Hacking Softmod/Jailbreak question

KingManu23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi Guys

I just got my hands on a 3ds XL running firmware 7.1.0-16E. What is the best method of jailbreak/softmod? Flashcards or softmods like the ninja mod? And if its flashcards which is the better flashcard to get out of Gateway, sky3ds or R4?
Thanks

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
You need rxTools, not ReiNAND as mashers suggested since you have an old 3DS. Read https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/. Updating to 9.2 is not mandatory, it is just if you want to be able to autoboot (the tutorial I linked also covers this). You could equally well downgrade settings to 6.x and use the DS profile exploit to launch your CFW, or use the web browser, if you wanted. If you do want to update to 9.2, you could use sysupdater (only in devmode or pasta mode NOT rxmode, and with sysupdater NOT any other CIA manager).

mashers

Stubborn ape
Trophies
XP
Country
@KingManu23
3dsdb.com contains a list of which firmware versions came with which games. Alternatively, you can download the CIA files for 9.2 and install manually using sysupdater.

@Quantumcat
I believe Rei works on o3ds now too, but you're right rxtools is also an option for o3ds. However, there's absolutely no reason to stay on <9.2 firmware. 9.2 give much more reliable methods for accessing CFW.

Reactions: The9thBit

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You need rxTools, not ReiNAND as mashers suggested since you have an old 3DS. Read https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-installing-rxtools-custom-firmware-3ds-and-2ds.390867/. Updating to 9.2 is not mandatory, it is just if you want to be able to autoboot (the tutorial I linked also covers this). You could equally well downgrade settings to 6.x and use the DS profile exploit to launch your CFW, or use the web browser, if you wanted. If you do want to update to 9.2, you could use sysupdater (only in devmode or pasta mode NOT rxmode, and with sysupdater NOT any other CIA manager).
Yes I would certainly recommend rxTools rather than reinand

KingManu23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Found a game that will let me update to 9.2.0E cooking mama Bon apitit.
Then can I use this guide to install rxtools?
And play 3ds roms

Flame

Me > You
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
you dont need a game to update to 9.2.... so you dont waste your money...

just read all the info on the stickys, tutorials and info on this forum.

just read and read.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-