since when the hell did we have swear word filters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJPlace

going hire Ronald McDonald To Gun Down Nintendo.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what's going on with this world!?!

i can't say [censored] with out it being censored...

and the censored word is R A P E what is going on here!?!

the other cuss words are fine but... i don't understand why.

is there a reason behind this?

let me know i guess...

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
elenar said:
Words are just words. If we're going to censor the word the original post refers to, why isn't the phrase "nonconsensual intercourse" censored? Or perhaps "sexual assault", or "brassica napus" (a crop used for bio-diesel production that happens to be named 'sexual assault', apparently).

It's frankly ridiculous. Words have no value other than their meanings, and clearly every word in the english language either has additional meanings you're censoring by censoring the word, or alternate synonymous phraseology that is apparently perfectly okay.

If we can't use the word [censored] then we can't even hotlines for victims of that crime to call. Really, folks, if a female temper made a post on their blog asking what they should do, because they've just been sexually assaulted, people can't even tell them to call a [censored] hotline.

Tell me that isn't ridiculous.

We get this argument every single time the wordfilter is brought up.
Of course there are legitimate times where the word could be used.
And if one of those legitimate uses were to arise, I probably wouldn't say a word about circumvention of the filter.

But how is it used most often here?
"Oh man I totally [censored] those guys in HALO last night!"
or worse, when somebody is referring to an attractive woman (this actually happened recently)
"I would have [censored] her right then and there."

Wonderful tidbits of conversation there.

In short the filter is in place because too many people don't know when to keep their mouth shut.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
If someone close to you (e.g., your mother, sister or friend) were victimized, and the very mention of the word "rape" evoked even the faintest of painful memories for that person, would you go around shouting in their face "RAPE RAPE RAPE RAPE!!! It's just a word, get over it!"

I guess it's acceptable to do that.

If you're a sadistic psychopath.

If it's "just a word" for so many of you guys, then you won't miss it. Just drop it already
dry.gif

ProtoKun7

GBAtemp Time Lord Regenerations: 4
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In its most technical usage it should ordinarily be acceptable.
Any context in a joke however...no.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has the thought ever occurred to you "When am I ever going to use that word?" Unless you or a family/friend or whoever has that happen. You can still say "raped", just not the other wording.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Even if you need to say the word (like blogging about it), GBAtemp isn't the place to talk about it.

At least this place ain't like GameFAQs.

Ace

GBATemp's Patrick Bateman
Trophies
Website
goo.gl
XP
Country
I believe the F-word (synonymous with the condescending and derogatory form of homosexual) are also censored?

It's quite little compared to some forums, like Something Awful.

EDIT TEST: [censored]

EDIT2: yup, the long version is.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I remember a few years ago it was pretty common to say you got ****ed when playing online video games. I never thought it was very appropriate, but it seems to have died down since then.

At first the fact that it was blocked (I didn't know until I saw this thread) confused me, but after reading the reasons mentioned above, I understand completely. If you were to use it in a literal sense (for a news article or something), there are still other words to use.

Fishaman P

Speedrunner
Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so there's something I don't understand.

Has the word filter been lifted, or can moderators bypass them?

On topic here, I completely support upholding the ban, and I will try to remove all the times I somehow got around it on here.
i.e. past tense.

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Moderators aren't bound by the wordfilter.
And the filter hasn't always been in place. So if you happened to post any of these words before it was enacted, then that could explain why you were able.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Moderators aren't bound by the wordfilter.
And the filter hasn't always been in place. So if you happened to post any of these words before it was enacted, then that could explain why you were able.
Are you saying you're above the dictionary?

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Snailface said:
One of the nice unintended consequences of censorship is that it forces people to be creative to get their point across.

For instance, the angel in DQ 9 says flappin instead of *uckin. I like that.
tongue.gif
(sorry if that is a nerdy example)

When our wordfilter consists of a single word, circumvention of the filter is just damn annoying.
You can say a lot of things here. You can type the words shit, fuck, bitch, bastard, damn, hell, ass, motherfucker, cocksucker, tits and more.
Combine them in creative ways. We really don't give a flying fuck at a rolling doughnut about that, so long as it's not in thread titles, or used as an insult to another 'temper.
Is that so much to ask?
Vonnegut reference? Good call...

I think I may have said the R word on here once, flippantly, but once I saw it was censored I thought 'that makes sense' and went on my way. Do we need posts asking why things are censored? Free speech is all well and good, but with it comes the freedom to speak up when you're offended. The filter prevents a lot of threads like this popping up in which people debate the use of a word, and also prevents valid members of this community from avoiding coming on here lest they witness a remark they find harrowing

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
I dont think its such a big deal considering the amount of liberty thats being offered around the place.
We've never deleted a post for containing a swear word (though direct attacks on members are frowned upon... thats an understatement)

That particular word has been the object of lengthy debates in the past and no one wants to debate this matter again. The 'Temp has been fine without this word.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up