Hacking sky3ds and gateway saves compatible?

lucasferrr

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
guys im using a sky3ds,in a few days ill get a gateway, can i continue to play my games and use the .sav from sky3ds into the gateway? or should i stop playng until i get the gateway since ill have to restart the games (MH4, MK7, tomadochi life)?

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I backed up a save from my retail OoT cartridge using Gateway. I also made a backup of OoT using Gateway. My 3DS is on 4.5 and emunand on 9.2.

Next I flashed my OoT backup to a Sky3DS and restored the backed up save using DiskWriter. When I start the game on a *new* 3DS XL on 9.0 it said the save game is corrupted. How can I get my save to work?

SomecallmeBerto

The Anti-Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I backed up a save from my retail OoT cartridge using Gateway. I also made a backup of OoT using Gateway. My 3DS is on 4.5 and emunand on 9.2.

Next I flashed my OoT backup to a Sky3DS and restored the backed up save using DiskWriter. When I start the game on a *new* 3DS XL on 9.0 it said the save game is corrupted. How can I get my save to work?

Change the extension to .3dz and see if that works

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
duke_srg wrote a perl script that converts the Gateway-dumped save file into a format usable by Sky3DS. I've used it and it works. We really should make it a sticky as the question comes up a lot and this is really the only way to use a retail save on Sky3DS.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/any-way...to-use-with-sky3ds.378750/page-5#post-5359685
Thanks for the tip! I tried it and the perl script created a 1mb .sav file from my 128kb save dump. Is that right? I then rewrote the game and restored the save but still got the corrupted save error.

The EEPROM size in the template is correct CC 22 11. The game id is AQEE (OoT USA). Not sure where it's going wrong.

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You also have to make sure the template.txt file you're using to load games onto Sky3DS has a header that matches your retail cartridge. There are various utilities to do that floating around this forum. Once the header contains your private info it should work (assuming you are providing a new / different name for the output save file ... the original can't be named AQEE.SAV since that's what the output file is named).

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
You also have to make sure the template.txt file you're using to load games onto Sky3DS has a header that matches your retail cartridge. There are various utilities to do that floating around this forum. Once the header contains your private info it should work (assuming you are providing a new / different name for the output save file ... the original can't be named AQEE.SAV since that's what the output file is named).
Yeah I made sure my original save file has a different name than the output. Can you confirm the output save file size of 1mb is normal?

Also, can you please name the utilities you're talking about? Do you mean Sky Army Knife?

And I might have launched the retail cart on a 9.2 console before dumping the save, don't remember exactly. Will that affect anything? I only launched the game, did not play it.

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one I used was called Sky3DS template maker by Falo. I dragged my rom into the box, then copied the private header / ID I got via Gateway ROM Patcher v1.1. I pasted the result into my template.txt file (created a new one just containing my games with private headers) and used that in Sky3DS's diskwriter utility. After this the save file you modified should match. And yes, 1 MB sounds right - all my Sky3DS-compatible saves are that size.

We REALLY need some of this info in a FAQ / sticky somewhere in the Tutorial section or at the top of this forum. It's essential info for Sky3DS users and it currently is only accessible via getting lucky through searching this forum.

Reactions: bowser

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The one I used was called Sky3DS template maker by Falo. I dragged my rom into the box, then copied the private header / ID I got via Gateway ROM Patcher v1.1. I pasted the result into my template.txt file (created a new one just containing my games with private headers) and used that in Sky3DS's diskwriter utility. After this the save file you modified should match. And yes, 1 MB sounds right - all my Sky3DS-compatible saves are that size.

We REALLY need some of this info in a FAQ / sticky somewhere in the Tutorial section or at the top of this forum. It's essential info for Sky3DS users and it currently is only accessible via getting lucky through searching this forum.

No point because no one reads it or does any searching. I've seen multiple topics asking the same question and the original thread gets buried, or people just don't want to read through it to find there answer.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India

After following those steps, I wrote the rom again and restored the save. When I put the Sky3DS in the system, the game showed up fine in the system menu. But right after booting the game I got an error "The game card was removed" and the game stopped showing up after that. I'm able to cycle to other games by pressing the blue button but this particular game doesn't show up anymore no matter how many times I remove and write it again. Any ideas? :wacko:

UsualNoise

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, sorry. I do know if it's the first game in the list you have to wait a few seconds before launching it. If I launch the first game on my Sky3DS within the first 5 seconds or so it gives me the "Game Card was removed" error. If I wait until the blue light goes / more than 5 seconds off it works.

MelonGx

Trophies
XP
Country
China
Compatible:
Pre-Oct-2013 Card1 GW saves (original game cart save 512KB)
All Card1 retail cart saves

Incompatible:
Pre-Oct-2013 Card1 GW saves (original game cart save 128KB)
All Post-Oct-2013 Card1 GW saves

For Card2, I don't know.

CartSave -> SkySave (Card1) Converting Instructions:
1) Dump CartSave
2) Edit Sky3DS game's template to your retail cart's
3) Press Sky3DS's Blue/Red button to make the game which you want to export the save UNLAUNCHED
4) Export SkySave
5) Open both CartSave and SkySave with Hex editor
6) Replace SkySave's 0x58-0x80057 (or 0x20057 if CartSave is 128KB) with the entire CartSave
7) Import the modified SkySave

GWSave -> SkySave (Card1) Converting Instructions:
1) Import Sky3DS Template's game header to your ROM and rename it into .3DZ
2) Do a .3DS save to .3DZ save conversion
3) Follow CartSave -> SkySave 's Step 3-7

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Using .139 and most of the games work.... Was happy to play Konami Devil World yesterday lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Do you have the mini radiator cooler? I Jerry rigged a heatsink and 5volt fan from a dead graphics card on mine, but eventually wanna get a real cooler/fan.
    Pure copper heat sink kit and fans
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I don't know bout sets, I downloaded all the roms for mine separately.
    My 1500ish games is all hand picked and scraped it's taken me months but zero trash well except MAME.... Tried deleting clones and broke the originals uugghh
    +1
    I legit have been complaining about MAME for over 20 years... Hate the way they handle roms
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea is a pain sometimes
    Now that they decided to add Tiger handheld and fruit machines.... Newer sets are worthless
    Because who doesn't want to emulate Halo LCD by Tiger when the machine needed to emulate it... Could just play Halo....
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Batocera has some tiger games
    I don't have them on mine Ken lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Waste of the 128kb they take
    +1
    Tiger handhelds are good for one thing.... Occupying space in a landfill
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They make good burning plastic
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Makes me wonder if the Pi5 can play PS2? If there's even a core for it yet.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pi5 should be able to do ps2
    Try Dragon Quest VIII it ran perfectly on a core 2 Duo I had
    Easiest game to run I found
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ps2 emulation is cake compared to 3 years ago
    Hardest is probably Gran Turismo 4
    It's much better now yes but Gran Turismo 4 is still the hardest one to emulate that I have in my collection
    Runs perfectly fine but it's as if I can feel it always on the boarder line of dropping a frame lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I ordered a spin ball couple days ago to add to my arcade cabinet, will be nice for games like golden tee, or bowling
    I always wanted a controller for like Ikari Warriors, Time Soldiers, Heavy Barrel, Forgotten Worlds games like those
    +1
    Not even sure what to call that controller
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Not even sure what to call that controller