So counterfeit NES Classics are out now

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Unless you want to use the same shader for all games or at least all gb/gbc games then yes.
That would work for me. My only complaint is the screen being too far from that of a game boy for games to look great. Colors are too aggressive (because they needed to be for people to notice them on these old screens).
Of course you could always compile a separate copy of the core for those games with a different name so that it can have a different configuration.
Ok, now I see why you need to set things up everytime. But then the problem with Retropie isn't the lack of virtual keyboard, it's the lack of per-game shader configuration. We agree there's a problem though.

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Yes you do as some things like shaders and networking require a keyboard to set up. Yes, I know technically you can set up wifi without a keyboard by transferring wpa_supplicant but that just means you need to have a laptop running Linux with you.

Oh, but yeah, so what?
We're talking about using the RPi as a substitute for the NES/SNES classic.
Those devices don't even have wifi, and you don't really need wifi for RetroPi, can just stick the games in the SD card.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well it seems to be hdmi, so it can't be that bad. I'm worried about low framerate though. The fact they chose to make a clone of the interface that looks almost identical is concerning, why don't they just flash the official image? Unless the hardware is incompatible (or the official image doesn't do Mandarin)

danielretrogamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Maybe the chinese are just using a new case and ports for an already existing hardware. There are some multi system consoles with HDMI, like "data frog HDMI 4gb" which emulates SNES Neogeo and such. Maybe this is a stripped-down, highly overpriced version.
The seller is indeed a good one, he sells refurbished big N portables, but I am having a hard time getting answers on the NES. Whatever this is, he sells for twice the price of his refurbished DS Lites.

danielretrogamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So in this video there is a stack of boxes which do not look like the real one, maybe these are from the cheaper NOAC one without HDMI. And I hope they update/change firmware to just show a black screen on boot not that colorful crap.
I assume it is OK to link YouTube videos:

Does he have the console at all, or is just posting beta testing videos from the "factory"?

Edit: OK so it looks like they copied the EUROPEAN version of the box. Very good. And I read reviews on the NES Classic controllers this same seller sold, and buyer say they are made of cheap plastic. Hope I get my $75 worth.

Last edited by danielretrogamer,

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
so reading the comments from the two youtube videos:

It seems there is a "taobao" site that the reseller is purchasing from, however I think the listing had been pulled. https://world.taobao.com/item/552333582066.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a21m2.8232368.0.0.maZkyY

I do not know if the "welCome" is the Crassic's bootloader. Notably the input select disappears before the splashscreen which may prove it, but it does look like the tv was turned off, then the filmer reset the Crassic.

The first movie has a little indicator icon that seems to be running at a lower frame rate than the real thing, but the second video has a scene change that looks fluid. That might've been a fluke, or it might indicate that it's using different software/CPU

But I think the most important thing is that: it has HDMI and classic controller ports, and the interface looks like the real thing. I don't know about Chinese fabrication, but I really don't think they would go through all that work without compromising on using a cheaper standard for ports (such as USB) or having a rougher-looking OS. I think the easiest way for them to make something that looks this good is to be actually using original parts. I don't know how they would get them though, but if Nintendo literally used off-the-shelf parts and slapped the Classic together then it shouldn't be too difficlut for the counterfeiter to source identical or close enough port.

What's concerning is that it sounds like the Alibaba reseller bought his stock from the taobao site, which seems to have pulled the listing. They took my money, I would be disappointed if they cannot fulfill my order.

danielretrogamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Maybe the console in the video with a stack of NES CLASSIC boxes is a real NES CLASSIC. Sometimes the chinese use pictures of the original product and send a copy.
The seller in Aliexpress pulled the two links. But I dealt with him in the past and had no problem at all, he used to sell refurbished GBA and NDSL which for some reason shipped from Netherlands, not China.
But sometimes even the good Chinese sellers have trouble sending products on time and properly. They send products of different color, provide false tracking, etc.
But I believe the Crassic will be back for sale soon, if they got this far, they will keep producing and selling it.
Nintendo seems to focus on some specific products when cracking down online sellers. At least in Ali, links to SuperMario games, along with DK, Metroid, and some other are always quickly removed from SNES listings for example, while some other games, no one seems to care.

danielretrogamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So I got some pictures of the Crassic... Don't know if they are just pics from the original, if they are not... I can't tell the difference.
I do not own one or have seen one in person, and I doin't know who is producing or selling these.
TB2H2cPz9VmpuFjSZFFXXcZApXa_!!3236070904.jpg
TB2YSaoXHdvt1JjSZFuXXXG0FXa_!!3236070904.jpg
TB2RBs1z.hnpuFjSZFpXXcpuXXa_!!3236070904.jpg
TB201PJvHVkpuFjSspcXXbSMVXa_!!3236070904.jpg
TB2OL62vSFjpuFjSspbXXXagVXa_!!3236070904.jpg

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well it looks real enough for me. I'm a little surprised by the S/N sticker though - I'd expect that to be one detail that would be skipped to save costs (unless they all have the same S/N).

That being said, my order has now shipped. Based on past experience of ordering from China, the 90ish day shipping time should be somewhat accurate no matter if this is a good fake or not. I may end up getting my SNES Classic at the same time.

Assuming, of course, I ever get my hands on a real SNES Classic.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I updated the original post so that people wondering what the hububub is can skip to the juicy part.

I found some more discussion at NeoGAF and a Spanish forum

things to note:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=243053737&postcount=142
Apparently the AliExpress reseller delisted because they sold out of stock already (someone on that forum said they had sold about 230 units before delisting)
Makes me glad I jumped on it when I had the chance. The listing I bought from is now gone.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=243081895&postcount=162
A new listing on AliExpress has appeared: the Famicom Mini clone.

They're drunk with power though, because they're asking well over $100. I feel like this is an Austin Powers Dr. Evil moment.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/New...-Video-Game-Console-Original/32808040260.html
$200 Canadian. just because they're replicas doesn't mean they are desperate.

Final thoughts: I'd rather buy a fake then buy from a scalper. Nintendo sold their entire stock, so if I was to buy a fake I would literally only be hurting scalpers. I'd probably buy a real one if they ever manufactured more.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

https://translate.googleusercontent...LkJrhhCmvGkFywo6wJ-QvQuC4EzQlG7zw#p1744023355
<translated>It is exactly the same, it is manufactured in the same factory as the nes mini nintendo, it is a mini nes 1: 1, with the same allwinner r16 board and with 300mb of memory.

It seems that the Chinese can include it with the hack hakchi2 to have more emulators and games, but in any case can be restored from the factory and leave it as it comes the mini "original" nes, and I put it in quotation marks because it is the Same

Dep speculations

Oh god i hope so. I thought this might be the case

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=es&tl=en&u=https://www.elotrolado.net/hilo_hilo-oficial-nintendo-nes-classic-mini-clon-1-1_2238270_s680
Seems they found another site and are trying to order a whole container at once, getting as many people in as possible. Feel free to join in, but I don't know if anyone has even gotten one yet.

At this point they must've made so much money that if it's really terrible they may be facing a lawsuit.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

danielretrogamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
And it hits the news... most sites say someome at neogaf spotted it first, but I believe it was first discussed here. Even the pics I linked from Taobao are all over now (even ebay) and despite claims about hardware and emulator, no hands on review yet. We'll have to wait and see...but with the first 200-300 batch seling so fast I believe it will show up again.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

About the Famicom Mini mentioned above it is not a clone but an original one. More sellers have it and this has always been the price. The reason they cloned the NES first is demand (and value). A NES Classic goes for 2 or 3x the price of the famicom.

NESjimbo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does look pretty close to the real thing, but the sloppy placement of the NES badge on the front and the Nintendo logo on the controller are dead giveaways.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: @linuxares hiii