Single Player Gaming is a "Gimmick"

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Another World, Oct 30, 2012.

Oct 30, 2012
  1. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Gogogic CEO Jonas Antonsson would like the public to know that single player gaming is just a gimmick. Antonsson was recently interviewed at thealistdaily.com, where he went on to express that single player gaming developed out of a necessity for gaming sales. He goes on to state that "the arcade was the only serious attempt" at co-op experiences.

Whether you dislike it or not, we should all agree that multiplayer gaming has made an impact on the gaming industry. Some franchises would not exist if it was not for multiplayer gaming, but others pack an amazing game into the single player experience.

As our first real debate since the forum was updated, what are your feelings about single player gaming vs. multiplayer gaming? Is Antonsson correct, was single player video gaming simply a sales gimmick for these past 30 years?

:arrow: Read the Full Interview
    :arrow: Tweet Your Comments to Jonas Antonsson

2. Nah3DS

Member Nah3DS Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!

Argentina
    yeah... and hair is a gimmick too

3. Another World
    OP

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    Everyone should take a moment to read the comments on this twitter.

he also has mixed in tweets about his stance on single player gaming. on one hand he doesn't seem to grasp it and is willing to stand up for his beliefs. on the other he is making excuses for the interview and how people perceived the article. it says in plain english that he thinks single player games are a gimmick and then in his twitter he comments that he has no idea how they continue to exist.

i feel that multiplayer games are more of a gimmick. the online experience is still limited in my opinion, and while it grows, i know for sure that we will see a trend to more interactive experiences. but it won't become mainstream until my generation has long since moved on from gaming.

-another world

4. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Well given light of the updates you just posted, this might as well be the average person trying to claim NASA is a gimmick.

I don't think there's anything to discuss here, at least that I'd care for.

Mr. Prince likes this.
  5. Mr. Prince

Member Mr. Prince GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Saudi Arabia
    It's his opinion and I COMPLETELY disagree. There some really good games that have really good single-player (Dark souls, Demon Souls, Mario, Legend of Zelda, Uncharted, Borderlands 1&2)

6. DiscostewSM

Member DiscostewSM GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    When I think of all the pre-teens yelling out during multiplayer campaigns over the net, I also think of how great it is to have a single-player experience. If it is considered a gimmick, then it is a good gimmick.

7. TheDreamLord

Member TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Ireland
    Not all kids are like this, I sure as hell didn't do this, but when it happens, yes, Multiplayer is a terrible thing. Having said that, most of my games I play are online so... :P Singleplayer games can be amazing. I love Just Cause 2 right now, and The Binding of Isaac.

8. suppow

Member suppow GBAtemp Regular

United States
    in an era when all games are online-multiplayer only? hell no! that's a gimmick!
    i still prefer SP

alphamule and jalaneme like this.
  9. Ericthegreat

Member Ericthegreat Not New Member

United States
    So I guess Final Fantasy was just a gimmick....

10. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States
    "Social Gaming" is the real gimmick. Gaming has been fucken social since Pong and now they act like its something new just like fucken 3D. It may have changed a little but at the end of the day it's still the same old shit.

11. beta4attack

Member beta4attack GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    This is the most ridiculous thing a 'gamer' said I have ever heard... (Assuming he's a 'real' one)

12. Forstride

Member Forstride The rudder moves when I turn the wheel

United States
    While I prefer multiplayer gaming (Well, depending on the game), it's always fun to just relax and play a good singleplayer game.

celcodioc likes this.
  13. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    Assassins Creed? Skyrim? TES in general? Fallout?

Giggtysword344 likes this.
  14. Issac

Member Issac Mini-mod

Sweden
    I disagree... SP is for me the perfect way to enjoy games, in my own pace, experiencing a story.. much like reading a book, but a bit more interactive.

I don't want to be tied to playing with others, I want to play when I want to play.

And that SP would be a gimmick? Eh? Judging by his name, he's swedish, just like me.. and I don't understand what he tries to say.

15. Qtis

Member Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Antarctica
    This is quite valid in one way. On the other hand, the opposite is just as true. Now that there are more and more people connected to the internet, it's possible to make single playerish games which in one way or another are multiplayer games (item prices in-game vary with other people's purchases etc).

Sometimes it's just so much more relaxing to play a game single player or two player co-op (split screen). Some of the best times I've been playing a game like CoD has been Split screen with a friend. Online on the other hand...

16. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    To be fair, not that many games only have online-multiplayer and mutiplayer is pretty much the main point of gaming i guess.

17. Fazermint

Member Fazermint I like dem vidya gaimes

Norway
    I cannot fathom how someone can believe such a thing. But people are entitled to their own opinion, I guess.

For single player mode to be a gimmick, it would have to complement multiplayer mode. The opposite is (almost) always the case. Given he's not a native English speaker, one could assume he doesn't know the meaning of the word, but I think this was more of an excuse to fend off the angry replies.

Games like Final Fantasy can't be enjoyed in multiplayer mode because of the nature of the game. Implementing a multiplayer mode might be plausible, but it would, ironically, appear gimmicky.

18. DSGamer64

Member DSGamer64 Canadian, Eh?

Canada
    Online multiplayer games have ruined the quality of single player modes in many games over the last several years. Single player isn't a gimmick, and arcade multiplayer games were so limited in their capacity compared to today's games.

19. gamefan5

Member gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Canada

I have nothing to say. He's not worth arguing.

20. zerofalcon

Member zerofalcon GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Antarctica
    If guys like these are meant to be the future gaming developers, well, expect A LOT of social networking crap games. These kind of "gamers/devs" makes me sick, I'm sure a lot of people like him never enjoyed a single player game in all it's glory, from A to Z, hours and hours searching every corner, reading every dialogue and discovering everything from the game itself, history and gameplay. Trying harder to improve skills in those hard games and again spending hours and hours in the process. Today devs (not all of them) are very weird.

alphamule and tbgtbg like this.