Mario Kart SNES Challenge

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I was talking with a co-worker who's about the same age as me and enjoys most of the same retro games as I do. Thats when the topic of Super Mario Kart for the SNES came up. We talked about how it was in our opinions the first and best Mario Kart made. Somehow the discussion moved onto the drivers and I pointed out that each driver technically has stats and they differ which blew his mind. Then he talked about how if you play Grand Prix, depending on which driver you choose to race as, the lineup changed but always stayed consistent. For example, if you race as Yoshi, you will always be dodging green shells from Koopa Troopa.

I brought up that you could actually modify that order if you work hard enough and he confirmed that yes, he had been known to purposely drop items in specific places to knock out second player right before the finish line so that 2nd place took 3rd or even 4th place and that it would forever change that Grand Prix's lineup. So we got to talking about something he had always wanted to try but because he was an only child and hadn't thought of it until well past the SNES's life, he'd never had anyone to try with. When I asked what, he responded with:

"I've always wanted to know if its possible to get every racer on the lineup points and still podium."

I had to ask him to explain. He said that it would be really hard if it were even possible. There are 5 races total in a GP, but only 4 races you get to work on this. The first race basically just sets the lineup. But within those 5 races, get every racer points. Even if its only 1 point. 8th place has points, 7th, 6th, etc... But, you still have to podium, meaning you still have to finish in 1st, 2nd, or 3rd.

I said something I still believe... This isn't possible with one player and it will be damn difficult or even impossible with two players. But, we set out to attempt it. Using Retroarch's netplay and a copy of the ROM, we've been attempting this off and on for months. I'm starting to think that it just isn't possible.

GBATemp: is this possible? Is it possible to get every racer in Super Mario Kart for SNES/Super Famicom points and still podium within a 2-player Mario Kart GP set? Only one player needs to podium.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
We're talking about combinatorics here.

Won't get much into the concept of it, but we would need to calculate all possible results that satisfy our goal and then, calculate all of the possible ones the game provides, finally we would need to find all intersection(s) -if any- from both sets (winning result(s), and game's possible results), the resulting set would yield us the answer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!

rcpd

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We're talking about combinatorics here.

Won't get much into the concept of it, but we would need to calculate all possible results that satisfy our goal and then, calculate all of the possible ones the game provides, finally we would need to find all intersection(s) -if any- from both sets (winning result(s), and game's possible results), the resulting set would yield us the answer.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks!
That sounds like math. I'm number phobic. But since you spouted off not only the concept behind it but also the basic definition (I looked, it checks out) I'm assuming this is something you're familiar with?

Dumb it down to 5th grade and explain the data I'd need to figure this out please.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto