Should I buy a PS3 or Xbox 360? (read post first)

Which one should I get?

• Xbox 360

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • PS3

Votes: 28 90.3%

• Total voters

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally i had both consoles and prefer the 360 but thats due to the fact that i prefer the controller, to me its all down to the exclusive games u prefer and controler

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know you don't like digital games, but there are a few on PSN that you absolutely must play.

Games like Journey, Flower (yes I'm serious), are the ones that come to my mind right off the bat. Those games deserve to be played.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I harbor no love for Sony, I've always considered the XBOX to be a kick in the groin to every PC gamer, so I bought a PS3. Always loved the Playstation controller, even my PC controller was designed like a PS controller. (see one of my earlier replies above for more on that)

Have never actually used an XBOX controller, so I may as well stay with I'm used to using.

OK, so here's what I bought, sorry if I don't use Sony-centric terminology. New to the whole experience. I wasn't worried about "deals" or hunting around for the cheapest prices when I got them. Haven't even unpacked it all yet.

PS3 bundle with Gran Turismo 5 and Infamous 2. (New, 500GB HDD)

Games are a mixed bag of new and used...

GRID 2 (I like racing games)
God of War Saga (5 GOW games in one was a must-have as far as I was concerned}
Blood Drive (impulse buy, know nothing of the game, looked fun on the box, only $6, so even if it sucks, meh...)
The Last of Us (heard good things, will give it a go)
Heavy Rain (same as above)
Silent Hill Downpour (I like SH games)

All bought at Gamestop

Guess it's time to hook this stuff up and give it a go.

Will probably just start a new thread in the PS3 boards for any further discussion or questions. But feel free to continue replying here, I'll read them all.

EDIT: forgot to mention the cheapo Dynex HDMI cable from Best Buy.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I've been mostly a PC gamer and the PS1 was the last console I've ever owned. PC's are becoming useless to me thanks to digital distribution. Due to my unique gaming morality (hate digital distribution), I've been thinking maybe buying a current gen console so I can go to a store and buy a game for it. I also figure that since they are about to be replaced by newer gen consoles, many games should be at blowout prices, or at least not always full price.

Now, some things to note before voting:
I hate FPS games and won't be bothering with those.
Third-person shooters are a mixed bag, but not really into them either.
I burned-out on RPG's many years ago and won't be bothering with those.
Cutesy games are the bane of my existence. No flower and bunny games.

Love racing games like Flatout. Or any racing with extreme damage models. Weaponized is really fun.
Love action or action aventure games. Especially hand-to-hand combat styled games in a fantasy setting.
Prefer fantasy settings over realistic settings. (but that's not set in stone)
Love classic retro gaming.
Flying space bang-bang games would be lots of fun.

No intention of hacking it (unless it would be stupid-easy) or ever hooking it to the internet. Single-player only. I'm perfectly capable of connecting it to the internet, but I'll only be playing single-player games on it, so I don't see the point of doing so.

Keep in mind I've never even touched either system before, ever, other than seeing them in stores. So that's why I figure I'd ask GBAtemp members which I should get, since you guys are a lot more familiar with the games for these systems.

At this point, I'm sorta leaning towards the PS3 because I enjoyed the God of War games on PSP, but I really don't know much about any other games for those consoles or which would provide more of the games I'd enjoy. Whichever I get will be a version with the largest harddrive they come with. I'm happy to say that money is not a problem at this point.

So based on all that crap I just said, which would be best for me?
So you basically just ruled out a whole shitload of games. How could you ever get sick of RPGs? You have no soul.
I say neither, get a Wii U.

Edit: I guess I'm a bit late. I will say though that if you used a X360 controller you would probably immediately love it. It's so comfortable to hold.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I enjoyed the God of War games on PSP

Every God Of War game is avaiable for PS3, if you liked the PSP ones you'll definetly gonna like God of War 3 and Ascension.

but I really don't know much about any other games for those consoles or which would provide more of the games I'd enjoy. Whichever I get will be a version with the largest harddrive they come with. I'm happy to say that money is not a problem at this point.

So based on all that crap I just said, which would be best for me?

I recommend you take a look into Sony exclusives.
Last of Us is a masterpiece, Uncharted 3 is pretty amazing,
Little Big Planet 2 brings a lot of custom levels, and many possibilities of gameplay.
Gran Turismo and Wipeout are nice racing games
and there are many others

Since most titles are multiplatforms, it's nice to have a look at the exclusives,
and by what you said, I don't think Halo and Gears fit you well.

Also, since you prefer physical copies, it's nice to know that Blu-Rays have an extra-layer for
protecting against scratches, and making disks readable even with fingerprints and dirt.
It also naturally makes them more resistent.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So you basically just ruled out a whole shitload of games. How could you ever get sick of RPGs? You have no soul.
I say neither, get a Wii U.

WiiU? Really?!
WiiU has almost no games.
A WiiU game will cost $60 or close to, while you can find many old PS3 and X360 games dirty cheap.
If it was to buy a next-gen console, Id recommend buying a PS4, but never a WiiU.

