Should I get a Steam Deck, and is it worth getting?

tech3475

Trophies
XP
Country
Ah, I see you're learning microsoft's marketing strategy 101 here.

The stupid reason isn't caused by the handheld (obviously) but by windows' installer. Installing a new linux partition on a linux PC? Not a problem. Installing a new linux partition on a windows PC? Not a problem. Installing windows on any OS PC? It'll claim everything for itself and makes dual booting a hassle to get working again (at best).

Honestly: if MS didn't enforce their operating system the way they did, I'd try out (and potentially recommending) dual booting. Truth is you're just better off using steamOS.

Personally, I’ve only seen this on the steam deck, just did a test on my asus laptop and I was (so far) able to install and use refind just fine with changes made in bios sticking.

Even before, I was able to install and use grub just fine.

Still, I find it ridiculous that the Valve designed handheld has this issue. Even if the BIOS still sucked and didn’t allow for changing the boot order within BIOS, I’d expect Steam OS to remain the default.

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whether or not it's worth it is going to vary from person to person. It's a PC in a Switch form factor, temper your expectations when it comes to processing power and you won't be let down. If you're hoping for the ability to play new AAA games at max settings that's not realistic.

As is, it has proven to be a capable 720p handheld and this is a lot more portable than having to carry a gaming laptop + controller around.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Lot of excellent points in this thread already.

I guess it's been over a year now since it was launched, so maybe this isn't quite so applicable anymore, but nonetheless:

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Was never applicable to Steam Deck since Steam had been out since 2003.
Sure, but it's not like every single Steam game is playable on the Steam Deck either.

I was very much expecting that the device was going to have various profound and mysterious bugs upon release and that a little while later they would come out with the Steamier Deck that was Slightly Faster To The Max. But I guess that hasn't happened yet.

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
Hello
Im think i wil buy a steam deck, and got some questions
Is the eMMc fast enough, for SD card
If it is, what SD card should i buy, im looking for a 1tb card

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello
Im think i wil buy a steam deck, and got some questions
Is the eMMc fast enough, for SD card
If it is, what SD card should i buy, im looking for a 1tb card
First answer would be yes. I've played through super mario odyssey running from SD card without issues, and I can't tell my non steam games (running from same card) apart m my steam ones (on HD, mostly).
I can't exactly recall the class I bought, but I didn't cheap out on it. A quick Google helped me, as I presume it'll help you. :)

Edit: found url: https://www.ign.com/articles/best-steam-deck-sd-cards
I'm fairly sure I have that Samsung evo 512 myself

Reactions: UnderJinx

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The Steam Deck is in an uncomfortable position right now. The specs have already been superseded by the likes of the ROG Ally, and Valve don't seem like they intend on releasing a Deck 2 any time soon. I'd say the ROG Ally is the better buy right now unless you really need those touchpads. And even if you do, you may just be better saving your money and getting a Deck 2 when that eventually gets announced. Because that extra horsepower the Ally offers really does matter.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
The Steam Deck is in an uncomfortable position right now. The specs have already been superseded by the likes of the ROG Ally, and Valve don't seem like they intend on releasing a Deck 2 any time soon. I'd say the ROG Ally is the better buy right now unless you really need those touchpads. And even if you do, you may just be better saving your money and getting a Deck 2 when that eventually gets announced. Because that extra horsepower the Ally offers really does matter.
I gotta disagree. The only time that extra horsepower is gonna get any play is when you're using it docked, because playing games at 1080p while portable pretty much guarantees less than an hour of battery life. For indie and 2D games the lower resolution does not matter. Windows on a portable is a less-than-pleasant experience, and the price difference isn't negligible either. I think Valve struck a better balance with Deck's design.

Reactions: Jacobh

K3Nv2

Village Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People really don't understand the MSRP of a portable device like this being able to dual boot OS, it's just a portable PC marketed at a low end MSRP so you can actually buy games for it.
$400 gets you TV out, storage upgradeability, obvious ability to play in every room, side loading .exes ino a Linux environment or just straight up installing windows. Not everything will play perfectly but that can be said for anything.
Most people that gripe about the down side either don't have one or have regret about not waiting for something more expensive to buy with fancier spec.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I gotta disagree. The only time that extra horsepower is gonna get any play is when you're using it docked, because playing games at 1080p while portable pretty much guarantees less than an hour of battery life. For indie and 2D games the lower resolution does not matter. Windows on a portable is a less-than-pleasant experience, and the price difference isn't negligible either. I think Valve struck a better balance with Deck's design.
I'd rather play at 720p with higher framerate/graphics settings. No issues there. Even on an Ally, I'd still play on 720p (or use AMD FSR)
The issue is more with demanding games. Of which there are quite a few on PC, and upcoming/future games are going to be even harder to run, meaning if you are someone who likes to play the newest demanding games the Steam Deck is going to become obsolete very quickly, even if it isn't quite yet.

The additional power of the ROG Ally is not just good for running games at 1080p. It gives you way more flexibility in how you like to play games. You can push the graphics settings higher if you don't care about battery life or playing tethered to a wall, you can use the same graphics settings/framerate and enjoy increased battery life due to the improved efficiency of the SoC in the Ally, or you can simply enjoy improved framerates. You aren't just stuck on low settings and 30 fps or sub-30 fps in demanding games like on the Deck. From what I have seen the difference is significant enough that 30 fps games on Deck can run closer to 60 on the Ally, and that makes a big difference.
It also has a superior cooler system that runs cooler and quieter, which from what I have heard also keeps the heat away from where your hands are better, improving comfort.

I don't think anybody who cares about battery life buys one of these things because that is their weakest point. Playing tethered to the wall during longer sessions is pretty much a fact of life that anybody who uses these things has to get used to. Which generally turns out not to be much of an issue because these devices are largely targeted at the person on the go, who doesn't have much free time to sit down and play at home, they are the ones who get the most use out of a portable since it allows them to use those short bursts of time they have during breaks, or on the 30 min commute to/from school/work to finally get some gaming done that they would otherwise never have time for. And I don't see a 1 hour battery life being much of an issue for that type of person; it's enough for them to make it to school/work and put it on charge so that it's fully charged by break time. In lighter games 1080p won't have a big effect on battery life anyways.

But let's be real, these devices are not made for playing indie and 2D games, those are almost always on Switch and a Deck or ROG Ally doesn't give you any advantage performance or graphics wise, just increased bulk, weight and fan noise. Sure, people play indie games on them too, but that's not what people are buying them for, the whole appeal is the promise of a more powerful handheld (compared to the Switch) capable of running AAA games, which the Ally just does better.

Granted, Windows is not the ideal OS for a portable, but you don't have to run Windows, that's the beauty of it being "just a PC". With Steam Big Picture being updated with the Steam Deck UI, you can run any Linux distro of your choice and get the Steam Deck experience on anything (or use something like ChimeraOS which is a sort of unofficial Steam OS), and I've heard of people putting the Steam Deck OS on various devices as well including the Ally.

As for the price, the MSRP difference compared to the 512 GB Deck (which is the closest comparison) is only $50, which is more than fair considering all the improvements, I don't understand why people keep bringing this up like it's a bad thing.
If you have a base model Steam Deck, the ROG Ally may seem like a big price difference... But you could conceivably get away without a large MicroSD on the Ally, I am sure nobody uses the base model Deck without one, so that's an added expense that needs to be taken into account too (and MicroSD storage is much slower than a SSD, so even if it is cheaper, it's not ideal for games with long loading screens)
Admittedly, even with the required cost of expanding the storage, that $399 base price is a lot easier for people to swallow and nothing else on the market can come close to matching that price, so the Deck has a big advantage there. I just don't personally think the base model is a good purchase unless you intend to upgrade the SSD with a 1TB/2TB one yourself (in which case by all means go for it, you get a better deal compared to the 512GB model and more storage), but many people just want to buy something and not have to fiddle with hardware upgrades themselves, and the 512 GB is almost definitely going to be the best size for those people.

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
Steam has had multiple sales where the 64gb deck is $360 in the US. If you are playing older games, you don’t need anything else. If you want more space, you can get a quality 512gb sd card for $30-35 any day or a 1TB SSD for $60-70.

For under $400-$420 you have a pretty capable handheld pc with 1TB of storage.

The ROG is $600 on sale. It’s a more powerful device for sure, but a 50% increase in price is significant. At full retail prices it’s a larger difference.

For me, it’s a nice luxury to be able to play games not sitting in front of a pc. It makes it easy to play for 30 minutes before going to bed. It’s heavier than a switch, but the controls are much more comfortable / ergonomic than the switch in a portable setup. For use at home, it’s also easy to stream from a more powerful PC or cloud service. It’s a large handheld, so if I’m traveling, I still use my 3DS or PSP.

UnderJinx

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
So i got my 64gb Steam deck a month ago, and installed a 1tb SD Card on it
Installed a lot of games from the Steam os, but soon got frustated that a lot of the steam games
not had controller support, so now i installed Windows 10, even though i have been warned that it would
be a unpleaseant experience. And yes i was.. The C drive is running out of space fast.
So i bought a 2tb SSD on Amazon and hopefully i will recieve it before Christmas, and install both windows
and my games on the SSD
After installing Windows on my Deck, everything is so much easier, installing games, you still have the steam
app, and i have installed Battlenet aswell.. Much easier

Reactions: Jacobh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto