Smash Wii U - editing certain DDS files?

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by PKBeam, May 8, 2016.

1. PKBeam
    OP

PKBeam Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 27, 2015
    I extracted CSS textures and I used texconv2 to convert from GTX to DDS. However, I'm having problems editing them.

I tried paint.net, GIMP with DDS plugin, Photoshop with (NVIDIA) DDS plugin but none of them could open the files (at best, Photoshop gave me a black image in the correct size).

The only thing that could even display the DDS was NVIDIA's Windows Texture Viewer, although the colour was wrong for anything that wasn't black & white. WTV displayed the format as "32 bit X8R8G8B8".

Attached is an example. Does anyone know if I did something wrong extracting the textures?

Attached Files:

2. LoganK93

LoganK93 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    Bumping this as I just ran into the exact same issue. I get a cyan Pikachu portrait with WTV but photoshop loads me a nearly all black garbage file, even though I just extracted and edited another texture just fine.

Edit: Other people seem to have gotten them working. They are an XRGB file. I tried saving my own but it results in the alpha channel (the strange fuscia color) covering the entire image, followed by my image in the proper color with a garbage data background instead of where there should be transparency...

Last edited by LoganK93, May 30, 2016
  3. SmashSplatMaker

SmashSplatMaker Member

Newcomer
    May 19, 2016
    Canada
    Just follow what Logan said above.

Last edited by SmashSplatMaker, May 30, 2016
  4. LoganK93

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    Well I'm not 100% sure it works that way. It got close but the game promptly freezes at the css with my modded files. I added an extra character slot using someone else's files which did work correctly. It seems they had just used the stock icons from vanilla smash renamed, as the one I made had some oddities. The alpha layer seemed to cover the entire image. If you removed it you would see my custom stock image on top of a layer of corrupted looking textures. Wtv reads it as the same file type but something seems to get messed up somewhere. I will be restarting my process from scratch later today and will update if I make better progress.

5. PlasmoidThunder

PlasmoidThunder Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2016
    You'll need to convert them to .png using DDS2PNG.bat, which is bundled with the InjectPack. In order for DDS2PNG to work, you'll need to install at least the command line function of AMD Compress and change the program folder from 'AMD Compress' to 'AMDCompress'. You can then open the .png in Photoshop or Paint.NET, do whatever you want to it and then save as .dds (Photoshop will need a plugin) using the correct format.

6. Blazingflare

Blazingflare GBAtemp Fan

Mar 3, 2013
    United States
    Are the output files for DDS2PNG the same as the PNGs uploaded to the Spriter's Resource?
    http://www.spriters-resource.com/wii_u/supersmashbrosforwiiu/sheet/65129/
    http://www.spriters-resource.com/wii_u/supersmashbrosforwiiu/sheet/65144/
    If they are, then it would probably make a lot of people's lives easier.

7. PlasmoidThunder

PlasmoidThunder Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2016
    They're a different colour, but they are indeed fundamentally the same; in the end, it's what format the .dds file at the end of the process is.

8. LoganK93

Dec 5, 2012
    United States
    Hmm... think the Nvidia dds plug in is fine? I had to completely rebuild my update because the extra files seemed to freeze the game.

Edit: Didn't see the other post. Will give dds2png a try.

Last edited by LoganK93, May 31, 2016