So I bought two gateways from realhotstuff and they both look different.

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by SolidSuneku, Dec 27, 2014.

1. SolidSuneku
    OP

SolidSuneku Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2014
    United States
    as the title says, they're both noticeably different. I'm wondering if one is the old version and the other is the new? Or if ones a fake. The one with the more chunkier text and lighter red gateway came recently in a recent order when RHS restocked their supply of gateways. I find that to be a bit odd because it looks like it'd be the old version if anything, why would RHS restock on the older cards? In the end it doesn't matter cause they both do the same, I just find it odd.

Here are pictures of the gateways:
    http://imgur.com/kmbjhKA
    http://imgur.com/FYwvSrH
    http://imgur.com/PvsCmGr
    http://imgur.com/BTvwZyN
    http://imgur.com/HbkT4UZ
    http://imgur.com/EkH1RNw
    http://imgur.com/bklu2Ra

Anyways, advice? Should I care, is it fake? Etc. Thanks in advance

2. DSlite2

DSlite2 VR Supporter

Jul 11, 2012
    United States
    That is interesting. I've read that there is a version of the GW Red card with a spring loaded microSD slot. I wonder if one of your red cards is the spring loaded version.

3. shinta86

shinta86 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 21, 2010
    United States
    I just got a Gateway from RealHotStuff and the red card is spring loaded.

4. Adeka

Adeka Beta Tester

Mar 19, 2013
    United States
    I heard some retailers print our their own stickers and put them on the card. I wouldnt worry too much about it.

Just check the 8th pin on your first picture. If the golden part is longer then all the other golden pins, then the card is real.

Margen67 and migles like this.
  5. luney

luney GBAtemp Fan

Aug 30, 2006
    United States
    I bought mine from RHS well over a year ago and the slot is spring loaded.

6. Melon__Bread

Melon__Bread ~It's A Magik~

Dec 9, 2013
    United States
    Same here

7. SolidSuneku
    OP

SolidSuneku Member

Newcomer
    Nov 23, 2014
    United States
    Yep, just checked it out and the older one I got is spring loaded but the most recent one isn't and yeah counting from the left to right, the eighth pin is longest but counting from right to left the eighth isn't, this goes for both of them.

8. DSlite2

DSlite2 VR Supporter

Jul 11, 2012
    United States
    I have 2 GW red cards and my microSD slot just slides in on both. I think you just have both versions of the GW red cards. I'm assuming the spring loading version is the older model. My GW cards were purchased in July and December of this year.

9. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    I bought a Gateway from realhotstuff in November and the microsd is spring loaded. This was after they restocked.

10. justln

justln GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2013
    Just curious, will the spring loaded one last longer or the one without?

11. codychaosx

codychaosx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Same here. Kind of odd then if it was after they restocked. i Remember my original launch gateway was spring loaded. I didnt realize they made them any other way.

12. MGS1980

MGS1980 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 27, 2014
    United States
    I also bought a Gateway from RealHotStuff about a year ago and mine is spring loaded. I've noticed that sometimes the spring doesn't want to lock down when I change out SD cards, so maybe they decided to scrap it due to durability reasons. That or whoever is manufacturing the actual cards cut the spring out in order to increase their profit margin on each cart. Granted that they probably only cost pennies per piece, but you multiply that over time, and then you can see that that is decent money left on the table. Let's face it, they aren't doing this for any other reason after all.

Margen67 likes this.
  13. PLEYOR

PLEYOR GBAtemp Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    I got a spring loaded GW from new3dscard UK.

I'm pretty sure it is faulty, put the sd card in and you can pull it out without pressing on it...

Why have they started doing spring loaded ones again?

14. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    SolidSuneku , you can upload all the pictures together on imgur and have 1 link to see them all, no need for 1 link at a time :C

i also heard the retailer prints and applies the stickers, some of gateways dont even have stickers

ignore the stickers, is there any diferences on the 2 cards? can you open them and give a check inside?

15. json

json MUSCLEMAN

Aug 9, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    Hmm all my 2 GW red cards are spring loaded too (one a year old, and one from a month ago).

Maybe those that are not spring loaded are fakes too? Can someone post pictures of their non-spring loaded GW red card?

16. cearp

cearp the ticket master

May 26, 2008
    Tuvalu
    there is a NON spring loaded version? i wish i had them for my 2 gws, i thought flashcards stopped using springs after the middle of the ds era when springs would break :)

17. xBleedingSoulx

xBleedingSoulx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 20, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Barnsley, England
    If the springs break, just use tape to hold the MicroSD in, that's what I had to do back with my R4. xD

cearp likes this.
  18. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    I have a spring loaded one, works fine tho.

19. tyons

tyons GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 11, 2012
    Italy
    lol I have the spring one but most of the times I forget about it and I extract the micro sd as if it doesn't have the spring. then I remember, put it back in and extract it properly >_>

20. kargath

kargath Member

Newcomer
    Mar 29, 2007
    United States
    My gateway is from the initial batch (i preordered well before it was released), it's legit and is NOT spring loaded. Makes me think that age isn't necessarily a factor.

Margen67 and DSlite2 like this.