Homebrew Snes9xGX Mod [Preview + WiiUPro + ScreenShot button]

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Out of curiosity, a question i have had for years, aimed at any developer/coder: is there a technical reason why MSU-1 isn't supported by any of the SNES homebrew emulators on consoles? Is it feasible? (on the Wii, for example).

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, a question i have had for years, aimed at any developer/coder: is there a technical reason why MSU-1 isn't supported by any of the SNES homebrew emulators on consoles? Is it feasible? (on the Wii, for example).

It requires a port of Bsnes, which has much higher system requirements and the Wii simply doesn't have the power to run a port. If someone ported over Bsnes to the Wii U, it would be more feasible.

marmalade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can the GUI sounds have an option to turn them on, if you dont mind the slight frames hit?

it would be useful if there was a FPS counter too that could be added to the gx emulators so we can tell how different things affect frame rate

thank you very much for the update!

Zopenko

Link He come to town Come to save the Princess Z
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
*Asknot -> Askot
Sorry :blush:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Updated/modernized readme with changelog and all the details, mr. @Zopenko.

Bugs present:
- Settings are not being saved after exiting the emulator.

Thanks for this nice release!

I was trying to have a unique settings file per each emu version.

If somebody recalls on previous comments (i think on the nes emu) changing between version caused the setting file to be messed up.

If that is the only bug than i will revert the change and post this update.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

can the GUI sounds have an option to turn them on, if you dont mind the slight frames hit?

it would be useful if there was a FPS counter too that could be added to the gx emulators so we can tell how different things affect frame rate

thank you very much for the update!
The FPS is added in this beta

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
It requires a port of Bsnes, which has much higher system requirements and the Wii simply doesn't have the power to run a port. If someone ported over Bsnes to the Wii U, it would be more feasible.
Dude, i know about BSNES, and obviously it won't run on a Wii, we even chatted about the subject in pages 5 / 10. I am not talking about a BSNES port, i am talking exclusively about MSU-1 emulation, which is a physical expansion chip (created by byuu) not tied exclusively to BSNES emulator. It is present on the SD2SNES flash cart, for example. Sorry but again, the question is specifically aimed at coders/developers with experience and technical know-how.

I was trying to have a unique settings file per each emu version.
If somebody recalls on previous comments (i think on the nes emu) changing between version caused the setting file to be messed up.
If that is the only bug than i will revert the change and post this update.
Yeah, i remember that bug, though in that case it worked fine after re-configuring and exiting, right now it is not saving the settings.

By the way, any chance for an extra folder to be added to Menu Options (for covers) and a simple option/switch to change between screenshots and covers? Maybe not now, but in the future.

Last edited by niuus,
Reactions: sindrik

Mr. Benjamin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone explain how snes9xgx detects gamepads? Is there a config file somewhere I can edit to get my controller to work? This is not your typical "my controller won't work" gripe, let me explain.

I have two TTX Tech SNES gamepads for the wii. They work for VC games fine, but the snes emulator (as well as nes and vgba emulators) has some strange behavior. At first glance it appears to have working buttons, but a nonfunctional D-pad. Here's the thing, I can get one controller to work if I plug an official classic controller pro into the second wii controller. For some reason, the addition of the classic controller pro changes the control profile for the snes control and it begins to function normally. Sadly, this is a very specific workaround and will not help me to get both of my snes controls working at once.

Is there a file that has controller profiles that i could edit (start deleting or moving profiles) that could help make the emulator select the correct profile right away without having to plug in the second control?

This is my first post on GBAtemp so forgive me if i made any rookie mistakes.

Am I on the wrong thread? It looks like we have some very knowledgeable people here. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Zopenko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
By the way, any chance for an extra folder to be added to Menu Options (for covers) and a simple option/switch to change between screenshots and covers? Maybe not now, but in the future.

Hi niuus

I was just thinking of this feature :D

But i will call it Artwork folder, so if someone wants to show the game logo, custom or official artwork or covers, they can do it without losing the actual game screenshoots

I'll look into it

Thank everybody for the ideas and testing

Reactions: niuus

Zopenko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Am I on the wrong thread? It looks like we have some very knowledgeable people here. Can anyone help me with this issue?
Hi benjamin

I did had one of those controllers, i do remember some problems with the wii emus, i thought the controller was defective and never tried it with official VC titles.

Currently there is not a controller profile select option and i do not have plans for looking into this issue with this specific controller.

marmalade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a suggestion

in the background for screenshots, if there is no screenshot, theres a picture of the north american version of the nintendo console

could this be customized, so it can show the japanese console, or just a blank image?

Zopenko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I have a suggestion

in the background for screenshots, if there is no screenshot, theres a picture of the north american version of the nintendo console

could this be customized, so it can show the japanese console, or just a blank image?
ok will look into it with the additional artwork folder

Reactions: marmalade

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
I totally forgot about the screenshots feature.
How would one add, let's say, the cover art for each game to be shown up there?
IIRC this is also in FCEUGX right?

Can't wait for the 4.3.6 update with the settings fix. :D

Reactions: the_randomizer

Mr. Benjamin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi benjamin

I did had one of those controllers, i do remember some problems with the wii emus, i thought the controller was defective and never tried it with official VC titles.

Currently there is not a controller profile select option and i do not have plans for looking into this issue with this specific controller.

Ok, I can respect that answer. I wasn't asking for anyone to fix it for me, but for some directions to help me fix it myself. In what files are the controller profiles kept in snes9xgx? The correct profile is there somewhere, it just isn't defaulting to it when i start the program. It clearly switches to that profile when i plug in a classic controller pro. If you can point me in the direction of where the controller profiles are, I'll find the solution myself. Thanks

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Hi niuus

I was just thinking of this feature :D

But i will call it Artwork folder, so if someone wants to show the game logo, custom or official artwork or covers, they can do it without losing the actual game screenshoots

I'll look into it

Thank everybody for the ideas and testing
Perfect!

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
What I can do is test the previous build, make a config file, then update to the recent beta and try it that way to see how it runs?
Edit: Sorry for the weird edit, wrong reply to the thread, long day, fixed XD
That could be a possible fix. AFAIK, the new one is stored in the snes9xgx folder @ root, with a number attached. You could try renaming the old one to the provisional new naming to see if it uses the previous settings.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Zopenko I noticed a major or noticeable audio bug that the Snes9x 4.3.6 mod has. As some may know there was a the infamous "tinny audio bug" whenever you opened and closed the menu. However, in this version, the issue is always persistent and sounds as though the frequency is something other than 32 kHz, but sounds like 22 kHz and my ears are picking it up. To simulate what I'm hearing, I isolated two samples, 32 kHz and 22 kHz. The issue is believed to use tied to the LiboGC library and Tantric/Dborth himself could never neutralize the bug for reasons unknown.

https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/issues/464
https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/issues/507
https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/issues/142

This could never be resolved, but the issue seems to be persistent 100% of the time in this new version, I hope it can be resolved or at least maybe looked into, I don't know.

32 kHz version, this is what Snes9xGx 3.3.4 sounds like when you run a game, but after you open and close the menu
https://filetrip.net/view?8rPl0QfoAQ

22 kHz version, this is what Snes9xGx 3.3.6 sounds like no matter how many times I open and close the menu.
https://filetrip.net/view?dqVkJkiCJK

Maybe it's my sensitive ears being too sensitive, I don't know. Either way, it's noticeable.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

Zopenko

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Zopenko I noticed a major or noticeable audio bug that the Snes9x 4.3.6 mod has. As some may know there was a the infamous "tinny audio bug" whenever you opened and closed the menu. However, in this version, the issue is always persistent and sounds as though the frequency is something other than 32 kHz, but sounds like 22 kHz and my ears are picking it up. To simulate what I'm hearing, I isolated two samples, 32 kHz and 22 kHz. The issue is believed to use tied to the LiboGC library and Tantric/Dborth himself could never neutralize the bug for reasons unknown.

https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/issues/464
https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/issues/507
https://github.com/dborth/snes9xgx/issues/142

This could never be resolved, but the issue seems to be persistent 100% of the time in this new version, I hope it can be resolved or at least maybe looked into, I don't know.

32 kHz version, this is what Snes9xGx 3.3.4 sounds like when you run a game, but after you open and close the menu
https://filetrip.net/view?8rPl0QfoAQ

22 kHz version, this is what Snes9xGx 3.3.6 sounds like no matter how many times I open and close the menu.
https://filetrip.net/view?dqVkJkiCJK

Maybe it's my sensitive ears being too sensitive, I don't know. Either way, it's noticeable.
Hi randomizer

The new 4.3.6 beta is based on the 4.3.5 mod version by Askot published on his github page

The only major change i remember (4.3.4 vs 4.3.6) is the update for the wiiflow plugin

I dont know if that is related but its a start, we could start from 4.3.4 and add the features that do not cause this audio glitch

Thank you for your testing

Ok, I can respect that answer. I wasn't asking for anyone to fix it for me, but for some directions to help me fix it myself. In what files are the controller profiles kept in snes9xgx? The correct profile is there somewhere, it just isn't defaulting to it when i start the program. It clearly switches to that profile when i plug in a classic controller pro. If you can point me in the direction of where the controller profiles are, I'll find the solution myself. Thanks

Mr Benjamin

You can look at the PAD_ and WPAD_ functions

Also i remember there's an INPUT file where these funtions are defined

Thank you for looking at this issue

Last edited by Zopenko,

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 4.3.6 beta is based on the version by Askot published on this mod from the github page
The only major change he did was the update for the wiiflow plugin
I dont know if that is related but its a start
Thank you for youre testing

It may have to do with the removal of the music and sound effects, to my knowledge, the menu uses 48 kHz while the games/emulator uses 32 kHz, I don't know why it would have an impact, but something with the sound and how it was compiled has to do with the sound. The previous build from Askot didn't have this problem, however it never goes away with this. I hate to report this bug, because it feels like I'm nitpicking and showing ingratitude, that's not my intent, I just hope it can be looked into. But I know it's related to the audio.

So nothing can be done and looked into? I have no way of capturing the audio directly, I can only simulate the difference with audio frequencies and the tinny audio glitch.

The change here "Removed sound from GUI to get better performance/FPS on games like Yoshi's Island and Kirby Dream Land 3 (@Askot )" I believe is the culprit, because I definitely notice the tinny audio. I need
more people to test this, the Konami sound is way off and should sound clear, not raspy *sigh*

I'm sorry for bringing it up, I never should have. :(

My tests were in vain.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: You can make a post on the DS forum about your findings, and they'll do their best to respond...