So, im going to conduct a risky operation, but I need some input

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Gunfreak11, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Gunfreak11
    OP

Member Gunfreak11 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Hello! In my possession are two DS's, both messed up because of intensive use. Here are the problems

DS1
    Broken top screen LCD
    Faulty touch screen (LCD is fine)
    DS2
    Bad top screen ribbon (I believe...) - LCD starts with white screen, but can be forced into a high contrast state. Once stayed perfect
    Broken Hinge, the cause of the bad ribbon.

I plan to move the top screen from DS2 into DS1 first, opening only the top screen.. If all goes well, there will be some non-touch screen gaming before the next part. RIP TWEWY

2. DrOctapu

Member DrOctapu Magnificent Bastard

United States
    To get rid of static, just take the battery out then power it up a few times, works for the NES.

3. Masterchamber

Newcomer Masterchamber Advanced Member

Australia
    happy birthday!!!!!! [​IMG]

4. Gunfreak11
    OP

United States
    Just thought i'd tell you guys that I successfully transplanted the top lcd from DS2 to DS1. As I suspected, the ribbon was out on #2, so it went in smoothly on DS1.

Now all I have to do is switch the touch screen, but I'd need to get a Tri Wing for that >_>. I tried a Torx 5 (The smallest available to me), and it didn't go well...

It's awesome having a DS with working hinges and screens XD Does anyone know where I can find an EZFlash for the original ds?

5. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    Are these DS Lites?

That's the reason I don't switch from my DS Phat. The Phat is built like a tank. I swear, I could probably stop a bullet with that thing, turn it on, and play New Super Mario Bros. for 3 hours.

6. Gunfreak11
    OP

United States
    No, they are the original DS's. I like the bigger size! I can also agree with you on their durability as well. The only reason the hinge broke was because my younger sister got angry at me and decided to throw the DS at me. She missed and hit the floor. TBH, when I saw the damage, I was both angry and astonished -- It worked, but it had a broken hinge >:O.

7. Bishopk

Newcomer Bishopk Newbie

United States
    I've done some stuff pretty similar with my DSLite(s). I'd tell you to be careful about not breaking the power switch, like I've done twice, but that's not possible on the original.

8. jruschme

Newcomer jruschme Advanced Member

United States
    Any possibility that the OP might be willing to sell the leftover motherboard cheap? I've got a neighbor's DSL here that I'd like to revive for him.

[Oops... never mind, I just noticed that the OP is talking about Phats. Although if anyone has a spare DSL motherboard... :-)]

Thanks...
    John