Hardware Should Nintendo make the GamePad optional?

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Some first and multiplatforms (lazy ports that didn't need it & others trying to show what the GamePad's capable of) only use the GamePad while the majority is compatible with the Pro Controller so given that the Pro Controller is Wii U's traditional controller and feels better suited for gaming they really should.

Plus, if they want to enhance the experience then the GamePad's always going to be there for that occasion.

I know it's late to ask but it's never too late to do the right thing, Nintendo.

By the way, if the GamePad wasn't included with my Wii U and wasn't required for certain games, features, internet and such I'd never have gotten it.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think they absolutely should. I know plenty people on this forum disagree with this, but at this point Nintendo needs to increase Wii U userbase more than anything. Unbundle Gamepad and drop the price on Wii U.

PS3 went through something similar. It was advertised as the console that gives the "ultimate Playstation experience". It wasn't long before Sony realized it wasn't working and started to make drastic changes to it.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I'd love to see a "Wii U Pro" bundle. Comes with the Wii U Deluxe and a Pro Controller, sans GamePad. Oh, and if Nintendo is any serious about digital distribution then redesign the Wii U to accommodate a traditional hard drive and include a 500GB inside.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think they should. I don't mind having the gamepad but I wish it wasn't required for accessing the system settings among other things. While I like the gamepad sometimes it can be a hassle.
Not to mention that it would make the Wii u cheaper and more attractive, making it easier for potential customers to justify a purchase/impulse buy.

Reactions: shinkodachi

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I think they absolutely should. I know plenty people on this forum disagree with this, but at this point Nintendo needs to increase Wii U userbase more than anything. Unbundle Gamepad and drop the price on Wii U.

PS3 went through something similar. It was advertised as the console that gives the "ultimate Playstation experience". It wasn't long before Sony realized it wasn't working and started to make drastic changes to it.

They should do like this:

Bundle 1 - Standard (Black)
Wii U 250 GB
Wii U Pro Controller

Bundle 2 - Premium (Black)
Wii U 500 GB
Wii U Pro Controller
Wii U GameCube Adapter + Controller (which would be compatible with all Wii and Wii U games by this time)

Bundle 3 - Ultimate (White, the type of white that PS4 and Xbox have not the crappy white of the Basic Wii U)
Wii U 1 TB
Wii U Pro Controller
Wii U GamePad
Wii U Wiimote

The second bundle would be the most interesting of all despite having less storage space but if you buy physical disc games then that isn't much of an issue.

Reactions: shinkodachi

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Alternatively, second screen capabilities could be delegated to a 3DS. An ultimate pack with a 3DS XL bundled would be awesome. Just get rid of the GamePad altogether.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
They should have, but it's far to late for it now. Certain games aren't playable without it.

I don't see it going anywhere. They won't even let you turn the system on without the gamepad coming on :(.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
They should have, but it's far to late for it now. Certain games aren't playable without it.
It's never too late. Pikmin 3 had touch controls enabled in a new update, so why couldn't the few GamePad-only games out there be updated to support the Pro Controller? It's okay to have a few games exclusive to it, though. Like Nintendo Land. That's understandable. Just like The Playroom on PlayStation 4 requires the PlayStation Camera. If it's just a few games it's not bad.

And like trumpet-205 said above, Sony rebranded the PlayStation 3 completely with the PS3 Slim in 2009. Nintendo still can turn the tides if they wanted to and put effort into it. They're just a simple software update away from having the system entirely operable with the Pro Controller or Wiimote or whatever. Accessing the settings should not require use of the GamePad.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's never too late. Pikmin 3 had touch controls enabled in a new update, so why couldn't the few GamePad-only games out there be updated to support the Pro Controller? It's okay to have a few games exclusive to it, though. Like Nintendo Land. That's understandable. Just like The Playroom on PlayStation 4 requires the PlayStation Camera. If it's just a few games it's not bad.

Not all of them are Nintendo though. You'd have to convince others to roll out updates for their games or have the game gamepad exclusive. Even if you did that, there would still be a huge amount of copies already printed that have no marking indication gamepad only.

Dumb consumers are already confused enough. Why doesn't my WiiU game play on an entirely different console? And you want to introduce games WiiU games that don't play on certain WiiU versions.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Not all of them are Nintendo though. You'd have to convince others to roll out updates for their games or have the game gamepad exclusive. Even if you did that, there would still be a huge amount of copies already printed that have no marking indication gamepad only.

Dumb consumers are already confused enough. Why doesn't my WiiU game play on an entirely different console? And you want to introduce games WiiU games that don't play on certain WiiU versions.
What are these GamePad-only games? Is there a list?

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What are these GamePad-only games? Is there a list?

I don't think there is a list. Games that I can remember are either Gamepad only or Gamepad only for single player.

ZombiU
Lego City Undercover
Deus Ex human revolution.
Sonic Lost World.
Rayman Legends
Nintendo Land
Game and Wario

Might be more, but there is no list, that is just pulling from Memory.

Then there's games that while playable without the Gamepad, miss features without it.

That's a lot of patching or reprinting covers to mark games as Gamepad only, or all features only available with Gamepad.

DebugErr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be great to do some more things without a gamepad. For example system transfer if your gamepad is broken... it is only displayed on the gamepad, hah, funny, Nintendo, how could I use it if that thing is broken? >.< :D
But I love the GamePad as it is. Of course more flexibility for others would be great.

boomario

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Turning Gamepad optional for menus and basic functionality it's more than good but they don't need to remove the gamepad from bundle but rather just make a smaller and low cost one.

Hielkenator

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
No.
Please get it to your little thick skulls that the gamepad is not optional.
It IS THE WII U GAMESYSTEM ALONGSIDE THE WII U BASECONSOLE.
They aren't separate like a controller.
BTW the Wiiu has a goddamn abundance op option to control your game.
If you think it will cost less if it would come without a pad, I have to burst your bubble.
Taking the gamepad apart reveals nothing more than a cheap lcd screen and cheap buttons and some citcuit board consisting of sensors etc.
Yet it is 100&% part of the complete system.

To make it clear: The WiiU system consists of a base console alongside the Wii U gamepad.
It;s the way it is designed, and as of now mainly is used as an interface to the Wii u system.
For instance you can only acces and alter system settings via the Wiiu gamepad.
It also serves as an interface, camera, microphone, remote control, internet tablet, audioheadphone interface for your Wii games secons screen, tv replacement.etc etc.
Yet is can be used solely or optional in games if devs would like to use it.

The WiiU system consist of base console and the Wii U gamepad interface.
It's not a pure controller in the strictest sense of the word.

I DO NOT GET WHY PEOPLE DO NOT GET THIS!
They are not meant to be apart from each other....why make everything so damn complicated al the time?
WiiU is the gamepad + baseconsole.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
ZombiU
Lego City Undercover
Deus Ex human revolution.
Sonic Lost World.
Rayman Legends
Nintendo Land
Game and Wario
I can see a lot of those games playable on the Pro Controller without problem. You're right, though. All require the GamePad for some reason. When I played Sonic Lost World I think I barely used the GamePad in any other sense than as a regular controller. :( Nintendo's loss.

cobleman

Trophies
XP
Country
Gamepad was a novelty that lasted about three seconds for me I avoid using it tried playing Byonetta demo well that sucked spent more time looking at a little screen instead of my 60 inch 3d tv . Haven't got a Pro controller I couldn't warm up to it after using the Wiimote and Nunchuck, it made me feel more immersed in the game unlike a gamepad where I feel all thumbs and jerky sure you can hold the gun steadier but that isn't like real life aiming to me. I just hope the New Zelda game isn't gamepad only as it will end up being the only Zelda ever to come out that I wont finish(I only bought the Wii U for Zelda)
As for optional no it has it's place

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, absolutely not. The gamepad is an important part of the console and it is a guarantee to developers that everybody who owns the system has the gamepad. If the gamepad became optional then that guarantee would be gone and developers would be afraid to make games that require the gamepad as not every Wii U owner would be able to play the game.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
No.
Please get it to your little thick skulls that the gamepad is not optional.
It IS THE WII U GAMESYSTEM ALONGSIDE THE WII U BASECONSOLE.
Would you have said the same of the Kinect with the Xbox One? (Before the Xbox One was being sold without it, of course.)
If you think it will cost less if it would come without a pad, I have to burst your bubble.
Taking the gamepad apart reveals nothing more than a cheap lcd screen and cheap buttons and some citcuit board consisting of sensors etc.
Completely ignoring the fact Nintendo put R&D, testing, quality control, and labor expenses in making the GamePad a reality. That does not come cheap and is included in the price. Looking at the BOM (bill of materials) of a device says very little about its actual cost.
It;s the way it is designed, and as of now mainly is used as an interface to the Wii u system.
For instance you can only acces and alter system settings via the Wiiu gamepad.
Which we are arguing is very unfriendly to the user considering there's nothing special about the settings screen that absolutely must require the GamePad. Keep in mind that e.g. Nintendo eShop and Miiverse were accessible only using the GamePad, until a software update came to fix that problem. Yes, fix.
It also serves as an interface, camera, microphone, remote control, internet tablet, audioheadphone interface for your Wii games secons screen, tv replacement.etc etc.
Good thing that's exactly what I'm looking for in a console! If I really wanted a full-fledged multimedia box, I would've probably bought the Xbox One, because it has DVR support and it also plays Blu-rays. You know.
It's not a pure controller in the strictest sense of the word.
Yet games that make use of it can often be played just fine without it.
I DO NOT GET WHY PEOPLE DO NOT GET THIS!
They are not meant to be apart from each other....why make everything so damn complicated al the time?
Everyone is allowed an opinion, c'mon that's why we're on a discussion forum! :)

Reactions: thorasgar

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Good idea