Hacking So I bought two gateways from realhotstuff and they both look different.

SolidSuneku

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm all my 2 GW red cards are spring loaded too (one a year old, and one from a month ago).

Maybe those that are not spring loaded are fakes too? Can someone post pictures of their non-spring loaded GW red card?

The ones you see in the pictures that are in my original post are both gateways I've got from RealHotStuff. One is springloaded and the other one isn't , the one that isnt is the one on the left in the first picture.

SolidSuneku , you can upload all the pictures together on imgur and have 1 link to see them all, no need for 1 link at a time :C

i also heard the retailer prints and applies the stickers, some of gateways dont even have stickers

ignore the stickers, is there any diferences on the 2 cards? can you open them and give a check inside?
Yeah, I didnt know how to do that on the imgur app so I just did it anyway I could, sorry! :c Also I don't think I'd feel comfortable opening them up to see the insides.

St0ne

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Are you shitting me?? 7 days from HK/Macau? That is about what it takes for in-country orders for me (including handling time).

I know! I added the 2$ insurance, for 70usd, 88$ CAD it was reasonable, and it gave me the tracking. Still, first time HK-canada in 5 buisness day! normaly it take 21-28! and at christmas time! I had not ordered the sd/microsd yet:nayps3: I did on the 20th when I saw it had crossed border, but havent recieved them yet (NCIX). Best "by me from me" unexpected present, kodo to HKmail, Canadapost and RHS.hk for that lol

Kohmei

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally I think the spring loading lowers the build quality of the entire device. I can't push my microSD card in smoothly without it catching on some kind of mechanism inside, which ejects the spring. Then I have to push it down again to lock it in place. Even if it push down to eject at this point, I will still have to push down twice to actually get the card into the slot. Seems really cheap and I'm sure it's going to break in no time at all.

Reactions: Liberty

tbb043

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm confused now. Is the spring loaded one the new or the old batch?

Apparently it's a bit of a crapshoot.

My data point, bought mine from realhotstuff back in the end of march. Spring loaded.

I don't know if it matters but I used the US storefront.

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some people said that theirs — that they thought were springless — actually had the spring disabled (or maybe broken?). I did this accidentally by forgetting a cart was spring-loaded so I pulled the microSD out and then it worked like springless until I pushed it in farther.

Reactions: DSlite2

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Some people said that theirs — that they thought were springless — actually had the spring disabled (or maybe broken?). I did this accidentally by forgetting a cart was spring-loaded so I pulled the microSD out and then it worked like springless until I pushed it in farther.

I think all are like that i've been using mine without realizing there's spring for months, only once i've accidently pressed on sd card i realized there's a spring lock.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I got a spring loaded GW from new3dscard UK.

I'm pretty sure it is faulty, put the sd card in and you can pull it out without pressing on it...

Why have they started doing spring loaded ones again?
I got mine like 6 months ago and it's just the same. It seems it doesn't lock the card into the slot, only the spring.

Ashtonx

n0l1f3
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Does it read the sd card still?

Only reason I ask is because I've got no way of testing until GW release 3.0 :D.

I've mentioned 2 times here that I've learned about spring after few months, you can safely assume i was using gateway during that time.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Does it read the sd card still?

Only reason I ask is because I've got no way of testing until GW release 3.0 :D.
yeah, it reads the micro sd perfectly fine.

Actually I'm not a fan of spring-loaded micro sd slots because they have a tendency of sending the little thing flying if your fingernail slips

dustmite

Stays Frosty
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
mine is a few weeks old and spring loaded. The spring mechanism
feels kind of cheap when pushing the micro sd card in.

So the spring does not lock the card? Can i pull the sd card out - like from a not
spring loaded card?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
mine is a few weeks old and spring loaded. The spring mechanism
feels kind of cheap when pushing the micro sd card in.

So the spring does not lock the card? Can i pull the sd card out - like from a not
spring loaded card?
yeah, it doesn't get locked in, so you can just use the card as if its not a spring loaded slot, i have probably used the spring like a couple of times, most of the time i just slide it out like there is no spring anyway....so if anyone is worried about spring loaded slots breaking after continued use, there is no obligation to actually use the spring mechanism

Arnold0

Trophies
Website
arnold0.com
XP
Country
France
Are you sure there is some which are not spring loaded, because I remember when I got mine, the spring mechanism was like if there is a card inside, so when I putted the card in, if not pushed down enough it would seem it's not spring loaded but it is. And I got mine more than 1 year ago as I remember using win32diskimager to write rooms, a scam I was victim when trying to buy 10 mSD Class10 on eBay (Never got back my 50€, RIP in chinese hands) and the waitway for version 2.0.

Reactions: DSlite2

DSlite2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you sure there is some which are not spring loaded, because I remember when I got mine, the spring mechanism was like if there is a card inside, so when I putted the card in, if not pushed down enough it would seem it's not spring loaded but it is..

yeah that is what turned out to be the case for mine. I have a feeling that is the case for everyone who thinks they have a non-spring version.

kargath

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah that is what turned out to be the case for mine. I have a feeling that is the case for everyone who thinks they have a non-spring version.
Again..I preordered mine well before it was released. I received mine shortly after they were shipping, so I have to assume it was part of the first run. Mine is NOT spring loaded. In fact, when I saw this thread, the first thing I did was double check by trying to push the chip past the normal resting point. Short of taking it apart to inspect the mechanism, mine is not spring loaded.

No need to suspect/assume that every other user is an idiot... I'm a 36 year old electrical engineer... I know my way around electronics...

I don't really feel like taking apart the case. I don't mind peeling off the label to find out if I can see inside any better, though, so I'll do that and if by some crazy chance I ended up with one that should be spring loaded but just has a broken mech, I'll report back. I really don't expect that to be the case though...

Personally, I've never been a fan of spring loaded mechanisms. It's just one more thing that can break.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My gateway is from the initial batch (i preordered well before it was released), it's legit and is NOT spring loaded. Makes me think that age isn't necessarily a factor.
there is a NON spring loaded version? i wish i had them for my 2 gws, i thought flashcards stopped using springs after the middle of the ds era when springs would break :)
You don't need to press it to remove the card, that's why a lot of people think it's not springloaded.
I thought it wasn't springloaded, but it is!
just press hard and you will see.

To prevent breaking the spring, just never press it and remove the card by catching it, like if there weren't any spring.

It doesn't mean that all version are springloaded, but the one with spring can be used like if there weren't any spring if you don't like using it.

Edit:
I guess I should read the thread fully before quoting first page :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4