violin crafter). I even think that it is intended to give these guys music associated names. Maybe there are some more....
biggrin.gif
I checked the wiki if the names were already translated, doesn't seem so, and I checked Google for the names (in japanese) and got pages where the plectrum and the work of a luthier were explained. So I think it might fit.

Wrote something further in the mythological reference about Chernobog. That's a very nice guy...
frown.gif
Yeah, a great number of names in this game are music-related. That's always a good thing to look for when you're attempting to romanize them. Also, I'm glad to see someone else is updating the references page too.

Anyway, added more cutscenes to the patch.

DarkSwordman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
can anyone give me a database, I'm would be very thankful. I'm not lazy but there a lot of thing to copy and paste, wow, more than 200 monter name, I'm sorry 'cause I don't have the time,I have to study for my incoming exams(next week, means tomorrow). So, some one please upload the database for me, up to date would be good, v0.9.

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MANIA said:
I wanted to transalte some NPCs but I couldn't find the text. Is it not ripped yet?
All the files are found, just not uploaded to the wiki yet. You can get them by using SomaTrans, though.

QUOTE(DarkSwordman @ Apr 13 2008, 09:32 AM) can anyone give me a database, I'm would be very thankful. I'm not lazy but there a lot of thing to copy and paste, wow, more than 200 monter name, I'm sorry 'cause I don't have the time,I have to study for my incoming exams(next week, means tomorrow). So, some one please upload the database for me, up to date would be good, v0.9.
Database? Just import the patched rom.

MANIA

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I don't know anything about managing a wiki nor do I know how to hack roms, but what's the reason for the files not being uploaded to the wiki yet? Just curious
smile.gif

fusoya59

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MANIA said:
I don't know anything about managing a wiki nor do I know how to hack roms, but what's the reason for the files not being uploaded to the wiki yet? Just curious
smile.gif
He's only one man =p

But I think it's just that there are SOOO many script files, and matching each one takes time to do. When I get some time, I can try matching them -- hopefully it won't be too bad.

valyr

Trophies
XP
Country
have noticed not everything in the wiki is in the patch
and vise versa also i have all of Myrtles bit in act0 translated if anyone wants it ill upload my wikitable files

DarthNemesis

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fusoya59 said:
I think it's just that there are SOOO many script files, and matching each one takes time to do. When I get some time, I can try matching them -- hopefully it won't be too bad.Yes, this.

QUOTE(valyr @ Apr 13 2008, 12:54 PM) have noticed not everything in the wiki is in the patch
and vise versa also i have all of Myrtles bit in act0 translated if anyone wants it ill upload my wikitable files
If there's anything in particular you think should be there, point it out here and I'll take a look at it. It's difficult to keep track of what I've already added, and some files I skipped because they were poorly formatted or really bad English. Go ahead and add your lines for Myrtle and I'll check them out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    They probably said "Hey, why not we combine the two together and make a 'new' DS to sell".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's a DS Lite in a slightly bigger DS Lite shell.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not a Nintendo / iQue official product, it's a 3rd party custom.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Nothing special about it other than it's more comfortable than the Lite
    for people with beefy hands.
    +1
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I have yaoi anime hands, very lorge but slender.
  • Jayro @ Jayro:
    I'm Slenderman.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I have hands.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    imagine not having hands, cringe
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ESPECIALLY for things I do to myself :sad:.. :tpi::rofl2: Or others :shy::blush::evil:
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @SylverReZ if you could find a v5 DS ML you would have the best of both worlds since the v5 units had the same backlight brightness levels as the DS Lite unlockable with flashme
    but that's a long shot
    i think only the red mario kart edition phat was v5
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    A woman with no arms and no legs was sitting on a beach. A man comes along and the woman says, "I've never been hugged before." So the man feels bad and hugs her. She says "Well i've also never been kissed before." So he gives her a kiss on the cheek. She says "Well I've also never been fucked before." So the man picks her up, and throws her in the ocean and says "Now you're fucked."
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    lmao
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    anyways, we need to re-normalize physical media

if i didn't want my games to be permanent, then i'd rent them
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Agreed, that why I try to buy all my games on disc, Xbox anyways. Switch games (which I pirate tbh) don't matter much, I stay offline 24/7 anyways.
    I don't pirate them, I Use Them :mellow:. Like I do @BigOnYa 's couch :tpi::evil::rofl2:
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    @BakerMan - you can still "own" digital media, arguably easier and better than physical since you can make copies and backups, as much as you like.

The issue is DRM
  • cearp @ cearp:
    You can buy drm free games / music / ebooks, and if you keep backups of your data (like documents and family photos etc), then you shouldn't lose the game. but with a disk, your toddler could put it in the toaster and there goes your $60

:rofl2:
  • cearp @ cearp:
    still, I agree physical media is nice to have. just pointing out the issue is drm
  • rqkaiju2 @ rqkaiju2:
    i like physical media because it actually feels like you own it. thats why i plan on burning music to cds
  • cearp @ cearp:
    It's nice to not have to have a lot of physical things though, saves space
    +1
    Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Nor clothes 🤮 . Saves on time, soap, water and money having to wash them. :D