Skylanders Toy Sales Exceed 30 Million

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never saw the games as appealing. It just seemed like they really ruined Spyro here, he was the boss of platformers right in the PSX era. I mean the game would probably be a much more interesting concept to me if it wasn't Spyro but just seeing him go so far downhill saddens me. I also don't play with action figures or crap anymore so I wouldn't see the point in paying for a ton of them to get them in game. At my current age it seems like a scam but if I was a kid it'd seem awesome.

Reactions: 1 person

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Never saw the games as appealing. It just seemed like they really ruined Spyro here, he was the boss of platformers right in the PSX era. I mean the game would probably be a much more interesting concept to me if it wasn't Spyro but just seeing him go so far downhill saddens me. I also don't play with action figures or crap anymore so I wouldn't see the point in paying for a ton of them to get them in game. At my current age it seems like a scam but if I was a kid it'd seem awesome.

IMO: Spyro is looking more dark and evil :unsure:

not purple and cute in the 90's

0-spyro-pose-1.gif
spyro2.jpg

IDK...I just really hate the new one.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kids seems to go nuts for it, its like with the Moshi Monsters (which sell shitloads more but then they're £2 per bag and you don't see what you get) its a playground craze and to be honest I think it was a very good idea to do this...from a business point of view of course.

No worse than most DLC, at least you have something to show for it.

From the Wii U Rayman Legends trailer it kinda looks like Ubisoft may do something similar, but its easily ignorable, its not like you NEED to buy the additional toys to enjoy the game as there is enough content in there. I don't see Nintendo taking this idea up at all, they could have easily done so with Pokemon.
If it's successful Nintendo MAY do that. Although not in a global scale. I imgaine it as a DLC.

Magsor

I am watching you
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We have no interest in them, not even my 7 or 9 year old. Neighbors have them and they seem pointless.

If you and your kids are not materialists thats your own fault. ;)

SKylanders is a good example to follow for game makers on how they should review their business models. You can pirate skylanders like every other games.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Honestly, Skylanders is an excellent way to deal with DLC. Kids get toys they can play with outside the game, and they get to use them in-game too. And I have to say, the figures are pretty high quality compared to even toy-section action figures. Sure, there's no articulation, but the detail is amazing.

I havn't played the game, but I own a few of the figures just because I like the look of them.

Reactions: 1 person

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Kids seems to go nuts for it, its like with the Moshi Monsters (which sell shitloads more but then they're £2 per bag and you don't see what you get) its a playground craze and to be honest I think it was a very good idea to do this...from a business point of view of course.

No worse than most DLC, at least you have something to show for it.

From the Wii U Rayman Legends trailer it kinda looks like Ubisoft may do something similar, but its easily ignorable, its not like you NEED to buy the additional toys to enjoy the game as there is enough content in there. I don't see Nintendo taking this idea up at all, they could have easily done so with Pokemon.
From what i can tell, the Rayman deal seems a lot like the e-Reader cards for Super Mario Bros 3 on GBA. Bonus levels, free powerups, that sort of thing. It's actually much more viable now because the scanning hardware is built in, and the kids get toy merchandise instead of cards

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have the game on 3DS with two two toys (spyro and bash) funny, but I don't plan buying some more and I hope other companies wont start doing this (no nintendo, not pokemon ,Noooooooooooooo!!!!).

Tired of wasting space on your hard drive with DLC?, how about we waste space in your OWN house? :lol:
Uhm.... too late?

[yt]2Zt8cA_iaIk[/yt]

r6306

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
If you've seen the Rayman trailer you'll see the 'portal' is built into the Wii U tablet so this will be the next big thing from Nintendo. We're all in for plastic figure hell for the next few years and yes that will include Pokemon and Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Toad etc etc. Now if only someone could only work out how to manipulate the RFID system :ninja:...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.