sigpatched sysNAND; and why you should use redNAND instead.

Discussion in 'Wii U - Hacking & Backup Loaders' started by iAqua, Nov 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iAqua
    OP

iAqua feel the... envy.

GBAtemp Patron
    iAqua is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    This is something that has been bothering me for a little while now, the "brilliant" tempers have decided that sigpatched sysNAND is a great idea. Smart right, *rolls eyes*. This is by far the worst idea i've heard in a pretty long time, since you're basically opening the paths to bricks. Since apparently everyone's too lazy to setup redNAND, they've decided that they should go the easy route and use sigpatched sysNAND, I'm gonna assume most of you know a little bit about 3ds hacking, so i'll explain it in that way, you know PastaCFW? The one that allows you to use sigpatches on sysNAND, which isn't the best idea. So i'm gonna say that it's not the best idea to use a sigpatched sysNAND and i'll state some reasons why, first of all, bricks are easy.

You could say that if you only want to install games then you're fine, which is true, but if you're just installing games you don't need sigpatches at all, so don't use sigpatched sysNAND, you're just giving yourself a chance to brick. So there's really no point of using it whatsoever, second of all is the obvious brick chance, if you install anything wrong you'll brick, point closed. Now there's the point of convenience which seems to be the only reason people are using this since everyone's lazy, IT'S USELESS. OKAY?! You can't install anything like a bad system title or sysConfig tool on sysNAND because it'll either brick or just not work on reboot. If you use redNAND you actually can use stuff. I'm not even going to go into the stupidity that is the risk of bricking with this, along with the fact that it's literally useless...

I'm really tired of people saying "Oh, we need to wait for salts stable tools, because this isn't stable and WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!! OMG!!! WAIT FOR SALTS, it's not gonna be any more stable then this. We already have a perfectly stable redNAND.

Oh, and you'll never be able to use the coldboothax solution that smea's made up with sysNAND, it'll have to be redNAND; so please, install redNAND and stop risking your console for minor convenience. In conclusion, it's not worth the risk. And you should know that; thank you for reading my thread, I hope you switch from sysNAND to redNAND.

Last edited by iAqua, Nov 13, 2016
    DarkGabbz, bigdadblair, sj33 and 13 others like this.

2. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

Nov 19, 2008
    Good points i agree. Im waiting for the mess of hacks that we have at the moment to mature and come together into something safe, reliable and useful before i take the plunge.

3. C0mm4nd_

C0mm4nd_ Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    Red-NAND is more dev-friendly.
    SysNAND \w signpatches will brick only if you install system title (Why a normal user should install system titles?)
    For the coldboot maybe you're right, but we can just wait a SALT solution.
    P.S. Coldboothax is not released...

CatmanFan, Spearel18, peteruk and 3 others like this.
  4. cheuble

cheuble Marieism™

Feb 6, 2016
    France
    Somewhere
    People shouldn't even install RedNAND anyway, wait for stable tools before!

Maximilious, Brawl345, Arck and 5 others like this.
  5. Kohmei

Kohmei GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 17, 2013
    United States
    I think everyone using A9LH would disagree with you. Emunand is an inconvenience that many have moved on from. Yeah, you can brick doing A9LH but you can even brick setting up an emunand

HBL allows launching custom programs of all kinds which is what homebrew devs should target instead of installable system menu apps, because you also risk bricking your rednand if you install a bad title, and who wants to keep constant backups of their rednand so that they can restore and not lose their saves etc?

Homebrew = HBL
    Games = Sysnand CFW

This is the preferable setup for most tempers. You can disagree but do not try to ostracize the majority opinion

6. KevinX8

KevinX8 Proud user of The Dark Theme

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Actually installing custom titles those work just fine on sysNAND and it those not brick it on reboot, the only problem is NUS packer isnt working on it yet. smea's current coldboothax isnt it worth considering its permanent and very early in development. Everything that works on redNAND works perfectly on sysNAND upto what we know apart from NUS packer like I said which will more than likely be fixed

7. cheuble

cheuble Marieism™

Feb 6, 2016
    France
    Somewhere
    Coldboothax IS released: install haxchi and change the boot title to the DS game.

8. C0mm4nd_

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    RedNAND can be useful only if you are a dev and you need a "sandbox" for testing

9. iAqua
    OP

iAqua feel the... envy.

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada

BIFFTAZ likes this.
  10. C0mm4nd_

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    Beta, Alpha?

11. iAqua
    OP

iAqua feel the... envy.

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    No, there's no beta for system.xml it's a file, it's not getting better unless there's a boot1/boot2 exploit.

12. cheuble

cheuble Marieism™

Feb 6, 2016
    France
    Somewhere
    A9LH is great because it offers you brick protection: it is a thing that loads BEFORE the system, so it doesn't matter if it is bricked. In that situation, you have no chances of recover.

iAqua and CatmanFan like this.
  13. C0mm4nd_

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    Pros for a normal user?

14. iAqua
    OP

iAqua feel the... envy.

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    Pros for a normal user using sigpatched sysNAND?

15. C0mm4nd_

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    I was talking for the method. It isn't safe. If you fail you'll brick.

16. proflayton123

proflayton123 Undeclared Shitposter 2.1

Jan 11, 2016
    Japan
    日本
    Noobs like me in the Wii U scene is something I'm doing :)

17. C0mm4nd_

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    Sign patches?

zeldaism likes this.
  18. iAqua
    OP

iAqua feel the... envy.

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Dec 7, 2015
    Canada
    And redNAND has that?

19. C0mm4nd_

Oct 9, 2016
    Italy
    Yeah but redNAND offers an useless protection layer. (for medium user)
    And we need 64GB SD.. (16 too but for 8GB Wii, 70% has the 32 Gb model)
    You're using 33 (or similar) gb on SDCard for nothing (an useless layer)

Last edited by C0mm4nd_, Nov 13, 2016
    zeldaism and xtheman like this.
  20. KevinX8

KevinX8 Proud user of The Dark Theme

May 12, 2016
    Down there
    Dude why are you acting like RedNAND is the unbeatable almighty way to hack the wii u, its just like redNAND on the 3ds compared to arm9, slow loading times and a waste of space so just wait for proper cfw to release and not install it coldboothax way

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.