Gaming SNES emulator problem

odyssy

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have installed Snes9xTYL 0.4.2 (3.xx) on my PSP.. problem is, all of the games (in particular, DK Country) run so slowly as to be pretty unplayable. Am I doing something wrong, or is this current state of the emulator? There are a number of different settings in the emulator program, but I have not really messed around with them, as I don't know what they all do..

I have firmware 4.01 m33-2 installed, and I placed the snes9xtyl folder inside PSP/games, if that helps any..

Draak

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Snes emulation is far from being perfect, but you can do some tweaking. Go to the video options and then set the frameskip to 1 or 2. It may help a bit.

themuddaload

Creepin' hardcore.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
2 amny pronz?? hmm, it confuses me that they dont have emulation of snes working good on psp, since snes is far less graphically demanding than n64, which kinda almost works on psp. not to mention the fact that there is a snes emu for ds (that barely works... ='( )

velocity37

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can make Donkey Kong Country run fine.

First off, add speedhacks to your emulator by going to your emulator directory, creating a folder called DATA, and put snesadvance.dat inside of it.

Now, you'll still only get 16fps on the first level, BUT, if you go to Misc>Hack/debug menu and turn on "Ignore palette writes" you'll get a full 60fps at the cost of turning the sky black.

The slowdown only seems to affect certain levels as well, the second level runs ~50fps without ignore palette writes.

Not sure how this fares for the rest of the game, I'll play it for a while though
smile.gif

Beat the first world and all is well. I have homework to do, but things look good
smile.gif

Big Green

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How is it that donkey kond country runs full speed on the ds, and even above full speed, yet it doesn't on the psp.

B

ball2012003

donkey kong runs perfect for me on my psp slim
i have version 5.00 m33-6
no slowdowns or anything

Zieg30CT

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
How is it that donkey kond country runs full speed on the ds, and even above full speed, yet it doesn't on the psp.

because the snes emulator for psp is no longer being worked on as far as i know so it is still far from perfect.

@op
look for some speed hacks or try turning the frameskip up and set your psp to: psp accelerated+accurate to get some better results

SargeSmash

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correct me if I'm wrong, but most (if not all) the SNES emulators for DS do not do transparencies. The emulators for PSP do. It's not really anything to do with the emulator having not been worked on in a while, it's more finding a common point of comparison between the two. If you can kill transparencies, kill palette writes, and enable speed hacks on the PSP, THEN compare, we might get somewhere.

At the very least, I remember back in the day using SNES9x .24, which didn't have transparencies, on my venerable Pentium 166. It ran at 60FPS. Switch to ZSNES, and you get transparencies, but framerates averaged 20FPS or so for many games.

I do wish more work would be done on SNES9XTYL, but the PSP homebrew scene seems like it's been pretty dead for a while now. Not completely, mind you, but improvements in the things I'm interested in seem few and far between.

Interestingly enough, I think the reason palette writes kill performance in the emulators with DKC is that they're doing the writes EVERY FRAME. They're swapping between the two palettes in a bit of technical chicanery to increase the perceived amount of colors onscreen.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Minor point: speedhacks with the DKC series in particular do absolutely nothing. These 3 games already shut down the CPU at the end of each frame, waking back up when there's actual work to be done. They're the only games I've ever seen that do this. Any entries in the snesadvance.dat file for these games are only to get them to boot in SNES Advance and Snezziboy, and they're not actual speedhacks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill