Hacking SoftMii 2.0 Themes

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
Am I alone in thinking that these all look like crap? No offence to anyone who's put the work in, but really, nothing produced yet even comes close to looking as good as the official Nintendo screen.

Modifying just for the sake of modifying seems pointless if you're going to end up with a final product that looks worse than the original.

Fair play for making it all work though, I can't knock that. There's some clever stuff going on that I won't even pretend to understand.

Just my 2p's worth.

KiiWii

Editorial Team
Editorial Team
Trophies
Website
defaultdnb.github.io
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I semi agree here.

I haven't seen one theme that makes me go, yeah i wannit!

They are all pretty cool, but lackluster in one way or another.

Coloring the top section should surely be top of the list rather than several dodgy color variants on the pin board (which i never look at) or that bottom strip.

Fairplay to those who make them, brilliant work, but im looking forward more to progression.

I just wish I had the time to attempt this sort of thing.

KiiWii

Jizmo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I suppose because we all can't produce Nintendo's multimillion dollars worth of work from our desks, we should all just stop even trying to change/improve/mod the Wii. You may not like the work but at least it's pushing things forward and appreciated by some people. Feel free not to download and install any of my themes. It won't hurt my feelings.

EDIT: btw, I only a few hours ago became privy to the information about what is causing the corruption when trying to edit the channels panel. It's a pretty tricky issue involving overlapping components and common colors.

Other that a still pic of the ROUND channel windows somebody posted a while back , i've yet to see an actual modified channel panel.

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
Jizmo said:
Yea, I suppose because we all can't produce Nintendo's multimillion dollars worth of work from our desks, we should all just stop even trying to change/improve/mod the Wii. You may not like the work but at least it's pushing things forward and appreciated by some people. Feel free not to download and install any of my themes. It won't hurt my feelings.
I'm not knocking the work anyone's doing mate. Fair play to everyone, you've all achieved things I'd have no idea how to do.

Just think things have got a LOOONG way to go before there's a theme that people are going to fight to get their hands on.

Keep up the good work, I'll be watching the progress with great interest.

Syndication

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
Yea, I suppose because we all can't produce Nintendo's multimillion dollars worth of work from our desks, we should all just stop even trying to change/improve/mod the Wii. You may not like the work but at least it's pushing things forward and appreciated by some people

You need to learn to take some criticism. It's superb that you can do all this and we're all excited about it but in my opinion too, the themes that have been linked so far are ugly as sin. You do not need "multimillion dollars" to come up with a tiny section of imagery that does not look like it fell into a paint factory and blew the damn thing up.

If a nice looking theme comes along, I'd love to use it but at the moment, in my opinion, the themes are poorly done hack-job's and we should be allowed to say so without any sulking or whining. You should at worst throw out the usual "go make your own theme then".

All said, the work is otherwise very much appreciated and I look forward to seeing how a properly redone theme will look.

Jizmo

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I couldn't help but be sulking or whining, look at Richy Freeway's pic for gods sake! I think that pic alone is enough to set anybody off!

ether2802

we have the techno...!!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
there will be never a nicer images-theme till someone makes a better ash compressor, or have the same tools "N" uses to create banners and graphics

david432111

Trophies
XP
Country
Richy Freeway said:
Am I alone in thinking that these all look like crap? No offence to anyone who's put the work in, but really, nothing produced yet even comes close to looking as good as the official Nintendo screen.

Modifying just for the sake of modifying seems pointless if you're going to end up with a final product that looks worse than the original.

Fair play for making it all work though, I can't knock that. There's some clever stuff going on that I won't even pretend to understand.

Just my 2p's worth.
I kind of agree, but still we've come along way and this is just the beginning. Eventually these type of system menu mods will get prettier as people find out more about the system menu.

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
The problem is just that the Wii Menu is pretty much perfect and not meant to be modded/changed in any way.
You will need to be verry talented and experienced to make something decent looking, with the small given possibilities(even brlan/brlyt editing wont help, cause the way how the Wii works cant be changed).
But still great for most people cause they will think "wow cool! i made my own Wii Menu!".

However, i personally will wait for an real alternative Dashboard (*hint* WiiMu
wink.gif
)
But if some one makes an good looking "dark" skin, i will give it a try!

TheEnigmaLiesbro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally like the Black skin thing but I hated the Green Pointer. A red pointer, a black pointer with a white outline or just the original one would have been fantastic. The green one is too flashy against the white background. It might be cool for the black but not the white.

How do I mod that? Can someone link me directly to the stuff? (i'm not computer illiterate, wouldnt screw this up, just have no idea what to use)

Also - For these new 00000042.app's skin themes, can I still run them through Healthii and change the health screen like I could with the old softmii version, or has there been some kind of change that i need to be aware of before I try changing it.

linkmaster03

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good job. I can't wait until it's possible to change the color behind the channels, and the buttons. Just changing the hue of everything would make it look hot.

MikeyTaylorGaming

YouTube Glitcher
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
is it possible to have both the health screen custom i have now and a custom menu? thats something i'm confused about.

there should be like options (eventually of course) to install as a sys menu or healthscreen etc. but it'd only let you install them if the image size was pixel perfect or something

kyle007

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol i think the softmii team isnt using it anymore go to the link i provided that will have all the themes on it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att is displaying prices like it's an ingredients list now lol