Slightly Mad Studios chooses final design for its Mad Box console

slightly mad.PNG

After teasing a couple of possible designs for their upcoming Mad Box console, Slightly Mad Studios' CEO Ian Bell revealed via Twitter the design that the company has opted for. If you were following the recent flow of design concepts shared, then you will recognize it as the fourth render, the futuristic-looking rectangular shaped one that supports three orientations: horizontal, vertical and wall mounted. It also features a front touch screen that supports slide, click and tap actions while displaying what is currently being played. Ian Bell further adds that the design "might be slightly amended over time...".

The company's founder later posted another tweet with a concept video teasing the console running games and other media:

Do you approve of the console's design? What would you like to see changed or improved in the final look?

:arrow: SOURCE

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually kind of dig it, it's like a Shield TV with more edginess. Definitely better than that McDonald's arches behemoth that they showed before. The touchscreen display on the front is a nice extra too. Unfortunately there's no way this will be reasonably priced.
At least you seem to be slightly glad.

Anyway, not sure why people are bother by the touchscreen. Doubt it will cost much and you can get info without even turning on the TV.

Also, just because I have a remote, doesn't mean I don't want buttons on my TV.

Reactions: Xzi

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
read his comments he practically spills the beans that is if he didn't delete it :P
Weird.
I understand why generic boxes would want to run Android, it gives you access to an existing library of games and apps from the get-go, but if they're developing their own games, and will be releasing their own devkit, why not go with an OS that doesn't suck instead?

Clapmaster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought it looked bad until I watched the clip. The front display that shows what your currently doing looks really nice and I like the rgb lighting.

Silent_Gunner

Crazy Cool Cyclops
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What it looks like is relatively inconsequential when it comes to entering the console wars... if aesthetics really mattered that much Microsoft would've failed with their first entry into the console market, having 3 competitors with far better looking systems.

Yeah, but believe me, in addition to all of the "Xbox is all about TV now, there's games, but you don't own them, and we have to check on you every 24 hours to make sure you aren't doing anything bad, otherwise, your system goes dark until you reconnect to the Internet. Oh, and it looks like a really large, modernized VCR," the PS4, seeing the heat the WindowsBox One was getting, DESTROYED them with a system that was everything the competition wasn't with a system that was SLIMMER, SLEEKER, and more CONSUMER-FRIENDLY!

While I'm not sure I'd want to do a PC build inside a PS4 case, it certainly does have one of my favorite designs, especially the Slim model. IDK why Sony thought that the PS4 Pro was necessary. They may as well be holding up a sign and putting out a PR statement that says they support 4K, because there's not that many games that even make it to 1080p on any model of the system (Yakuza 6, Kiwami 2, and Judgement/Judge Eyes, I'm looking at you) The Xbox One X, while impressive, is held back by a system who's only real good exclusive is a fighting game one can get on Steam. Crackdown 3 isn't out yet as far as I'm aware, and Halo 5 is just...Halo 5. It almost feels like they're making exclusives out of obligation at this point and would rather focus on services, hence why I like to call the Xbox One the WindowsBox One, especially with the X model; it has the power of a PC, setting sliders like a PC game (at least, I'd hope so), it's just that it's using a proprietary chip to make these settings work. If you already have a PC, it doesn't bring anything to the table that a PC doesn't do already.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the design of a front screen that changes according to what you are doing on the console. I would like them to add a clock. My biggest gripe again is that this console is going for the high end and we simply don't need another console at that end of the gaming spectrum. I'd rather see another ARM/Android console (ensuring more games between this console and Switch because of ARM coding) or a entry level PC like the Ataribox.
4 me high end gaming console is where it matters, I would never buy a ARM android like hardware based console as home console, only 4 portable like Switch...

If they could sell the console around the price as M$\Sony and if they get all the multiplatform games and with better visual quality and if they let us play online without a subscription it would be a total buyout 4 me and I bet 4 a lot more ppl...

4 me XbLive gold and PS Plus can go DIE in a Galaxy Far, Far Away!!!!
......the PS4, seeing the heat the WindowsBox One was getting, DESTROYED them with a system that was everything the competition wasn't with a system that was SLIMMER, SLEEKER, and more CONSUMER-FRIENDLY!

While I'm not sure I'd want to do a PC build inside a PS4 case, it certainly does have one of my favorite designs, especially the Slim model. IDK why Sony thought that the PS4 Pro was necessary. They may as well be holding up a sign and putting out a PR statement that says they support 4K, because there's not that many games that even make it to 1080p on any model of the system......
I hate PS4 design and specially PRO design jeez... I can't even barely fit a USB with their stupid design, In fact I never even know wheres the stupid buttons, I have it facing the wall and the back facing me, I actually prefer a lot the simpler less stupid design of the Xbox 1 slim and I don't even own or care 4 XB1...

And about PS4, most games are 1080p (there's much more 900p or less games on XB1 than the PS4), but on the PRO all games go from 1080p to beyond.

I agree with you on the Xbox1, it's more like a Windows console and doesn't offer anything special to just a gaming PC with windows as almost all the exclusives are in PC and PC only has better to offer with way more games, better performance, free online, cheaper games....... (Biggest difference is really the price of hardware as you would never make a gaming PC with crap XB1 comparable hardware, you would chose much better, therefore more expensive too).

Last edited by guily6669,

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ouya is a bit different story since is just like any android box...

If they want this to be more powerful than Next Gen consoles and around a good gaming PC from the future, then it means it can only be Ryzen CPU cores with probably some future AMD GPU chip in a SOC.

So it could turn out into another steam console box easier than another Ouya which was just another underpowered android random hardware in the middle of the gazillions out there.

On Android only Nvidia went far from all the others, but even them failed so badly as I own a Nvidia Shield tablet and after they brought just a few old known console games, they stop bringing anything old or new...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Flame @ Flame: dont do it!