So counterfeit NES Classics are out now

danielretrogamer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Unlikely, but lets just hope the units tested in the videos are early beta firmware models. Or that the firmware is easy to hack.
I don't get it. Why make an effort to produce a 1:1 copy (looks) and use that crappy generic welcome boot screen.
How hard it is to replace it with a plain black screen?
Anyway, they sure didnt get this far just to sell couple hundred units.
Maybe they will improve it with time.
So by 2018 there will be stacks of brand new NES CLASSICS on shady stores all over the world, after all.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Unlikely, but lets just hope the units tested in the videos are early beta firmware models. Or that the firmware is easy to hack.
I don't get it. Why make an effort to produce a 1:1 copy (looks) and use that crappy generic welcome boot screen.
How hard it is to replace it with a plain black screen?
Anyway, they sure didnt get this far just to sell couple hundred units.
Maybe they will improve it with time.
So by 2018 there will be stacks of brand new NES CLASSICS on shady stores all over the world, after all.
Honestly it's probably the final firmware. otherwise the videos wouldn't be so fucking short.

Looking back, it's fairly obvious that all the effort would go into making it look like the real thing, but the internals would be cheaped out to something barely functional (which is considerable, considering the low power needed to emulate a NES). I don't think it will be compatible with hakchi, but it may be possible to reflash it with a more optimized firmware - assuming it's at all salvageable. I've head stories of people buying 500GB hdds only to discover that they only have a 2GB flash drive and some weights inside.

I'll keep tabs, but all I can do is with the two or so months for the one i ordered to arrive before i decide to be mad or relieved.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Genuine console: 161112_classicmini+%281%29.png
counterfeit: o90m5h.png

So not the same system. Perhaps hakchi has been ported to it, but doubtful. the usb port seems to recognize a PC but not communicate with it. Sounds like the controllers use a funky wiring in the plug also.

Most importantly, there may be enough of these kicking around that someone's going to try to tinker with it and see what it can do.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

oil_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
So the clone doesn't have an alwinner SoC. I couldn't find any info on that G1005 chip, maybe it's a clone of the alwinner chip?
If they used compatible hardware then they could just copy the software from the original console. Since they developed their own I'm not sure this clone will be able to run the original software or even hackchi.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it's missing a chip. the genuine one seems to have four big ones while the fake only has three big ones. I suppose it's only a matter of time before we get this thing picked apart.

And this is only going from one unit. If this one is different, then it's plausible that different units might be running different things depending on what was on hand.

I think if anyone's going to open these up I'd caution them to be careful. Modern electronics have some anti-static resistance, but I don't know if that's by default or something that can be skimped to save money.

The shell and controller seem to be really good though, possibly enough for a raspberry pi...

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I feel bad for laughing. I'm sorry but this is gold.
I'd like to think I came up with that. Sadly, both apply. Honestly I don't see any reason why you should feel bad, I should've expected this - and it really hasn't sunk in yet as I don't expect to get the Crassic for months, and by then the sting of the sunk cost won't be so deep.

it's interesting how on the Spanish forum I linked to they are heavily discussing how this misunderstanding happened and are demanding sources from those that claimed it was using an Allwinner cpu and would be a 1:1.

Reactions: dpad_5678

Megadaeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
And it hits the news... most sites say someome at neogaf spotted it first, but I believe it was first discussed here. Even the pics I linked from Taobao are all over now (even ebay) and despite claims about hardware and emulator, no hands on review yet. We'll have to wait and see...but with the first 200-300 batch seling so fast I believe it will show up again.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

About the Famicom Mini mentioned above it is not a clone but an original one. More sellers have it and this has always been the price. The reason they cloned the NES first is demand (and value). A NES Classic goes for 2 or 3x the price of the famicom.

No its was first discussed on the famicomworld forum (June 09, 2017, 08:49:25 AM)
http://www.famicomworld.com/forum/index.php?topic=13636.0

Last edited by Megadaeth,

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Whelp. The whole system is 240p.

On the bright side, sounds like if I stick a Pi3 into it it'll work, and I should even be able to hook up the front ports so I can use the original (Wii Classic) controllers.

oil_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Looking at the famicomworld thread they found out that the chip the clone uses is from one of those old cheap "mp4" players that had an NES emulator built in.
Seems that they reused one of those chips and only changed the software. No wonder why the menu lags and the emulation is so bad.
Not worth getting for the price IMO.
Maybe in the future they'll make a clone using the same hardware as the original.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Looking at the famicomworld thread they found out that the chip the clone uses is from one of those old cheap "mp4" players that had an NES emulator built in.
Seems that they reused one of those chips and only changed the software. No wonder why the menu lags and the emulation is so bad.
Not worth getting for the price IMO.
Maybe in the future they'll make a clone using the same hardware as the original.
...huh. Well I might as well trash the mobo

sharkie545

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
...huh. Well I might as well trash the mobo

Dont throw it out yet. from what i was reading there is a software (from sellers) for it to update it to 720p, and they are able to add more games, remove stupid splash screen.
They havent released software yet though.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Dont throw it out yet. from what i was reading there is a software (from sellers) for it to update it to 720p, and they are able to add more games, remove stupid splash screen.
They havent released software yet though.
I doubt it. It may be possible the got the attention of more competent programmers, but I really don't think the hardware can even support it. Googling "mp4 player nes emulator" brings up results that list a screen resolution of 240p. If it uses the same chip it's not going to suddenly be able to handle 720p, no matter what fancy software it runs.

Also, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me four times, you already fooled me, and you can't fool me again.

elBenyo

Wad of meat.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good God, that thing looks Chinese as all fucking hell. Good thing they are blatant about it being a clone so no one is going to get ripped off, hopefully.

Megadaeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Sri Lanka
I doubt it. It may be possible the got the attention of more competent programmers, but I really don't think the hardware can even support it. Googling "mp4 player nes emulator" brings up results that list a screen resolution of 240p. If it uses the same chip it's not going to suddenly be able to handle 720p, no matter what fancy software it runs.

Also, fool me once, shame on you. Fool me four times, you already fooled me, and you can't fool me again.

Can you link the article that says its 240p, i try to search for it but cant find it, the only thing i can find is a specs for just that particle of device and screen, nothing that the chip its not able to display any higher resolution.

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
All I did was google for mp4 players with built in nes emulators. The ones that did list specs said that they have a screen resolution of 240p - and maximum .mp4 resolution of 480p. While it's possible that the chip can support higher resolutions then the display used, 720p is highly unlikely. At most there may be an upscaled chip converting it to a hdmi supported resolution, but nothing that can make it look much better than it does now.

Reactions: elBenyo

Futurdreamz

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
UPDATE: IT HAS ARRIVED -TWO MONTHS EARLY
IMG_20170724_1636078[1468].jpg

I just got home so i haven't opened it yet, but I'll be taking pictures of whatever you ask for. If you have ideas for what to check out (ie, what happens when i plug it into a computer) then go ahead and give me a shout. This if my PC if that's of any importance. i don't have linux on it.

Reactions: UoyKcahi

UoyKcahi

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
UPDATE: IT HAS ARRIVED -TWO MONTHS EARLY
View attachment 93623
I just got home so i haven't opened it yet, but I'll be taking pictures of whatever you ask for. If you have ideas for what to check out (ie, what happens when i plug it into a computer) then go ahead and give me a shout. This if my PC if that's of any importance. i don't have linux on it.

Did you not get a controller with nintendo logo or it is only a extra controller you bought to?
Were did you bought the nes mini clone from?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse