So... Xbox One, or PS4? your next-gen choice

If you had to pick one, which would it be?

• The Xbox One

Votes: 10 4.5%
  • The PS4

Votes: 86 38.6%
  • The WiiU

Votes: 91 40.8%
  • None / a PC

Votes: 36 16.1%

• Total voters

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This may be the wrong place to post it, but I'm honestly very surprised on the reactions to this generations consoles.

To begin, the XBox One, I believe, is a very nice iteration on the XBox 360. It let's you run multiple apps at once (Skype + game or IE + game would be pretty sweet), can act as a set top box (very nice - I hate the crappy set top boxes most providers give you), has better Kinect (finally, the "grab" action!), and can play Blu-Rays. Combine that with the fact that they said it will run very cool and quiet, and that sounds like a really nice device to me! The current XBox interface is very nice, but the aging console struggles to keep up with it, and the extra speed introduced by the new model will be a welcome improvement. Based on the (yet unannounced) price, this would make a great addition to my living room as it could replace so many other devices with just a single box. 4K support is also sweet.

The PS4 also looks really good, but my major concern is whether or not Sony will be able to support the ecosystem better than it did with the PS3. The PS3 is a however many year old console at this point, but even with all of the latest updates mine still seems to lock up a decent amount in the menu or the store, and games don't seem to be quite as stable, either. The PlayStation Network, while free, isn't the most speedy or reliable service, and I would gladly pay $50 a year to support development of it so that it is more reliable (call me crazy, right?).

The WiiU is quite simply the next Nintendo console, which means its pretty much a must buy if you enjoy Nintendo franchises. Honestly, that's pretty much all they need. Any feature beyond that is just an added plus. That being said, I really wish they would hurry up and make it so that eShop purchases are tied to a single account across devices rather than to the consoles themselves.

All in all, I'm very much looking forward to all of the next consoles, although I certainly won't be buying any of them at launch.

One thing that does surprise me, though, is that everyone is up in arms about the (not really confirmed or denied) policy that Microsoft is instating in regards to used games. Realistically, the software distribution system is very different from what it was when consoles first came about those many, many years ago. YOU DO NOT BUY THE DISK WHEN YOU BUY A GAME! You buy a personal license to use the software. If your friend wants to play the game, they are going to have to get their own license. That is how developers stay in business.

This is the case everywhere else EXCEPT on consoles. You cannot lend or trade "used" games on Steam. I've also never heard of anyone buying a "used" copy of Microsoft Office online. The removal of the used games industry on consoles can only be good for the market and for consumers. You never see any new console games on sale for prices as low as Steam sales, and that's because of the like of GameStop. I'm honestly quite looking forward to what is going to happen next.

Reactions: chavosaur

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it depends on which one has the games that i want to play, if ps4 has more games that i want to play then i'll get one first, if it xbox one(IMO its a supid name) then i get One. later on i'll get the other console

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
One thing that does surprise me, though, is that everyone is up in arms about the (not really confirmed or denied) policy that Microsoft is instating in regards to used games. Realistically, the software distribution system is very different from what it was when consoles first came about those many, many years ago. YOU DO NOT BUY THE DISK WHEN YOU BUY A GAME! You buy a personal license to use the software. If your friend wants to play the game, they are going to have to get their own license. That is how developers stay in business.

This is the case everywhere else EXCEPT on consoles. You cannot lend or trade "used" games on Steam. I've also never heard of anyone buying a "used" copy of Microsoft Office online. The removal of the used games industry on consoles can only be good for the market and for consumers. You never see any new console games on sale for prices as low as Steam sales, and that's because of the like of GameStop. I'm honestly quite looking forward to what is going to happen next.

Buying and reselling software. Various companies have tried to block it in various forms ranging from OEM versions, EULA restrictions (which are variable depending upon where you live in the world) and other such things.
Europe said fine not so long ago too -- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/27/software_licences_ruling_ecj/
Moreover there is (was?) a tidy business in buying and selling defunct companies, keeping them on the books and thus gaining the chance to use their software licenses.

If they are going to introduce a license model then game prices had better drop drastically for me to still consider it a good deal.

"That is how developers stay in business."
Free money for nothing is nice, I usually thought companies of any stripe stayed in business by charging for a product or service. This may not be directly related to the matter at hand (many had Dell as making more money from finance of computer sales and support than direct profit for instance).

Basically it could be said the used market has a right to exist (given they are "screwed" either way if a legal case could have happened it probably would have) and frustrating it like this is something of a dick move. Do we ban/frustrate all second hand music, books and video shops next?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
What the fuck is up with the names this generation?

Nintendo: you know what, guys? We'll name our next console wiiu, market the controller and then be surprised that people think it's a new wii controller
boxer8: you thought wiiu was a bad name? We'll call our console after the sound one makes after dropping something large on your toe. That's right: every random shout of "OUYAAAAA!!!!" is free propaganda!
microsoft: the guy who comes up with names for windows distributions also named our console.

Christ almighty. I think pretty visually. In this case, I see three guys of the above companies pretty much at each other's throat coming up with the best name for the console (and laughing at the other's attempts). Meanwhile, sony had quit that competition after like five minutes with a remark like "fuck this shit. Have your fancy-schmancy names. We'll just go with PS4 for familiarity's sake. I'm going home".

...and in the morning, he gets a phone call by someone (that would be me) congratulating him for coming up with the best console name*.

Ahem...but I digress. On topic: I already have a wiiu and I'm enjoying it. Second place would go to either a tie between a new PC and a PS4 (but that's mainly because of Witness and Knack).

*yeah, I'm a bit early. But I don't feel like waiting until valve decides to join in on the fun and rename 'steambox' to something worth facepalming for.

DragorianSword

GBAtemp's #1 Gunter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I'll stay with my handhelds and pc this generation.
Always was more of a handheld gamer anyway and there are only a few console exclusives that I miss.
(like KH, GoW and Halo, but oh well)

Kyle Hyde

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Gonna wait for E3 before I decide. Well, in fact I'm probably gonna end up buying both of them, but definitely not within a month. Right now (obviously) the PS4 takes the top spot. No need to go over what the entire internet already pointed out about Xbox One. What will be crucial for me, are the exclusives. The only way Microsoft can convince me to anticipate the Xbox One just as much as the PS4 is exclusives. And they gotta be crazy good. I don't have a single Xbox exclusive as of now, while my (considerably smaller) PS3 library consists of nothing but exclusives. So it's gonna be tough for MS to get me to their side.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
's called humour. ;)
It's called statistic manipulation (or being an ass). If you want a reliable poll, you shouldn't purposefully try to influence the results. In the title he suggests that the Wii U isn't even an option, then in the post says it's just a renamed Wii.

I expected better from him.

Walker D

I have a hat
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
PityOnU, I don't think the used games thing is much of a hassle, when speaking of physical disks and cartridges (digital copies, in the other hand, are a more complex case). They're not going to create a insane market of used games or harm the game studios more than piracy or something..
Not having the option to play used games (at least physical copies) seems just a dumb cut.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
PS4. 'Nuff said. I'll probably get a WiiU at some point for the few interesting games that'll be exclusive (and the possibility of getting rid of my Wii for a vWii USB loader). Less space wasted on my TV set.

I'm kinda sad that the new Xbox has very few features I'd want for a console. Especially the online requirements (be it any kind) makes the Xbox a no-no for a media player/second console for my summer cottage.

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The features revealed for the Xbox one yesterday don't really interest me.
I don't care about online gaming/Xblox live, Netflix and all those other services.

I would've probably gotten a Wii U if it played Blu-ray movies, but nope.
It doesn't really have any games that truely makes me wanna buy one right now.

The PS4 looks interesting, but I probably won't be able to afford it lol :lol:

Silverthorn

Spiky!
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'll probably stay whith my PC and handhelds for this generation I guess.
I got a 3ds XL recently and I still have a DS and a PSP.
But if I end up buying one it will be a choice between PS4 and WiiU.
No used games on a console is pretty meh, seeing how much current games cost.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Buying and reselling software. Various companies have tried to block it in various forms ranging from OEM versions, EULA restrictions (which are variable depending upon where you live in the world) and other such things.
Europe said fine not so long ago too -- http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/04/27/software_licences_ruling_ecj/
Moreover there is (was?) a tidy business in buying and selling defunct companies, keeping them on the books and thus gaining the chance to use their software licenses.

