Should it take hours to install a CIA in FBI?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Lkr, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Lkr
    OP

Lkr Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2009
    United States
    Hi guys
    I bought a 2DS the other day to put CFW on since I didn't want to fuck with my o3DS XL. I've been dumping game carts and creating CIAs with Decrypt9WIP. I installed Star Fox 64 3D successfully, although it took a long time(45-60) for the game to decrypt and dump, and then another ~30 mins to install it off the SD card. I imagine this is normal. The game is ~650MB.

The real problems came with a Pokemon AS dump. I didn't have the straight dump to CIA working properly so I did a dump and extracted the XORpads to convert it to a CIA on my computer. I left it on and went to dinner with friends, came back, and it still was barely half way done. This was after ~3-3.5 hours installing. Is this normal? I'm using a SanDisk Ultra 32GB Class 10 SD card with the system.

I tried to do a WiFi install because I read people were getting some decent network transfer speeds in comparison to how long this was taking. The fastest I could get using that was 7kb/s so that was a no go for some reason. I'm using a 2015 MacBook Pro and I have an Archer C7 AC1750 router.

The only reasonable conclusion I could reach is that it has to do with size as SF643D is ~650MB and Pokemon is 1.8GB. However my problem with that is it took close to five times as long to just install Pokemon than it took to dump Star Fox and install it.

So how reasonable are these speeds? Am I doing something wrong? Is the hardware really that shit?

Thanks

2. KunoichiZ

KunoichiZ GBAtemp Guru

Mar 16, 2012
    United States
    There's something really wrong because FBI should not take a couple of hours to install a game around 1GB. It'll take several minutes, sure, but not hours.

3. Lkr
    OP

Lkr Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2009
    United States
    that was what I was thinking. any recommendations on what to try next? should I try another CIA installer?

4. ecaep42

ecaep42 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 24, 2015
    United States
    How old is the SD card?
    Check the pins, are they showing obvious signs of long-term use?
    Try installing it on another SD card?

5. Scarlet

Scarlet Rydeen

GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Right
    It took about 30-45 minutes to install Pokemon Omega Ruby on my O3DS. I know N3DS install times are quicker, but depending on your SD card, it could take an hour or maybe a bit more.

Edit: Are you sure you don't just have a fake SD card?

Last edited by Scarlet, Aug 22, 2016
  6. Lkr
    OP

Lkr Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2009
    United States
    Only a month or two old, looks fine. How would I go about doing this? My only other SD card is 4GB. What would I need on it to boot and test?
    I have full arm9loaderhax cfw installed

I bought it at Best Buy so I'm 99% sure it is legit.

7. fikatr

fikatr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
    fake sd card ?

make sure sd card and slot is clean try cleaning it with alchol and q tip

maybe cia is bad

try installing a smaller cia compare speed with big files

maybe someone bought a sd from bestbuy changed it with fake one then returned it

Last edited by fikatr, Aug 22, 2016
  8. 4gionz

4gionz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    The sd card may not be fake but it may be crappy (class 4 or something) Also 45 minutes to install Pokemon makes sense since it's a pretty big game(maybe you feel like it's been hours but it's only been actually 45 minutes of installing). If you want my honest opinion, it's to stop trying to convert all your carts into games and just use the application ciangel or freeshop. You'll get all your cias installed much faster since there's no converting or downloading just install the game straight from your 3ds no hassle.

Also run your card through h2wtest if you really want to see if it's fake but if you bought it at best buy then you *SHOULD BE* fine

9. Nightwind84

Nightwind84 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 21, 2016
    Italy
    samsung evo plus 32gb is the best for my n3ds.

10. Atro

Atro Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 4, 2016
    United States
    The guy has a 2ds. Think of big SD cards not micros.

I don't think your card is fake. I used to get the same install time on my old 3ds with big games. Almost certain it's an old 3ds issue. Freeshop won't get you much leverage either, there's a limit on how much data the system can transfer or receive.

Last edited by Atro, Aug 22, 2016
  11. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    It all depends on the write speed of your sd card. If you have a class 4 card, you'll be waiting a while. Get a class 10 or higher.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

There's a such thing as an adapter

12. sweis12

sweis12 GBAtemp Maniac

Oct 20, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    Copy everything to the computer.
    Do a FULL format with the SD formater. ( NOT A QUICK ONE )
    Then copy all the files back onto the SD card.

Im assuming this SD card was used in a phone or camera.

13. gold lightning

gold lightning Member

Newcomer
    Aug 15, 2015
    United States
    I'll just add to make the process even clearer in case whatever is used to format the card doesn't default to this, that you need to make sure you format it as fat32 (I recommend using 64k clusters). This should clear up any filesystem issues if that happens to be related to your problems at all. If that doesn't clear it up, I'd go ahead and assume there's something wrong with the card itself.

Of course, the real issue could be that this is just how slow O3DS is with this. (I have no idea on this part because I got into CFW after I ditched my O3DS for N3DS.)

14. Lkr
    OP

Lkr Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2009
    United States
    lol i literally went out to dinner and came back and it wasn't done. it was several hours.
    im using ciaangel and its transferring a lot faster so thats fine

15. 4gionz

4gionz GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 16, 2014
    Canada
    Lol damn that really slow. Can I ask exactly what card your using

16. Lkr
    OP

Lkr Member

Newcomer
    Sep 18, 2009
    United States