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You hate digital distribution? Your only option is to quit gaming completely cause that's the direction the industry is moving to. The next generation of consoles likely won't even have disk drives and even towards the end of this generation consoles will move towards digital downloads. As for PC, forget about it. Digital distribution is here to stay.

Digital distribution allows for cheaper prices and more convenience. It bypasses the retailer allowing for more direct money flow to the game makers. Unless you want to play outdated retro games forever, change your philosophy. We're in the year 2013. Physical medium is outdated.

Reactions: Flame

tatripp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just to save you the trouble later... If you are usually a PC gamer, you have probably heard of the Fallout series. Fallout 3 and New Vegas are on PS3 and they are awesome but very laggy and glitchy. I would probably just get them for PC if you want to play them. just a heads up.

Densetsu

Pubic Ninja
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I know you don't like digital games, but there are a few on PSN that you absolutely must play.

Games like Journey, Flower (yes I'm serious), are the ones that come to my mind right off the bat. Those games deserve to be played.
He doesn't have to download them. They come in a physical format as well.
http://i.imgur.com/lN4v9Gj.jpg

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
While I agree that Digital Distribution doesn't even come close to the pleasure of having a great collection of physical discs or cartridges on display... it's often a very cost-effective solution when it comes to gaming.

Take Steam for example - whenever a sale starts, you can go nuts for practically petty cash. Your average McDonald's meal is more expensive than an awesome Steam bundle.

Speaking of bundles, Humble XYZ Bundles became a sort of an online fad that you can hardly turn your nose up at - loads of games for... well, as much as you want to pay for them - hardly a bad deal.

Then there's PSPlus with Instant Game Collection - a service which made me, a die hard pirate who only ever bought games from series I collected, go full-on legit on two platforms - the PS3 and the PSVita (and I can't say that I'm running out of games anytime soon). On top of that there's discounts and even without Plus, PSN still holds sales rather regularily and you can really get your games on the cheap, especially if you Gameshare with a friend or relative like I do.

Digital Distribution has its disadvantages but as seen above it sure as hell has advantages as well and although I'll continue to buy the games I truly care about on discs and cartridges, I'm not frowning upon Digital Distribution nearly as much as I have before I had a good taste of it.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You hate digital distribution? Your only option is to quit gaming completely cause that's the direction the industry is moving to. The next generation of consoles likely won't even have disk drives and even towards the end of this generation consoles will move towards digital downloads. As for PC, forget about it. Digital distribution is here to stay.

Digital distribution allows for cheaper prices and more convenience. It bypasses the retailer allowing for more direct money flow to the game makers. Unless you want to play outdated retro games forever, change your philosophy. We're in the year 2013. Physical medium is outdated.

I highly doubt that my friend, physical media will always be king. Casual gamers will buy digital but everyone else will stick to retail, check what happened to the Xbone. Outdated retro games? i guess your not much of a gamer cuz 80% of what i play is " outdated retro games" BTW where are these cheaper prices you speak of? brand new games still going for $59.99? on psn and xbox live. Digital is the biggest scam ever.

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Been messing around in the menus.....they're like the PSP menus, so its familiar to me. The initial setup is time-consuming though, lots more option to sort through and set than a PSP.

Anyway, been checking out the different games.....only 3 so far.

Blood Drive is a turd. Was only $6, so I not stressed.

Played a bit of God of War 1......yeah, I pretty much already know I was gonna like it. I'll get to the others in the pack later.

The Last of Us - Nice! Graphics are sweet! Played till just a little past "20 years later" point. Looks very promising.

That's all the games I've played at this point. I played for all three of those games BEFORE connecting it the net, and it didn't hassle me about internet, so I went back into the menus to "finalize" settings and connected to the internet. Suddenly, the next time I boot The Last of Us, it wants to update. So really, an internet connection is technically required, just not forced. You will just have a buggy game to play if you don't. Catch 22.

I'll look at stuff at their store, but I'll only bother with demos and other free stuff I might be able to get. Mostly an internet will just be used to get patches for mu disk games though. I saw a free tekken game for download, so I'm slurping that now. Free is the only "downloads" I'll bother with.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Been messing around in the menus.....they're like the PSP menus, so its familiar to me. The initial setup is time-consuming though, lots more option to sort through and set than a PSP.

Anyway, been checking out the different games.....only 3 so far.

Blood Drive is a turd. Was only $6, so I not stressed.

Played a bit of God of War 1......yeah, I pretty much already know I was gonna like it. I'll get to the others in the pack later.

The Last of Us - Nice! Graphics are sweet! Played till just a little past "20 years later" point. Looks very promising.

That's all the games I've played at this point. I played for all three of those games BEFORE connecting it the net, and it didn't hassle me about internet, so I went back into the menus to "finalize" settings and connected to the internet. Suddenly, the next time I boot The Last of Us, it wants to update. So really, an internet connection is technically required, just not forced. You will just have a buggy game to play if you don't. Catch 22.

I'll look at stuff at their store, but I'll only bother with demos and other free stuff I might be able to get. Mostly an internet will just be used to get patches for mu disk games though. I saw a free tekken game for download, so I'm slurping that now. Free is the only "downloads" I'll bother with.

The Last of Us is if not the game of this generation. It's fantastic. The gameplay is a little basic, but its the story and characters you play for.

Physical medium is faaaar from outdated. Until the internet becomes available world wide with great speeds for low prices, physical media will be around. And that will take a lot of years to accomplish. Some places don't even have internet, and thus their only option is physical. Hell, publishers make more money from physical copies because so many more people prefer it over digital.

Me for example, I'll take physical over digital any day of the week. Not only is it more convenient for me to get it on disc, but it's better. I only get 200GB a month for downloading games. And I buy about 5-10 games a month, and everybody in my area is the same. Nobody wants to pay 120 bucks for unlimited GB a month. That's a rip off. We're going to do physical.

"Outdated retro games". Umm.. no. Retro games are great, they're not outdated. Just because someone likes them doesn't mean anything. I might as well say "unless you want to be considered someone who enjoys gaming, change your philosophy. We're in the year 2013. More and more people prefer retro gaming because in a lot of cases, it's better than 90% of the games coming out today."

Rayder

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I only consider myself a retro gamer because I play a lot of oder games more than I play newer ones. It's not to say I never play newer games, but I don't forget the classics that I poured quarters into in the arcades all those years ago.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so playstation plus is out of the question?

I know you said you dont like rpg's, but you should check out 3d dot game heros, if you played any of the classic 2d zelda games it should be right up you're ally

Kirito-kun

Disciple of GabeN
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I highly doubt that my friend, physical media will always be king. Casual gamers will buy digital but everyone else will stick to retail, check what happened to the Xbone. Outdated retro games? i guess your not much of a gamer cuz 80% of what i play is " outdated retro games" BTW where are these cheaper prices you speak of? brand new games still going for $59.99? on psn and xbox live. Digital is the biggest scam ever.

Biggest scam? Have you not heard of Steam? Have you not heard of the humble bundle? I managed to get Battlefield 3, Mirror's Edge, Crysis 2, Dead Space 3, Burnout Paradise, Sims 3, Medal of Honor, and Red Alert 3 Uprising for a total of 5 dollars. I think physical games are a scam. In fact, compared to digital games on PC, console gaming as a whole is a scam.

And casual gamers? Most PC gamers use Steam and the PC gaming community is known to be a lot more hardcore than the console gaming community. Steam has over 90 million users. Nuff said.

TVL

#|
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
It's a tough choice because they are so similar and you need help distinguishing them from one another? ;)

I think PS3 has the slightly better exclusives and the Xbox360 has the better controller, both only a matter of taste though.

XiTaU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have both i mainly use my 360 as it allows me to play shmup games and fighting games which either have poor ps3 ports or most japanese shmup games never got released on ps3. If i didnt play fighting games or shmups i would buy a ps3 instead for sure.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i have both i mainly use my 360 as it allows me to play shmup games and fighting games which either have poor ps3 ports or most japanese shmup games never got released on ps3. If i didnt play fighting games or shmups i would buy a ps3 instead for sure.

Fighting games on the 360 is horrrrrible because of that shitty ass D-Pad.
Biggest scam? Have you not heard of Steam? Have you not heard of the humble bundle? I managed to get Battlefield 3, Mirror's Edge, Crysis 2, Dead Space 3, Burnout Paradise, Sims 3, Medal of Honor, and Red Alert 3 Uprising for a total of 5 dollars. I think physical games are a scam. In fact, compared to digital games on PC, console gaming as a whole is a scam.

And casual gamers? Most PC gamers use Steam and the PC gaming community is known to be a lot more hardcore than the console gaming community. Steam has over 90 million users. Nuff said.

Yes because all 90 million of those steam users play online right?

And even then, not all games go on sale, even on steam. Games still get charged full price on PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Jaws is on a diet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn power went out
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok xdqwerty, your little bro prob tripped On the cord and unplugged you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ya I'm afraid of the dark hug me
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Grab and hold close your AncientBoi doll.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Damn didn't charge my external battery either
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Take the batteries out of your SuperStabber3000... Or is it gas powered?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I stole batteries from your black mamba
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My frozen food better hold up for an hour I know that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or else gonna be a big lunch and dinner tomorrow.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Did you pay your power bill? Or give all yo money to my wife, again.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh good the estimated time is the same exact time they just said
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Load up your pc and monitor, and head to a McDonalds dining room, they have free WiFi
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sir please watch your porn in the bathroom
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No sir we can not sell you anymore apple pies, after what you did with the last one.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We ran out
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    for your life
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My life has no value my fat ass is staying right here
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nearly 4 hours without power :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    SO POWERLESS
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: