So, I've just discovered about a pretty nice series called The Legend of Dark Witch (it's like Megaman meets Gradius and also... witches)

YukidaruPunch

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm on mobile so don't expect anything too fancy. There's no Wikipedia page, so Wikia will have to do.

Screenshot_20230503-024519-275.png

Discovered this out of nowhere and must say, it's pretty nice! I'm currently playing the first game and supposedly the later games actually get better. The gameplay is the standard Megaman jump-and-shoot style you already know, but every time you defeat and enemy they drop some things which fill a bar that can upgrade your skills. You can upgrade your speed, and later the type of your shot, spread, power and so on. You can put it to Auto, Semi-auto or Manual, choosing whether you want to be in full control of what order you'll upgrade or you'll let the game decide. If this sounded like Gradius, that's because it totally is! The inspiration is blatant, but it works.
large.jpg

You can choose the order of the stages you'll complete and on all stages there are two special crystals hidden somewhere which you can find by shooting at anywhere until you discover you found the hidden spot and then you'll get a permanent upgrade. This is a simple but nice system that gets a little difficult to understand at first because the game's translation is a fucking mess. It's not incomprehensible but it's just functional, as if it was done by machine, overly literal and definitely not proofread. There's a certain charm to it, but yeah, I'm not a localiser but even I could clean this up if it was my job.

large (1).jpg

Besides these aforementioned upgrades, you can buy permanent upgrades for both your stats and the weapons the bosses drop. To do that, press Y on the stage selection. Once more this is a tad difficult to learn at first since the translation sounds a little drunk when it comes to descriptions.

large (2).jpg

I'm playing the first one in the series and it's not a perfect game (the subweapons are worthless and it's badly explained that they use the bottom gauge as ammo), but honestly, I'm not caring that much because it is fun! I'm having fun! And sometimes people make so much ado about big games and then you find something very small which actually gets your attention and you just want to play more. Searching this online makes it seem like it's virtually impossible to even hear about it, so I decided to give this recommendation.

The Wikia says it's inspired by Touhou, and as someone who was never ever able to get into that, I found it nice to find something that actually suits my tastes better even then its inspirations (I'm not the big on Megaman either, if I'm to be honest - but I love Gradius!) so I just wanted to share the love. If even one or just another Temper tries to give this one a shot, maybe they'll find something they like.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
These games are awesome. I bought them all when they were on sale for very cheap.
But they are also quite hard when not using lowest difficulty.

Have not looked into the third one. As far as I know it offers stereoscopic game mode only on "New" series consoles which is a bit of a bummer.

Reactions: YukidaruPunch

DragonMals

6th-7th Gen Retro Gaming Entusiast
Trophies
Country
United States
This game might seem harmless but this game is one of the worst games I've ever played.

I'm not stopping anyone from playing this game, but you be better off playing what has inspired it than this

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o