[UPDATE] First images for the Mad Box standalone console released

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Prans, Jan 4, 2019.

1. AshuraZro

AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Feb 21, 2004
    Canada
    Saskatchewan
    I don't know how anyone is supposed to take them seriously with these poor designs shown right out the gate. At the end the day, it goes in an entertainment center where subdued design is much more appealing. Go with something straight forward, not fancy lighting bullshit and shapes.

2. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    I actually really like all these designs, what about them makes you guys think you physically can't have it in your house? I'm curious.

3. MikaDubbz

MikaDubbz GBAtemp Fan

Dec 12, 2017
    United States
    This looks like something I'd have wanted a gaming system to look like when I was in middle school. Sure it is unique, but it's also a bit of an eyesore, that thing would look out of place and stand out like a sore thumb among my TV and the other electronics around it.

4. ninjafrog658

ninjafrog658 Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2017
    United States
    I see your point but this console justs looks ugly. You're right about a console's ability to look different and cool at the same time, but this console looks like a giant M, which imo is an aesthetic that simply just doesn't work for a console. Imagine if the Xbone looked like a giant X.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Most of us don't have room under our TV for a giant M.

Jonna likes this.
  5. Memoir

Memoir Just a Memory

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Somewhere, over there!
    If I wanted my PC/console to look like a jukebox, there's better diy options.

Jonna likes this.
  6. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    Oh my god

Can you make me one? This is a damn good idea.

7. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes Gates

GBAtemp Patron
    medoli900 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    I personally like the little cube one, but I don't think it will fare well against the competition. Without masterpiece exclusives, a console is pretty much doomed to fail.

antiNT likes this.
  8. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBATemp's unofficial 蒸気イーブイ

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Aaand the new ones look bad too. The cube is probably the nicest imo but considering it's going to be a PC-like console I can't see that being too small...

Still, why didn't this design posted by the CEO itself gain as much traction as the others?
    It's not as flashy and gamer-y as the other ones but that's kinda the point, plus at the same time it still manages to look sleek and industrial. Being a horizontally oriented design also means it'll fit better on some desks and cramped spaces.

lgnmcrules and medoli900 like this.
  9. medoli900

medoli900 Open the Benzenes Gates

GBAtemp Patron
    medoli900 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2013
    Lavender Town
    That model kind of looks like a closed vinyl player. I kinda like it tbh.

Last edited by medoli900, Jan 8, 2019
    RattletraPM likes this.
  10. RattletraPM

RattletraPM GBATemp's unofficial 蒸気イーブイ

Jan 18, 2017
    Italy
    Spagonia
    Same, honestly, but I might be a bit biased because I generally dislike the overcomplicated "gamer" aesthetic and prefer sleeker designs.

Plus, it would look actually pretty good imo if it they paint the top white:
    (sorry for the rushed photoshopping, I should be studying instead of playing around with concept console designs ^^")
    resized_edit.

H1B1Esquire and antiNT like this.
  11. TheTechWiz25

TheTechWiz25 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 27, 2017
    United States
    I kinda like the last design picture. It seems really cool. The rest though are just odd.

12. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Maniac

Jun 12, 2009
    Aesthetically the rabbit one just looks ugly to me, practically it seems to take up too much unnecessary space and not everyone may have room for it.

Personally, I prefer consoles to be more like the phat PS2 or the PS4 which allows for limited stacking and is practical both vertically and horizontally.

13. DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE Subarashii!

Jun 27, 2017
    United States
    Sacred World of the Kai
    R.I.P. Mad Games

14. TheTechWiz25

TheTechWiz25 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 27, 2017
    United States
    Why RIP them? It hasn't been even a month since it was announced.

15. DRAGONBALLVINTAGE

DRAGONBALLVINTAGE Subarashii!

Jun 27, 2017
    United States
    Sacred World of the Kai
    Rest In Pasta

16. jt_1258

jt_1258 GBAtemps Midna

Aug 21, 2016
    United States
    The Twilight Realm
    tell that to the hardcore custom pc owners that have everything lit up like a rave

17. Andy2001

Andy2001 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    had they snoop dogg designing the shell?
    Shurely looks hellah blazin...

18. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I choose the console that doesn't look like this:
    [​IMG]

The "hedron-cube" really looks like a melted OUYA.

The "hover-bored".....looks like a hoverboard for cats.

The other designs are....meh.

The post by RattletraPM is acceptable to me.

19. Grmmish

Grmmish GBAtemp Regular

Sep 6, 2018
    United States
    Just checked the update... It seems like these guys are talking a whole lot.... Talking and looks....
    Yeeahh.... Nintendo does the walk the walk. These guys are doing a lot of talking about how it looks and I don't see them talking about how it RUNS and WHY it runs the way it does. Which components they will store in it. How much it will cost, etc...
    I think how the thing looks should not be the most important thing here... ESPECIALLY when people don't even believe it will sell well/launch EVER. XD

20. guily6669

guily6669 GbaTemp is my Drug

Jun 3, 2013
    United States
    Doomed Island
    Well at least the 4th design would work here just like my PS4 under the TV, but it looks too extreme, I hope they have a Leds OFF feature.

Even the PS4 controller LEDs piss me off so I put black tape in front as my whole room was getting blue and I play in bed, the whole bed looking like a blue pool is quite annoying.

Anyway they would buy me if it's actually how they are picturing it in terms of price and performance, but only if it has ONLINE without subscription else I save way more buying a way more expensive PC but then I can buy games at half the price and run them all day long, all god gamn year online without paying a bloody subscription + all devices work in it, my Logitech G25, any controller, M\K........

Last edited by guily6669, Jan 8, 2019