If they are going to introduce a license model then game prices had better drop drastically for me to still consider it a good deal.

I agree. But based on what we have seen from Steam, they would.

"That is how developers stay in business."
Free money for nothing is nice, I usually thought companies of any stripe stayed in business by charging for a product or service. This may not be directly related to the matter at hand (many had Dell as making more money from finance of computer sales and support than direct profit for instance).

Basically it could be said the used market has a right to exist (given they are "screwed" either way if a legal case could have happened it probably would have) and frustrating it like this is something of a dick move. Do we ban/frustrate all second hand music, books and video shops next?

To be a bit of an extreme devil's advocate here, I would argue yes, we should. Piracy is largely frowned upon in today's society (even by a number of important members here on GBATemp). Why is this the case? It's because piracy robs content creators of the compensation they are entitled to from you using their work. That's pretty easy to see.

Continuing from this, when you buy a "used game/movie/book" (UGMB) from a UGMB store, they have not purchased the content from the creator, or from any authorized agent of the content creator. That means that no matter how much money you pay for the UGMB, the creator is not receiving any compensation. This sounds very similar to piracy. Not only that, but the UGMB store is actually directly profiting from this activity, which, as was said previously, is pretty close in description to piracy.

If you take this to the largest of extremes, potentially every single person in the world could play/watch/read a UGMB with the content creator only receiving compensation for one (1) copy of the work, assuming the single copy was immediately traded in and resold after being finished at a UGMB store.

Personally, I do not buy any used games or sell any of the games I have played. My opinion is that it is morally wrong and would make me worse than a flat out pirate. Of course, other opinions are available, and you are entitled to your own.

But, back on topic, an interesting use case I see for the "one account per game" assertion we are seeing is the ability to take your game to a friend's house, sign in with your account, play with them, and then if they like it, allow them to purchase rights to the game on their account, and install the game to their device straight from the physical copy. It would sure remove a huge strain from our (way too slow) internet connections, and would be really nice if you wanted to play co-op of said game with the same person later that night from back at your house. This isn't really possible on current-gen consoles.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's called statistic manipulation (or being an ass). If you want a reliable poll, you shouldn't purposefully try to influence the results. In the title he suggests that the Wii U isn't even an option, then in the post says it's just a renamed Wii..
Truth hurts eh?
Statistic manipulation my butt, the whole poll is just there for people to say what they're getting.
This isn't a presidential vote for who will win, it's basically a survey asking what you're getting.

jumpman1229

SUPER BOWL XLVII CHAMPIONS!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely have to go with the PS4! In my opinion the exclusives are much better for the Playstation than the Xbox. Plus, I already had my PS3 and PS+ subscription and that lasts for about another year and half. The free online multiplayer is another big factor. Not hating on the Xbox, definitely looks like it might be cool, but definitely not for me. Sony all the way!

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Truth hurts eh?
Statistic manipulation my butt, the whole poll is just there for people to say what they're getting.
This isn't a presidential vote for who will win, it's basically a survey asking what you're getting.
What do you mean "truth hurts"? It doesn't matter what the survey is about, it's not okay to try manipulating the votes.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What do you mean "truth hurts"? It doesn't matter what the survey is about, it's not okay to try manipulating the votes.
But there's no manipulation involved, it doesn't saw antibodies opinion in anyway.
Again, it's not a vote to see who will come out on top, it's just asking what you wanna get.
And I meant truth hurts about the wii u being a slightly upgraded wii :tpi:
I can make jokes, I own one of the poor things~

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm going to manipulate votes a little bit more, because a funny statement is apparently enough to sway public opinion to either side.

jbzgW8FF1GHQfk.png

Reactions: chavosaur

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I voted for PS4 also.

I dont want Kinect forced in my face nor have to have it connected for the xbox to work. Games for me is with a controller in your hands.

Also, the used games scenario bugs me. Its DRM gone mad. Ive had a 360 this gen but like others, it wont be happening the following generation unless Sony drop a massive bollock over the coming months and come out with ideas equally as stupid as microsoft. As it stands, M$ wont get a penny from me this time

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo