Homebrew SNES9x for Old 3DS

Arcanine9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Would be cool if you could add a way to put custom borders when playing the games just like how Blargsnes does. Also a genesis emulator would be great, Picodrive in Retroarch has slowdowns on an O3ds. Since you got SNES to run full speed on an O3ds, im sure you could do Genesis even better.

Last edited by Arcanine9,

bubble2k16

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Ah okay, thanks for the work anyways, it's a fantastic emulator!! :).

My pleasure. Glad you liked it. :)

I also vote for Genesis/MegaDrive. I think the TurboGrafx 16 wasn't very well known than the Genesis.

Cos PicoDrive is already running well on an Old 3DS, so I don't feel motivated to port any Genesis emulator. Hey Robz, since you have some programming background, ever thought of porting Picodrive to the EmusFor3DS library?

Is there any sort of potential at getting home menu forwarders into specific SNES games? Similar to how TWLoader does it.

Honestly, that's the final thing needed to pretty much fully implement the SNES library into the o3DS (and have much better compatibility on n3DS). Obviously, it's not a necessity by any means, but I personally love having official-looking icons to boot from.

I guess so... but I think I'd rather have @Asdolo do it. @Asdolo, @Asdolo, keen on helping fellow gbatempers with a forwarder/injector?

Would be cool if you could add a way to put custom borders when playing the games just like how Blargsnes does. Also a genesis emulator would be great, Picodrive in Retroarch has slowdowns on an O3ds. Since you got SNES to run full speed on an O3ds, im sure you could do Genesis even better.

It's been asked before, but I didn't really think it was necessary, so I didn't go about doing it. :)

Arcanine9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Cos PicoDrive is already running well on an Old 3DS, so I don't feel motivated to port any Genesis emulator. Hey Robz, since you have some programming background, ever thought of porting Picodrive to the EmusFor3DS library?

I guess so... but I think I'd rather have @Asdolo do it. @Asdolo, @Asdolo, keen on helping fellow gbatempers with a forwarder/injector?

It's been asked before, but I didn't really think it was necessary, so I didn't go about doing it. :)

Oh ok, I understand! =) Also do you think you could upload the .elf file of Snes9x 1.11? Would be cool if you could release the elf file a long with the cia and etc. with each update, although its not a big deal. Anyways, thanks Bubble! Appreciate it your hard work.

Asdolo

the Hedgehog
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
Argentina

Hell yes! I just have no time right now, but I will continue as soon as I have time. Also, your work here is amazing!

Reactions: Columbo2811

RocketRobz

Stylish TWiLight Hero
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't see you mention me. You didn't tag me. :P
I'd like to port PicoDrive to the EmusFor3DS library, but only if I knew how to do it.

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So is Nintendo lazy, unable to program efficient emulator, or were they just trying to entice people into buying the $250 upgrade? I know this isn't perfect, but I've played SNES emulators on the original DS Lite and they ran games like Castlevania IV fine with minor issues.

Arcanine9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Which is more better, the offical emulator or this? In terms of performance, accuracy and etc.. I got a new 3ds but im not sure which to use.

Clector

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
@Arcanine9 Snes9x for Old 3DS has a better compatibility than the Virtual Console emulator with a lot of games (like games that uses special chips), and of course it also works in Original 3DS models.

Last edited by Clector,

Arcanine9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@Arcanine9 Snes9x for Old 3DS has a better compatibility than the Virtual Console emulator with a lot of games (like games that uses special chips), and of course it also works in Original 3DS models.

Thanks man! I appreciate it. =) Also what about accuracy? Between the official VS, Retroarch and this which one is more closer to the original games? Thanks!

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Thanks man! I appreciate it. :) Also what about accuracy? Between the official VS, Retroarch and this which one is more closer to the original games? Thanks!

this one sacrifices what would be called accuracy for speed and compability.
its really not noticable to any average joe, but big time console nerds might feel like bickering about it.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this one sacrifices what would be called accuracy for speed and compability.
its really not noticable to any average joe, but big time console nerds might feel like bickering about it.
I must not be big time then. :P

Personally, I don't get why people are looking for accurate emulation on a handheld that is already limited hardware-wise. If you want accuracy either buy the console you want to emulate or build a PC with beefy specs and use a 100% cycle accurate emulator.

In terms of hardware limited emulation, I'd rather be able to play games at fullspeed than have it be accurate and take a hit in performance. That's not saying I don't like cycle accurate emulation but I understand what is needed to achieve such things(mainly a powerful CPU). bubble2k16 understood that which is why we have SNES9x and VirtuaNES running games at fullspeed on the O3DS/2DS.

FateForWindows

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must not be big time then. :P

Personally, I don't get why people are looking for accurate emulation on a handheld that is already limited hardware-wise. If you want accuracy either buy the console you want to emulate or build a PC with beefy specs and use a 100% cycle accurate emulator.

In terms of hardware limited emulation, I'd rather be able to play games at fullspeed than have it be accurate and take a hit in performance. That's not saying I don't like cycle accurate emulation but I understand what is needed to achieve such things(mainly a powerful CPU). bubble2k16 understood that which is why we have SNES9x and VirtuaNES running games at fullspeed on the O3DS/2DS.
Greater hardware emulation accuracy does in fact make some games run better and with less bugs that are caused by emulation, especially graphical and sound-related bugs (the former of which are worse with this emulator, latter is mainly caused by issues like the lack of a clean exit, which AdmiralCurtis fixed and sent a PR to have it implemented in the emulator which currently hasn't been merged.

BL4Z3D247

GBAtemp Stoner
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Greater hardware emulation accuracy does in fact make some games run better and with less bugs that are caused by emulation, especially graphical and sound-related bugs (the former of which are worse with this emulator, latter is mainly caused by issues like the lack of a clean exit, which AdmiralCurtis fixed and sent a PR to have it implemented in the emulator which currently hasn't been merged.
I agree, higher accuracy does make for better compatibility and less visual and audio glitches but only when the resources are there to do so. bsnes(higan) is a perfect example of that.

Arcanine9

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No plans for now. :) Probably want to take a break from this. The only other thing that I am thinking of doing is adding the option of switch software rendering in the original Snes9x 1.43. Gives us New 3DS owners an option to play games with more accurate rendering.

Here are some fullscreen screenshots taken from Citra.

Nice linear interpolation:
ct-linear-bmp.78996

Ithinkitsreallyugly nearest neighbor. :rofl2:
ct-nearest-bmp.78997

That would be great if you did add the switch software rendering.

WIngedZero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No plans for now. :) Probably want to take a break from this. The only other thing that I am thinking of doing is adding the option of switch software rendering in the original Snes9x 1.43. Gives us New 3DS owners an option to play games with more accurate rendering.

Here are some fullscreen screenshots taken from Citra.

Nice linear interpolation:
ct-linear-bmp.78996

Ithinkitsreallyugly nearest neighbor. :rofl2:
ct-nearest-bmp.78997

I think switch software rendering would be PERFECT for us New 3DS users, it would be incredible if you could do that. I think your work is already amazing and this will make it 10x better, not even the official SNES VC could touch it. The emu gets to tap more into the potential of the New 3DS. So yea would be a good idea. And by the way thanks a lot for everything! :)

HugaTheFox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my favorite emulator for 3DS. (expect Picodrive for genesis). When full SFX Chip support at full speed on 2DS (may get a N2DS/N3DS so wont be a problem [if I get money]) This will make me party all night.

ArtemisM

Kupo for Kupo Nuts
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is my favorite emulator for 3DS. (expect Picodrive for genesis). When full SFX Chip support at full speed on 2DS (may get a N2DS/N3DS so wont be a problem [if I get money]) This will make me party all night.

Don't expect full-speed Super FX on o3ds

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: sure, it can be hands free