Question Sharing Keys

OP
Trophies
Website
173210.github.io
XP
Country
It's controversial that sharing keys is illegal or not.
At least, however, Wikipedia doesn't remove keys. Here is an example:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AACS_encryption_key_controversy

Do you think GBATemp.net should also allow to share keys?

/* IMHO, GBATemp.net should ban all pirates before removing keys. */

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
@173210 Or a program making it possible for anyone interested in the keys.
I mean, a dumper and tutorial. So no key or its deviration is included.
However there could be some guys sharing that to others in some countries..
But it's not related to your own code, as it only does the extraction.
--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------
BTW don't tell me you've already found those.. If so congrats!
I would wonder which country Rei is in, since he/she get those interesting stuffs shared already.
Eh.. Those guys worked for PS3 have put up most keys on their wiki.. Don't know if still legal or not.. But there was a Git server for those IIRC.
Or, get those on Tor network? Tor server is hard to detect/access/index and there are some illegal things floating there (orz).

Last edited by Syphurith,
Reactions: 173210

Tomy Sakazaki

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
While I wanted to people be able to share keys on GBATemp I think that mods and admins should play safe and not allow to share, in the same way we can't share dumped firmware.bin and keys files here, I don't think GBATemp have the legal power to fight back if they receive anything beyond a C&D.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The keys things is more of a precautionary measure, possibly more historical than not but I am not seeing the need to repeal it. By and large they are so easily found by anybody that needs them that fending off whatever legal notices someone farts out is not worth the hassle. By similar token hiring a lawyer (you pay a lawyer and you have paid a lawyer, you do not then tend to get it back to buy some prizes for a competition or something) to argue the maths of putting the Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything into this program just so happened to generate it but did not contain it is also not worth the hassle, or if you prefer yes we all know you can probably make some kind of end run but why bother. Anybody that can not find a key is likely the same kind of person that can not find a ROM and thus them not knowing probably saves aggro in the long run (see also http://www.actsofgord.com/Justice/chapter06.php ).
We had a kind of related discussion the other day http://gbatemp.net/threads/linking-google-searches-and-the-line.407392/

Exceptions tend to be for user keys (you own the device and the keys, enjoy your banned profile/console though), per game save keys and if the mathematics of the key was chosen such that it is actually relevant to a discussion of the crypto (all 00 keys and such), or more likely its failure, and similar such things.

" /* IMHO, GBATemp.net should ban all pirates before removing keys. */ "
Squeh? Peh? Fleh? Beh?

Reactions: Vappy

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no idea if sharing keys is actually illegal, but legal or not I wouldn't risk Nintendo cracking down on GBAtemp for allowing key sharing. They cracked down in the past back when people shared roms, and tbh I am amazed how kindly Nintendo has treated GBAtemp since. They even send review copies to some of the staff. I mean do you really want a legal battle against lawyers worth millions of dollars? Just use Google.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.