so i finally get pandora working outside the US....

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
and this is the msg i get...

padoraerrorav1.png
[/URL]

i can now enjoy the same level of incompitence that americans put up with every day.

Vaala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
EmperorOfCanada said:
My instincts tell me to use google. But instead I will spoil myself and be lazy. What is Pandora? (aside from a common PSP tool)
+1 for me then...

It's a website with a "radio" where you enter an artist name and it will play suggested songs from various similar bands based on "I like it", "I don't like it" feedback.

Vaala

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
EmperorOfCanada said:
Hrm. And why does anyone care about this? (Not taking a shot at the OP) But .. who cares?
People who wants to check out new artists, or people who wants to listen to "something ala Artist X", but doesn't really want to make a compilation or maybe he or she doesn't have all of it. I've used it a couple of times, and I found a couple new bands that way, though the 1000~ other bands I listen to I heard of somewhere else. So it hasn't really affected me, but I know many loves it.

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty much like Last.fm minus registration (I think you don't need to register for last.fm) and plus a more minimalistic flash "radio" format. It's just for people who want to experiment with different bands that fall into a particular niche.

Namely if you're listening to Band X all day long and you're sick and tired of it, you might search it up on Pandora and boom, you have... Band XY. A little different, but still the same elements you might like.

So the answer to your question is this: anyone who's forever satisfied with their current music collection doesn't care.

Foxle

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EmperorOfCanada said:
Hrm. And why does anyone care about this? (Not taking a shot at the OP) But .. who cares?

I personally love Pandora. It's a shame that because of Byzantine music licenses that this site has to stay US only. I'm glad that someone was able to get it working via proxy though. Pandora is a really nice site to go to when your current music collection is getting stale and you want to listen to some new artists.

nin10do

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
why pandora is so ef-in awsome...

with everyone downloading thier tracks nowadays how do you find good new music? people used to spend hours at shopping malls buying up cds and cassets and eventually found something they like.
in store however you find only a few artists compared to what you can find on the net. and now with free sites giving free music made by every nut job out there its even harder to wade through the load of bad music. big record labels only took on people they knew were going to be hits. so there was a good chance that a cd would do well. with the net now the way it is you need to search for music using new tools for the new age.

sure theres last fm. but thats run by the corporations. they'll push bands on to you by what THEY think is good, not by what YOU like. which brings us to sites like pandora. pandora searches for music similar in sound to a song you type in. so if you search using the name of a heavey metal band that screams a lot it'll find similar bands that scream a lot. it actually matches up by what you want. it can also be trained by you telling the site which proposed song you do or do not like.

so pandora is the only way to find good new music you like. thats an established FACT. so what do the record companies do? they shut it down. why? cuz they're blood sucking leeches who do not care about the artists and just want thier cut... a whopping cut i might add. infact when you buy a 30£ cd the artist actualy gets less than a pound. the rest goes to exectutives and middle men.

so whats the solution here? >>> find good new music on pandora. download it using torrents that way the bands popularity increases and they get money when you buy their merchandise and attend thier conserts. and the fancy schamncy executives only get to buy one jet instead of two.

and yeah i used a proxy. you have to find several before you get to one that runs it fast enough. proxy sites get shut down all the time. but it's like a hydra so theres no shortage you just have to look for new ones thats all. as always theres google for that.

Seven

oh hell no
Trophies
Website
phantasme.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
I suppose the results vary from people to people, but Last.fm totally doesn't "push" corporation-bound music onto me. In fact, I think that's really beside the point; if the music you listen to is good, there shouldn't really be anything that would inhibit you from listening to it. Pure enjoyment is really what matters.

In a comparison with both Pandora and last.fm, I've found that they were pretty equally decent at picking out songs that I'd like to listen to. One irk that I get from Pandora is that it often tries to slap errant and somewhat irrelevant tracks on when starting a station for the first time and this continues until I press "I don't like this track." a couple of times. Last.fm does a better job for me when it comes to station relevancy, most of the songs I'd love appear first and foremost to me. However, after about an hour's worth of listening, tracks seem to taper off into irrelevancy until I just quit going through it and go through a different artist's station.

The two are pretty equally matched, really. It's just that last.fm is a lot more social-circle based and it also incorporates a lot of programs that can "scrobble" what you're listening to in media players in order to give you more recommendations based on what artists you like.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SMG4 @ SMG4: hi