Homebrew Snes9xGX Mod [Preview + WiiUPro + ScreenShot button]

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Okey, Mr. @Zopenko. My results:

- Beta 1/2/3 will generate a settings.xml file in their respective App folder, but none of the Beta versions load them. It must be something in the new folder saving code?

A curious trick:
- Load any of the previously working builds. I am currently using the last Askot mod, which was numbered 4.3.6.
- Change the settings to your liking. Exit the emulator.
- Load one of the new Betas. I used 4.3.6 Beta 3 for this example.
- Settings will load correctly. However, if you exit the emulator and load it again, settings will be lost again, even if you change nothing.

It seems it is still momentarily reading the xml file from sd:/snes9xgx and ignoring the xml in the app folder.

For the moment, maybe you could revert the folder saving feature, re-add the features planned for the Beta and make a solid 4.3.6 build. I guess 4.3.7 could be the one for nailing the save bug, add the artwork folder, 1 frame lag fix, etc., in separate Betas, even.

As always, thanks for your work =D

Last edited by niuus,
Reactions: Zopenko

Zopenko

Link He come to town Come to save the Princess Z
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Thank you @niuus

Settings bug was caused because i was naming the the APPVERSION different that expected,
it's programmed to read "X.X.X" however since i was adding the "b1" or "b2" i was throwing the "versioning" system off
anyway...
here's the 4.3.6 beta 4 (internally known just as 4.3.6)
also added the "unique" settings name so it will create a new file and we will be able to have 2 versions each with it own settings file

next step artwork folder

Last edited by Zopenko,

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thank you @niuus

Settings bug was caused because i was naming the the APPVERSION different that expected,
it's programmed to read "X.X.X" however since i was adding the "b1" or "b2" i was throwing the "versioning" system off
anyway...
here's the 4.3.6 beta 4 (internally known just as 4.3.6)
also added the "unique" settings name so it will create a new file and we will be able to have 2 versions each with it own settings file

next step artwork folder

Genius, working beautifully.

Last edited by niuus,
Reactions: the_randomizer

BITBURGER

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hi so here's the betas for 436 in order to find the settings save file errors

beta 1 - Updated credits window and Enabled Turbo Mode on right stick
beta 2 - Updated the Power Off exit options and Disabled the Screenshot "Succesful Save" message
beta 3 - Added the delete save file option and Changed the box colors
Hey best @Zopenko may i suggest there is an little bug found in Beta3
when you will change the screenscot dir into snes9xgx/cover/2d
by the next start of the emulator it's the same when you the first time starts yore emulator
in the standard library (Dir) snes9xgx/screenshots i'll know this is a beta but maybe you can fix this the next time by the newe beta or better
your finale release

Regards
Arnachy69

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll take your word and install it along with a Star Fox test :P
I will abuse that Overclock setting because I can't stand the original clock speed which I find choppy as hell.

That and the savings work very well, haven't tried the overclock, back when the game was out in 1993, the framerate was acceptable, but yeah 10-15 nowadays is a bit slow XD :P

sindrik

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll take your word and install it along with a Star Fox test :P
I will abuse that Overclock setting because I can't stand the original clock speed which I find choppy as hell.

overclocking tests:
- Dirt Track FX: runs a bit faster and smooth. 40 OC is enough, more than that exhibits many glitches.
- DOOM: Frame skips too much with any OC setting.
- Star Fox / Star Fox 2 / Star Fox Weekend: everything runs much faster, a bit more difficult to play correctly. (40-50-60 OC)
- Stunt Race FX: runs faster and smooth. 40 OC is enough, more than that exhibits glitches.
- Super Mario World 2 does run very nice and smooth in the previously intense scenes like the waterfalls in the 1-1 world, using 40 OC you begin to see the difference.
- Vortex: a little bit smoother, doesn't run faster like Star Fox.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

marmalade

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there might be a problem with the superfx overclock settings

when playing stunt race fx (US version) on "default" superfx overclock settings, theres glitches on the menu for choosing novice or expert class - however, if superfx overlock settings are not default, but either 40 or 60, this glitching doesnt happen

edit: actually, I tested the game on 4.3.4 and snes9x (on PC) and it does the same thing so nevermind the above

Last edited by marmalade,

comokepa

Trophies
XP
Country
How does game saves (the ones built into each game that has the feature, not saving the emulator state) work? In other emulators that I have tried (not on a Wii) I do not have to do anything special: I just use the game's built-in save feature and, only in that case, the emulator silently stores it into an SRAM file at that very time, which then it loads back, again, silently and without user interaction, when I run the emulator again. If the game has no in-game save feature, then the emulator writes/loads no SRAM file at all.

With snes9xgx-mod (Version 4.3.5 from OP) I seem to lose the game's save data unless I manually go to the emulator's menu and save a new SRAM state, and there can be multiple SRAM states that I can store and then manually load one or another. I am not too sure which state the emulator autoloads then when I start the game again. Options' AutoSave seems to autogenerate the SRAM file but only if I go to the emulator's menu (revealed by an "Autosaving SRAM" popup). If instead I save the game and I turn off the console shortly after without going through the emulator's menu first, SRAM is not saved.

Support for multiple SRAM files which are written/read only when the user says so is… versatile, I guess, for some people, but more complex and hands-on than what I would prefer. Is this behavior intended? Is there a way/option to have the emulator manage one single SRAM which it silently writes whenever the game does, without having to manually manage/save/load it from the emulator's menu or postponing saving until I go to the emulator's menu (and with no popup, ideally)?

(I did read the whole thread and saw other people asked similar questions, but I did not see an answer that particularly described the behavior in detail).

Last edited by comokepa,

comokepa

Trophies
XP
Country
Does this emulator support rom autopatching if a patch file is placed somewhere in the HDD? If so, what patch formats (I have seen patch files with bdf, ups, ips and asm extensions) and where should I place the patch files?

Zopenko

Link He come to town Come to save the Princess Z
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi @comokepa

1) Emulator does support auto saving and loading of SRAM
- On the settings options, under the saving and loading menu
- At the end of the list it's the "Auto Load" and "Auto Save" options
- Set both to "SRAM"
- I've just tested it with SimCity, the SRAM file and was properly loaded when exiting and reentering the rom file

2) It does support auto patching from ips files, but i would recommend to patching it using your pc

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hi

here's beta no. 5
i've added the option to switch between screenshot, cover and artwork folders
set it from the "settings menu", under the "Preview Image" option

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi @comokepa

- Set both to "SRAM"
- I've just tested it with SimCity, the SRAM file and was properly loaded when exiting and reentering the rom file

2) It does support auto patching from ips files, but i would recommend to patching it using your pc

Hi

here's beta no. 5

Nice, gonna try this out tomorrow, I would do it now, but it's getting late, keep it up :P

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Hi @comokepa

- Set both to "SRAM"

Hi

here's beta no. 5
How do we actually set up screenshot or cover art for the GX emus you've been working on?
I looked around but couldn't find clear instructions as to how to do so. :P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-