[UPDATE] First images for the Mad Box standalone console released

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Ericzander

Ericzander My yellow name hax wore off!

Feb 28, 2014
    United States
    Grand Line
    I expected nothing and I'm still disappointed.

2. Chizko

Chizko GBAtemp Regular

Jan 24, 2015
    Chile
    ???? ??? ???
    Mmmmmmmm......................but no PC games..............

3. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Addict

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    ...Didn't they try this with the AtariBox?

Anyone obsessed with performance will be turned off by either the price or the lack of customization.

4. Seliph

Seliph Professional Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    They must be Slightly Mad if they're gonna go with any of those designs

5. Dark Pulse

Dark Pulse Member

Newcomer
    Feb 8, 2016
    United States
    My my, the Ouya is looking pretty fancy today.

snails1221 likes this.
  6. anhminh

anhminh Pirate since 2010

Sep 30, 2010
    Vietnam
    So they want to make a PS4/Xbone with no exclusive and no Japanese game? With design like these? Good luck.

7. Trash_Bandatcoot

Trash_Bandatcoot Your average GBAtemp fanboy

Jul 14, 2018
    Netherlands
    It looks like a disformed PS4 that tries to turn itself into a Nintendo Switch dock.

8. DayVeeBoi

DayVeeBoi GBAtemp Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    DayVeeBoi is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Aug 17, 2015
    Canada
    Ontario
    I always try to respond to anyone who quotes me, I just think it is polite or if not, it's at least something of interest to me or I wouldn't have posted in the first place. You can see I have a reasonably old account with a fairly low post count. I don't just post willy-nilly to artificially inflate my imaginary internet points.
    I have no comment on the exterior design of this thing (other than that it looks stupid), but I have learned over the last few years or so that my tastes are certainly not representative of the markets I partake in. I think that the main thing holding NUC and other small computers back from the mainstream is just the relative high cost to performance ratio at this point. Small form-factor is becoming quite common in office workstations etc and widespread adoption will drive the price down (it already is, just look at all these little celeron etc desktops you're starting to see in Walmart et al. even though they're slightly more expensive than comparable full-sized turds).

I promise you, in the next 10 years these things are going to be everywhere. They're starting to put socketed discrete GPU's in them (upgradeable), last year AsRock put out a Mini-STX (15cm x 14cm or 5" x 4.5") motherboard with a socketed AM4 (the current amd desktop socket) and an MXM dGPU slot. Last week, they just announced that in February they are releasing a barebones Mini-STX desktop (so everything but RAM, Storage and CPU) for $119 USD. I don't know if people here have been paying attention, but like an $100 Ryzen CPU has enough integrated graphics to make a pretty viable budget gaming rig particularly when you factor in the cost of PC games. I'm totally a console gamer, but the lack of innovation is seriously making me consider jumping ship this generation. From what I hear, even Nintendo is considering it, lmao!

9. hug0-a7x

hug0-a7x GBAtemp Fan

Jan 19, 2013
    Brazil
    Insane

10. Vivisector

Vivisector Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 13, 2019
    United States
    These are all pretty outlandish. I wonder if the final releade will stray from these concepts due to fitting the internals in or productions costs. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about it but I can say for certain it stands out a lot from a black rectangle and a black inclined rectangle.

11. pasc

pasc GBATemps GBA Freak

Sep 9, 2006
    Germany
    Germany
    As always.. the software will decide if this can succeed...

I can't see devs jumping onboard...
    Then again neither am I too impressed by the NSwitch as of yet.

Let's see...

12. XDel

XDel Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex

Jul 25, 2012
    United States
    Another Huxleyian Dystopia