Skyline (Android Nintendo Switch emulator) successfully boots first commercial game

skylineemu.png

Skyline, an open-source, experimental and work-in-progress Nintendo Switch emulator that runs on ARMv8 Android devices, has successfully booted its first commercial game.

Using some temporary hacks, the team managed to get Sonic Mania up and running with working on-screen controls, as shown in the screenshot below.

skylinesonicmania.png

Please note that the above mentioned build is currently private and not yet available to the public. The team have stated that once the necessary hacks that were temporarily added in order for the game to boot are correctly implemented into the Skyline emulator, that the build will be publicly available on the projects Github page which is linked below.

:arrow: Skyline Github

samantas5855

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I know. They believe EVERY game is compatible with skyline while in reality, only Sonic Mania is working.
It depends on your definition of working. Mario Odyssey is also working,it doesn't crash but doesn't present anything either. Some games present an upside down splash screen to the frame buffer. Lots of homebrew is working, some with graphics too.

Reactions: MK73DS

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Why is Sonic Mania so easy to run? Is also one of the games that ran on an early PS4 emulator, although with the wrong colours.

TomRiddle

Yare Yare Daze
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Skyline, an open-source, experimental and work-in-progress Nintendo Switch emulator that runs on ARMv8 Android devices, has successfully booted its first commercial game.

Using some temporary hacks, the team managed to get Sonic Mania up and running with working on-screen controls, as shown in the screenshot below.

Please note that the above mentioned build is currently private and not yet available to the public. The team have stated that once the necessary hacks that were temporarily added in order for the game to boot are correctly implemented into the Skyline emulator, that the build will be publicly available on the projects Github page which is linked below.

:arrow: Skyline Github
Oh awesome pog, Sonic Mania running is a step in right direction. Now I wonder how long it'll take to run BOTW Mario odyssey etc, probably a while, but eventually we'll get there

DBKVAG

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Une très bonne avancé , hate de voir ce que l'émulateur aura a nous proposés dans les années suivantes

jornthree

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And would you look at that, you DON'T need a sketchy phone controller to use the switch emulator on a phone. Funny that.

SacredMilkOG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is great. Pretty soon no one will want handhelds anymore, all they need is their phone…
I truly hope not. I'm sick of having an overly cluttered phone full of apps, logins, subscriptions and more out the @nu$... I don't like it at all.

That said- it's cool being able to emulate things and even throw it up on a TV via USB HDMI. RetroArch is awesome in combination with this ^~^ otherwise though.... I love a dedicated handheld. I still prefer playing my PS1 titles on a PSP. And speaking of which- games that I want to play on PPSSPP don't even fully work properly. So having an actual PSP is great- just not so great lacking a way to record clean gameplay on them. (I heard tell of an HDMI+upscaler attachment for the hardware PSP though. It'd be nice to get my hands on one of those eventually.)

Reactions: Plazorn

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)