Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hi everyone
smile.gif

I've been noticing that these two games give me a problem. I first saw this with Endless Ocean Blue World, now, Red Steel 2. I believe with the read speed of 3x maybe the cause? Red Steel 2 at the first cutscene is showing lag at the beginning, while I hear the disc drive's lens moving a lot. I don't know if it's because of the Wii being softmodded? My burner only supports the 4x write speed, nothing lower. All other Wii games seem to be running pretty well. Just need a little insight on if the best method is a modchip?

antimatter

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Chipping is probably the worst. Just get a usb HDD and youll get rid off the disc reading problems. RS2 runs without any lag at all for me.

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mod-Chips are great, never had problems with it..just had to wait one month for an NSMB Update. Red Steel and Endless Ocean work perfectly. I recommend sunkey or wasabi, they get on an regular base updates and never requires you to play with IOS and stuff.

RR99i

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Most modchips give a 6x read speed, like DriveKey? I keep thinking that's why they cutscenes lag, is because of the disc not reading quick enough. I just want to find the best method with my disc backups.

Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RR99i said:
Most modchips give a 6x read speed, like DriveKey? I keep thinking that's why they cutscenes lag, is because of the disc not reading quick enough. I just want to find the best method with my disc backups.

Modchips read at full speed and are the best solution if your looking to run disc backups correctly. All softmod methods are limited to 3x read speed when loading from the DVD-ROM.

RR99i

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fear_the_Tubes said:
RR99i said:

Modchips read at full speed and are the best solution if your looking to run disc backups correctly. All softmod methods are limited to 3x read speed when loading from the DVD-ROM.
Cool, I'll see what I can do. It seems most of the newer titles need that extra read speed.

Fear_the_Tubes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RR99i said:
Cool, I'll see what I can do. It seems most of the newer titles need that extra read speed.

Probably so, I wouldn't know as I've never run disc backups. I thought about trying it for a long time because as you know it is a nice feature to have. But I didn't want to put a modchip in the console and I didn't see in the point in having to deal with a 3x read speed when I could just put in the real disc.

I started using backups exclusively for most games after the usb loaders had come out and had a little time to mature. Right now I have a 1TB usb HDD with around 50 games on it. Load times are actually faster from the HDD then they are with the real disc so I don't have any of the problems associated with playing games with a reduced read speed. I don't have to keep a stack of blank DVD-Rs around to burn games with either. It is just an all around better solution for running backups with the benifit of having a ton of storage space for all my other homebrew apps (mplayer and emulators for the most part).

Anyway just something for you to think about. If you haven't tried using a usb loader yet you should give it a try.

SFenton

ಠ_ಠ
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
longtom1 said:
Or buy the original and support the game developers

It's a lost cause on these forums (at least on this subforum) but I'm going to have to agree (at least about Red Steel 2). It's simply one of the finest games I've ever played and was absolutely worth every cent. It won't get much replay from me but this adventure is one I'll be happy to go through again once or twice.

RR99i

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fear_the_Tubes said:
Probably so, I wouldn't know as I've never run disc backups. I thought about trying it for a long time because as you know it is a nice feature to have. But I didn't want to put a modchip in the console and I didn't see in the point in having to deal with a 3x read speed when I could just put in the real disc.

I started using backups exclusively for most games after the usb loaders had come out and had a little time to mature. Right now I have a 1TB usb HDD with around 50 games on it. Load times are actually faster from the HDD then they are with the real disc so I don't have any of the problems associated with playing games with a reduced read speed. I don't have to keep a stack of blank DVD-Rs around to burn games with either. It is just an all around better solution for running backups with the benifit of having a ton of storage space for all my other homebrew apps (mplayer and emulators for the most part).

Anyway just something for you to think about. If you haven't tried using a usb loader yet you should give it a try.
Yeah, I wouldn't mind going with an external HDD. But with the many disc backups I have, it's hard to change to that route. Just knowing that a modchip is the best to go, I'll try to do so. Seems like the newer titles are showing that 3x speed isn't working well.

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RR99i said:
Fear_the_Tubes said:

Yeah, I wouldn't mind going with an external HDD. But with the many disc backups I have, it's hard to change to that route. Just knowing that a modchip is the best to go, I'll try to do so. Seems like the newer titles are showing that 3x speed isn't working well.

Hey dont get the chip use hermes uloader 4.9c and hook a external burner to the bottom usb slot on your wii before you launch uloader and have the disc
in the external burner then uloader will pick it up then load it and does not lag because the usb dvd-rom does not have the 3x limitation this is something i
found out recently check my thread... also if you have a ide to usb adapter you can use that also with a old dvd-rom in an old pc i have tryed 10 or more
old ones and they all read wii games perfectly dont believe me try mario galaxy no skipping cut scenes and fast loading from disc....

heres my thread...

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=215...p;#entry2677683

and all those old games that lagged and even newer one will not skip,lag or load slow either give it a shot....

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fear_the_Tubes said:
RR99i said:

No that isnt uloader 4.9c with a external burner or extenal dvd-rom is an alternative to modchips and the game loading and scenes do not lag....

Sontifx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RR99i said:
Fear_the_Tubes said:

In my opinion chips are the worst way to go. Ruins your warranty. Its not gonna kill you to run of a HDD. And overall it better to run of a HDD then a disc anyway. Isn't not so hard on your wii.

taktularCBo

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sontifx said:
RR99i said:
Fear_the_Tubes said:

In my opinion chips are the worst way to go. Ruins your warranty. Its not gonna kill you to run of a HDD. And overall it better to run of a HDD then a disc anyway. Isn't not so hard on your wii.

Where did you get your mod-chip from!? I got 3 years warranty from my mod-chip supplier. Besides, i can run from HDD and SD, just check WODE and SunKey Fusion. Im getting a Sunkey Fusion soon, cause youre right, from HDD is more fun.

RR99i

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'll see how things go. I may end up getting an external hard drive. I just want to find the lowest costing method to enjoy lag free cutscenes. It seems that's the only problem from my discs on those two games.

RR99i

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I do have a 8GB USB flash drive. I may try using that on Red Steel 2 for now. Just wish there was a way to compress the backups to have more than one game on the flash drive. Best bet in the near future hopefully is an external hard drive. I'll see what happens.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-