Hacking SNEEK v2

ciris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those that are using SNEEK, hows the performace like? Any lag? Does it feel just as fast as the real system menu?

ShakaHeath

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sneek is slow as hell compared to the "real" NAND but I think the speed will be increased with future releases.
And anyway, isn't it cool enough to have a 32GB NAND?
yaywii.gif

Yossi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FenrirWolf said:
Kovani said:
Is it possible for someone to create a small utility that will rename the bootmii folder that contains sneek files to another folder with the original files so you can switch between them easily by using HBC? This idea is similar to how Categorii works and you'll not have to manually replace files if you want to switch to your real NAND.

For example: You have the files required for sneek in the bootmii folder and the original bootmii files in a folder called, let's say bootmii2. When you run the utility it will rename bootmii2 to bootmii and bootmii to bootmii2.
This already exists. It's called BootMii Switch. If it's not on Wiibrew or elsewhere I'll upload the one from my card.

Edit: Here. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=171094

I should probably point out that BootMiiSwitch (or something like it, I cant remember the name) was the inspiration for categorii and categorii can also do what BootMiiSwitch can do. (but BootMiiSwitch does it with a nicer UI)
Just use this XML file with categorii:
CODE
ÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂBootMiiSwitch done with Categorii
ÂÂÂÂYossi
ÂÂÂÂ2.0
ÂÂÂÂ20100102213432
ÂÂÂÂDo what BootMiiSwitch does
ÂÂÂÂRename bootmii/ to ~bootmii/, and rename ~bootmii/ to bootmii/.
ÂÂ
ÂÂ
ÂÂÂÂbootmii
ÂÂÂÂ~bootmii
ÂÂ
As you can see, there is no requirement for categorii to rename the apps/ folder.

ciris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heathcliff said:
Sneek is slow as hell compared to the "real" NAND but I think the speed will be increased with future releases.
And anyway, isn't it cool enough to have a 32GB NAND?
yaywii.gif

Thanks for the reply Heathcliff!

conanac

Be an Angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Det1re said:
supersonic5000 said:
conanac said:
I have got the same problem, i.e. saying system files are corrupted. I have even tried dumping/extracting NAND two times, used different SD cards, and still got the same issue. My Wii is 4.2, and I have bootmii as boot2.

To all SNEEK gurus -- any insight on this problem, or potential fixes? Many thanks in advance.
This happens to me occasionally, all I do is turn the Wii off and then launch sneek again and it works.
Try reformating your SD card.

Thanks Det1re, I did that already (using FAT32) and then it actually gave the system files are corrupted error after pushing button A on the health screen (i.e. before the system menu shows up).

Is it possible for me to help debugging this (if this is a real instability issue, not because I miss something)? I have USB Gecko (but never trying debugging wiibrew through that), and have created two wiibrew applications myself (Turnip and DiiLC; see wiibrew.org). Nevertheless, please be noted that I have a limited knowledge on the inner working of wii.

Again, thanks in advance to all SNEEK gurus.

Cheers.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I had same issues with correct system files. its a preloader thing im sure. deleting the system menu and reinstalling wad worked

Det1re

det1re.de
OP
Trophies
Website
det1re.de
XP
Country
Gambia, The
conanac said:
Thanks Det1re, I did that already (using FAT32) and then it actually gave the system files are corrupted error after pushing button A on the health screen (i.e. before the system menu shows up).

Is it possible for me to help debugging this (if this is a real instability issue, not because I miss something)? I have USB Gecko (but never trying debugging wiibrew through that), and have created two wiibrew applications myself (Turnip and DiiLC; see wiibrew.org). Nevertheless, please be noted that I have a limited knowledge on the inner working of wii.

Again, thanks in advance to all SNEEK gurus.

Cheers.

If you are running on a windows platform you could use GeckoReader to read the debug output from SNEEK. However it might be a pain to use GeckoReader, as it doesn't automatically save a log. You might need to use the > char to pipe it's output to a file.
You could also ask crediar for his GeckoCli, that automatically creates a log-file while reading from USB Gecko.

daxtsu

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
PuTTY for Windows will read Gecko output just fine as well, just be sure to choose "implicit CR LF" under Terminal options so you get the correct line endings.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wilsoff said:
giantpune said:
we still dont know exactly how the HBC scam is triggered
Thanks! The scam screen is triggered by consoleID.

If you use ShowMiiWads to pack a WAD of JODI from an extracted BootMii dump it will change the ticket from "TheMostAwesomest" to "GottaGetSomeBeer" (0x1BF). I don't know why exactly.

If you then install this WAD using ShowMiiWads you end up with the "Beer" ticket on the NAND. I think this may also trigger the scam screen. I need to test this some more and I'm not near a Wii.

If I use BFGR wad packer with the two app files, the tmd, the tik, and cert.sys it does not change the ticket to "Beer". If I install that WAD using ShowMiiWads I end up with the "Awesomest" ticket on the NAND.

As I said I still have to test this some more to see if the HBC loads correctly with no scam screen using the BFGR packed WAD.

Maybe someone else knows more about this...?

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wilsoff said:
Here's a way to install HBC natively on the SNEEK NAND:
1. Delete HBC completely from your Sneek Nand (or never have it installed)
2. Install this wad to your sneek nand (using showmiiwads): HBC Installer - HBCI.wad
3. It will load, in this order: usb:/boot.elf, usb:/apps/hackmii_installer_v0.6/boot.elf, sd:/boot.elf, sd:/apps/hackmii_installer_v0.6/boot.elf
4. Now HBC should install to your Sneek nand through the normal installer.

This did not work for me. I tried it on a "clean" 3.2U NAND with IOS35 and IOS61 installed, boot.elf on usb:/ and usb:/apps/hackmii_installer_v0.6/

I also tried it on officially updated 4.2U with all related IOSes installed. All resulted in black screen and Wiimote unsynched.

grati

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope someone can help me with this. I read crediar and wilsoff's FAQ to fix the black screen after trying to start sneek and none of the solutions worked. I am using a Kingston 2gb micro SD card with the SD adapter. I have LU65 Wii on 4.1U. I tried a bootmii nand dump and a FS Dumper nand dump and extracted both with Showmiiwads and nanddumper. I'm sure i followed ever guide to the T and still it doesn't work. any insight would be much appreciated.

MickeyBlue

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello, I have a full nand 3.2E with my chains and I added over a nand 4.2E files with titles and ticket empty, I add on top of my nand 3.2E, "Sneek boot fine," and I add the file ShowMiiWads with IOS53v4113.wad IOS55v5149.wad IOS56v5405.wad download with NUS Downloader useful for last WiiWare games, but some games do not start this, ex: Swords and Soldiers, can you tell me if this game should operate correctly under Sneek? I also wanted to know if we could download all the latest IOS with NUS Downloader and other files useful to form a sort of nand and install complete with ShowMiiWads my Nand to rotate the WiiWare games that did not work not, is to avoid unnecessarily throw myself, Or should I wait for version 3 of Sneek? ?thank you in advance.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wilsoff said:
giantpune said:
we still dont know exactly how the HBC scam is triggered
Thanks! The scam screen is triggered by consoleID.

At least in part.

It appears that each HBC installation is tied to the console it was installed to by modifying an area of the TMD - two bytes at 0x1B0 and 8 bytes at 0x1C6 in the samples I looked at (probably just the 8 bytes are significant?). It's my guess that those bytes are the result of some alogorithmic function applied to the console ID. Knowing Team Twiizer's propensity for obfuscation I doubt it would be something simple that anyone could figure out.

Obviously this is not about figuring out how TT protects the HBC from being distributed as a wad, it is about getting SNEEK running using only minimum data from an actual NAND.

So in theory if you know the console ID of the Wii that the TMD is from you could modify the device.cert and make sure it is in /sys/

OR

If you knew the logic for modifying the TMD you could just do that and not worry about device.cert.

Either way, the bottom line is that you will need some data from a NAND with a properly installed HBC in order to get HBC running without the scam warning. The data in the TMD must (somehow) match the console ID.

jsugarsmacks

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@MickeyBlue

Swords and Soldiers works fine. It is a bit slow loading but gameplay is smooth. It uses IOS53 and I am using a 3.2U nand dump.

fogbank

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MickeyBlue said:
So if I download all the latest IOS with NUS Downloader and I installed them with ShowMiiWads, games like Swords and Soldiers will work?

Why not do an "official" update on the SNEEK NAND? That will install every IOS and the latest version of all channels. It is probably the best way to insure compatibility.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: It's how we used to cheat at Pokewalker. +1