Hacking SMG Update

bestperson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a wasabi modchip in my wii. Before I got the modchip I bought SMG and I updated when I put the disc in and it asked for an update. I played the game all the way through and beat it. I then got the modchip and gave the game to my friend to play and I got a backed up copy of SMG. Now when I put this backed up copy in it says it wants to update again. I'm running 3.2U and I tried running the back up through GeckoOs and it acts like it is loading up but then just freezes at a black screen. What should I do? Should I patch the image with brick blocker and regionfrii?

bestperson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the nfo claims it is NTSC-U, which is what my wii is, but how can I verify this? Why does it want me to update again anyway if I already did the update with the official disc?

Condukt365

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bestperson said:
the nfo claims it is NTSC-U, which is what my wii is, but how can I verify this? Why does it want me to update again anyway if I already did the update with the official disc?
So you're saying you downloaded an ISO off the internet? For shame.

But all shame aside you can use RegionFrii or another program that can change a disc's region code to verify it.

Volkov

Trophies
XP
Country
bestperson said:
the nfo claims it is NTSC-U, which is what my wii is, but how can I verify this

Two ways:

1) Use WUM to open the ISO and check what region the disc is...

2) Use WiiBrowser to extract to extract a file named boot.bin from the game partition (not the update partition) from the disc. Open this in a hex editor and look at the start. The forth byte (or 0x003) will be your country code.
P/Z = PAL
E = NTSC-U
J = NTSC-J

bestperson

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the help. I'll try this out tonight.

does anybody have any idea why geckoOS froze up on me? Could I have done something wrong, or does GeckoOS not work with every game?

Is it weird that it even wants to update? Shouldn't the update already be there from when I played the original game?

SenorClean

Trophies
XP
Country
bestperson said:
thanks for the help. I'll try this out tonight.

does anybody have any idea why geckoOS froze up on me? Could I have done something wrong, or does GeckoOS not work with every game?

Is it weird that it even wants to update? Shouldn't the update already be there from when I played the original game?

Yes - 3.2 is much newer than SMG is...

It's more likely that it's wanting to update news/weather channels. So it's either from another region - doesn't see any news/weather from that region and wants to install them.... or maybe you have removed the ones from your own region.

I wouldn't stress about it personally - updates off discs which are older than the menu you're already running will just give you dupe channels.

With regards to gecko OS - could have been a bad burn.... could be a video mode incompatibility. Cross-region games don't always work - SMG NTSC-U works fine in my PAL wii though (in 480p).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Her boob is the cause of all this current shit :angry: