• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Should Nazi war criminals continue to be prosecuted?

Sarvesh50

Aye!
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They should be prosecuted.. It's Justice first and second a good example to those neo nazi's..

Edit: Wow this is really complicated.. Like others said the remaining people that committed the crime are really old now. And in Germany's case the whole holocaust wasn't really considered a crime during the second world war.
Propaganda makes it complicated.. if you raise a country to believe that the crime they are committing isn't one. And like others said there are soldiers that are following orders is it still a crime?

My answer is yes. Could the soldiers do anything about it? Probably no they would have been killed if they didn't cooperate..

And to be honest i still think they should pay for their crimes.. Never forget and show the world that crimes against humanity is wrong.

Last edited by Sarvesh50,

RyanAnayaMc

The ACE
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would have to say no. While yes, what they did was unforgivable, there probably aren't many left and tracking them down would be difficult enough. In addition, would there even be any evidence of it? Even if they were still alive, it would be fairly pointless to put them on trial right now because of how old they are. They really don't have much of a life sentence left because those people won't have much of a life left to serve it. A person born in the 30s would be at least in their 80s right now. I firmly believe that justice should have been served long before. If they fled to avoid prosecution in the Nuremburg trials, then authorities should have invested the time to serve them justice long before the turn of the century. And for those saying it would make an example to the Neo-Nazis, why not prosecute them? Prosecuting a Neo-Nazi would send a far clearer message than prosecuting a 90-year-old Nazi.

Tl;dr No. Any justice done for them today isn't going to be punishment enough. They are too old to be put in a life sentence since their lives would be too short to pay for their crimes. They should have been prosecuted long ago for their crimes.

Noctosphere

Nova's Guardian
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They should be prosecuted.. It's Justice first and second a good example to those neo nazi's..

Edit: Wow this is really complicated.. Like others said the remaining people that committed the crime are really old now. And in Germany's case the whole holocaust wasn't really considered a crime during the second world war.
Propaganda makes it complicated.. if you raise a country to believe that the crime they are committing isn't one. And like others said there are soldiers that are following orders is it still a crime?

My answer is yes. Could the soldiers do anything about it? Probably no they would have been killed if they didn't cooperate..

And to be honest i still think they should pay for their crimes.. Never forget and show the world that crimes against humanity is wrong.
Err... i think he was talking about nazi, not neonazi

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't care if they were just following orders they were part of a military not only against our nation and allies, but wanted to torture/purge out the entire Jewish population.
It's like saying the the terrorists involved in 911 were just following orders to kill civilians....

S

Saiyan Lusitano

If we're being fair in punishing all those who deserve. Don't forget the Bolshevik criminals, too.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well...
Imo, only leaders like general should be
Others were just warrior obeying leaders orders

"just following orders" is considered a very poor excuse, though it can be one, indeed some call it the Nuremberg defense as it was so commonly used. On the other hand war crimes are typically not held to be a valid use of it.

And in Germany's case the whole holocaust wasn't really considered a crime during the second world war.

That was pretty much the first thing the Nuremberg trials had to establish for themselves. Answer was yes they could prosecute and as the country was a signatory on various conventions then things apply.

xpoverzion

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Hell No. They never should have been prosecuted in the first place. War is war. Germany declared war against "Israel." How else do you fight a war against a country that has no borders? So whether you are killing people door to door with rifles, drones, or smart bombs, it's all the same thing. If you are going to prosecute Germans for killing thier enemy at the time, then you should be prosecuting americans as well for killing, and displacing millions of people in the middle east, of whom most are completely innocent.

Reactions: ThoD

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
"just following orders" is considered a very poor excuse, though it can be one, indeed some call it the Nuremberg defense as it was so commonly used. On the other hand war crimes are typically not held to be a valid use of it.
Well, it's either do x, or we'll not only go after you, but we'll go after your entire family. It's why Rommel had to kill him self.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it's either do x, or we'll not only go after you, but we'll go after your entire family. It's why Rommel had to kill him self.
Aren't leaders or captains usually get hanged or killed when they get caught anyway? I mean they are too dangerous kept alive it would be like prosecuting a dead man tbh

Last edited by MasterJ360,

Whole lotta love

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes but all war criminals should be prosecuted. George W. Bush, everyone involved in the war crimes against Korea in the 50's, etc.

tbh I think the latter would go a very long way in dealing with the current North Korea issue. The reason they hate us is because we killed 20% of North Korea's population in 3 years, committing some of the same war crimes that had people hung at Nuremberg (like bombing dams).

Mackmire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
ideally, I think yes, of course. But I can't imagine many of them are alive anymore, and the ones that are alive may not be fit to stand trial (if they have dementia, for example). Any who are still alive and fit to stand trial? Yes, go get em. But realistically the sand on that particular hourglass is almost run out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nah we have well established 401ks health insurance and paid daily