Slightly Mad Studios chooses final design for its Mad Box console

slightly mad.PNG

After teasing a couple of possible designs for their upcoming Mad Box console, Slightly Mad Studios' CEO Ian Bell revealed via Twitter the design that the company has opted for. If you were following the recent flow of design concepts shared, then you will recognize it as the fourth render, the futuristic-looking rectangular shaped one that supports three orientations: horizontal, vertical and wall mounted. It also features a front touch screen that supports slide, click and tap actions while displaying what is currently being played. Ian Bell further adds that the design "might be slightly amended over time...".

The company's founder later posted another tweet with a concept video teasing the console running games and other media:

Do you approve of the console's design? What would you like to see changed or improved in the final look?

:arrow: SOURCE

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I liked that cuby thing the most (which still doesn't mean it was good-lookin').
However I can't care less.
At least I have to admit it's cool to see an icon and the title of the current running app/game on the front (seen in the video on Twitter). Waste of energy but still cool.

Reactions: Kioku

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually like this 4th and chosen design, just think it's too exaggerated, I would prefer a bit more simple, but at least can go under my TV, and the display in front is awesome as it reminds me my old music player in the living room, it should be cool for a multimedia living room, though annoying for gaming.

I'm glad there's a option to turn OFF LEDs
(if they really make it more powerful than Next gen consoles and get all multiplatform games and online play without a subscription I'm sold if the price is really like the others).

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
looks like a cable box to me lol, also no way to read physical media makes it no different from steam boxes,ouya, or even the upcoming ataribox, it will flop big time.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I actually kind of dig it, it's like a Shield TV with more edginess. Definitely better than that McDonald's arches behemoth that they showed before. The touchscreen display on the front is a nice extra too. Unfortunately there's no way this will be reasonably priced.

netovsk

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Looking good, they should get rid of the gloss and go for matte finish.

Since they are mostly known for developing a racing game, they should know many car people are crazy about hairline scratches and buff marks.

I wonder if it means Project Cars will become exclusive towards PS and Xbox (not as if it could run on a Nintendo product).

Microsoft will be fine since they have Forza Motorsport, too bad for sony though.

Anyway, I doubt it will be able to beat Scorpio, Anaconda or even Scarlet when it comes to Price/Power/Features/Services/Library.

Good luck for them anyways, competition is always good for customers.

VitaType

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Oh, they already have a case design, a name and the concept "we make it damn fast and awsome and such". Well, then there is nothing major anymore in between now and the glorious release of this console we totaly will see. Sure. ;)

Last edited by VitaType,

LoganK93

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Correction: they chose the concept design that will inspire the actual final design of the finished console.

If you're familiar with the product design and manufacture process of an average piece of hardware, you'll know it's not just "two steps forward, one step back", it's "two steps forward, one step back, one step sideways, jump to the left, step to the right, pelvic thrust, repeat".
I think we just did the Time Warp...

HelpTheWretched

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I actually kind of like the design, but the wall-mounting or touchscreen displays seem a bit excessive, I have no need for that stuff.

It's the name that I dislike. There's already a "Box" out there.

Bernhard

Psycho
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this looks like another steammachine?:rofl: props on the ugly design(my asus rog laptop of 2010 looks way better..(and those heatsinks look alike ):unsure:

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I love the design of a front screen that changes according to what you are doing on the console. I would like them to add a clock. My biggest gripe again is that this console is going for the high end and we simply don't need another console at that end of the gaming spectrum. I'd rather see another ARM/Android console (ensuring more games between this console and Switch because of ARM coding) or a entry level PC like the Ataribox.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Lulz @Veho