FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I

I thought you were talking about if we had to take a current technology and revert it to its primitive form.
Sony had things like the clie, and microsoft had any number things running Windows CE (with internet browsing since 1996, though PocketIE was not the best and 2002 would be internet explorer ce before something vaguely competitive happened), HP had long had palmtops with serial ports and options to get a modem going on, touchscreens were nothing new either. The idea that someone would bolt on a mobile phone transmitter to a PDA would not have been terribly alien.
It would not be so many years before various European phone companies (Americans generally got laughed at for their horribly primitive phones, and I don't think even Japan knows what happened in Japanese phones during this timeframe, Japan did have some interesting stuff a few years later too though) came along with a somewhat programmable phone either (and pocketPCs were long since quite programmable, probably even more open than phones today). Blackberry had java running phones capable of email in 2002, and more pager type things earlier still, see also Symbian for one time super popular OS in such a space. First phone virus (cabir if you want to look it up) was 2004. Maps on GPS enabled phones was a bit later affair (Nokia N95 probably being my first interaction and that was 2007 or so I think, https://pdroms.de/nintendo-nintendods-nds-ds/treasures-of-gaia-v0-2-nds-application having google maps/satellite view also in 2007 on the DS) but GPS devices were common enough to be mundane.
The idea of making it as "open" as the likes of apple and then android was seemingly a bridge too far for the makers of such devices* and they tried to lock them down hard, charged outrageous access fees and whatever else but you could have paid your money and programmed something nice, with several companies having rather noted custom setups.

*possibly also the FCC (see history of software defined radio and the FCC) but I am speculating at that point.

Basically dropping things back 20 years on phones would not change an awful lot depending upon where you are in the world, and if it did it would only be for a year or two. Now I am operating under the idea that people were using phones as a phone that maybe had some other communication forms rather than what it is like today and that might be radically different unless you were a businessman or a super turbo rich nerd (in which case you might just able to pull off an effective equivalent).

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
modern ecmo machine, if we had built on ecmo the last 20 years the covid pandemic would have been way less deadly
Would its use have been immediately apparent or sellable enough to spin up at any kind of useful levels beyond token installs (one or two per ward/hospital maybe) in a few intensive care wards, serious paediatric locations, more hardcore surgical setups as well as maybe a few A&E/ER/emergency medicine places in similarly hardcore areas? So far in this it seems we are generally assuming that we are going to not be able to do the "I am the from the world of tomorrow future" line then we have to try to sell things on the merits, and support them with then current tech*, or at least I presume that is why you did not take back a sample of one of the various vaccines (SARS would not even have been a thing by this point if we are concerned mostly with the coronavirus families and need reminders of ambivalence, Swine flu and bird flu also would be future events and nothing in particularly recent memory other than aids which hardly counts for this one) and some research notes** for what would be a largely hypothetical future setup and do the whole "prevention better than a cure" bit. By similar token ventilation and intubation were known about 20 years ago, still suffered a shortage of gear able to do the duty cycles asked of it (amusingly enough the now 20 year old stuff being somewhat more valuable in some cases as people could find/make/fix them without vendors kicking off, though also 20 years old being within the refresh cycle saying perhaps more in this on how hard it is to sell things) and shortage of people capable of running it all.

*you say built on but I am going to have to go do some reading to know if current ecmo is downstream of something else that would have to be invented/perfected/industrialised first. Others playing along then rather than 20 years you are now sent back 100 years, great until you realise modern industrial plastics are decades out (bakelite is still a magic new material for instance), and if you want to prevent world war 2 in this timeline then probably a bit more still.

**can only imagine trying to sell people on that pathway for vaccination back then as well vs boring and basic attenuated and the others.

Equally if you are taking back fancy medical tech or perhaps knowledge then surely there are more damaging and deadly things you could solve than this covid lark if you amortise over the years (tpa was a thing by then, arguably widespread even, but if you wanted to multiply the stroke count per year vs saved by...)

Reactions: Flame

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would its use have been immediately apparent or sellable enough to spin up at any kind of useful levels beyond token installs (one or two per ward/hospital maybe) in a few intensive care wards, serious paediatric locations, more hardcore surgical setups as well as maybe a few A&E/ER/emergency medicine places in similarly hardcore areas? So far in this it seems we are generally assuming that we are going to not be able to do the "I am the from the world of tomorrow future" line then we have to try to sell things on the merits, and support them with then current tech*, or at least I presume that is why you did not take back a sample of one of the various vaccines (SARS would not even have been a thing by this point if we are concerned mostly with the coronavirus families and need reminders of ambivalence, Swine flu and bird flu also would be future events and nothing in particularly recent memory other than aids which hardly counts for this one) and some research notes** for what would be a largely hypothetical future setup and do the whole "prevention better than a cure" bit. By similar token ventilation and intubation were known about 20 years ago, still suffered a shortage of gear able to do the duty cycles asked of it (amusingly enough the now 20 year old stuff being somewhat more valuable in some cases as people could find/make/fix them without vendors kicking off, though also 20 years old being within the refresh cycle saying perhaps more in this on how hard it is to sell things) and shortage of people capable of running it all.

*you say built on but I am going to have to go do some reading to know if current ecmo is downstream of something else that would have to be invented/perfected/industrialised first. Others playing along then rather than 20 years you are now sent back 100 years, great until you realise modern industrial plastics are decades out (bakelite is still a magic new material for instance), and if you want to prevent world war 2 in this timeline then probably a bit more still.

**can only imagine trying to sell people on that pathway for vaccination back then as well vs boring and basic attenuated and the others.

Equally if you are taking back fancy medical tech or perhaps knowledge then surely there are more damaging and deadly things you could solve than this covid lark if you amortise over the years (tpa was a thing by then, arguably widespread even, but if you wanted to multiply the stroke count per year vs saved by...)
IDK how true it is, but the doc I work with thinks one day ECMO will replace the ventilator. It just doesn't make sense to continue to give oxygen via broken lungs if providing it directly to the blood is an option.

Currently the cannulation necessary is brutal, and the tubes (even with heparin lined walls) still clot.

But ECMO has made crazy grounds recently. The doc I worked with has personally seen a patient on ECMO for an entire year.

The gains go beyond covid and include bacterial pneumonia, drowning, etc. Every hospital could benefit from ECMO, but currently we are far from every hospital having ECMO.

I really think going back 20 years with modern tech could lead to some good. In my major metropolitan area AFAIK we only have 2 centers.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
IDK how true it is, but the doc I work with thinks one day ECMO will replace the ventilator. It just doesn't make sense to continue to give oxygen via broken lungs if providing it directly to the blood is an option.

Currently the cannulation necessary is brutal, and the tubes (even with heparin lined walls) still clot.

But ECMO has made crazy grounds recently. The doc I worked with has personally seen a patient on ECMO for an entire year.

The gains go beyond covid and include bacterial pneumonia, drowning, etc. Every hospital could benefit from ECMO, but currently we are far from every hospital having ECMO.

I really think going back 20 years with modern tech could lead to some good. In my major metropolitan area AFAIK we only have 2 centers.
The seriously invasive bit is what made me pause on that one, and while broken lungs is certainly a notable event in the medical decisions route is it the standard and some kind of lipstick on a pig situation?

I see other areas being a thing but at the same time how common are they where it is merited treatment? If I am doing the budget/ethics calculation then upkeep per year vs usage vs hiring more staff or buying another machine that goes ping, much less in 2000s timeline (we will assume anti whatever magic impregnated tubes from current space year are manufacturable and maintainable at 2000s costs or today's costs/whichever is cheaper).

That said year on it might change the transplant waiting lists somewhat if they do end up common as ventilators, though I would also hope stem cells (by the way in this timeline we are still a few months before the US stem cell limiting bill is signed if you did want to go back with shiny lab notes to say "this is what it can and demonstrably has solved" and want an alternative to trying to argue potential against "they is grinding up babies and injecting them") catch up by then, if not outright artificial hearts and other things. Though wards full of awaiting might get kind of expensive even with a head start.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The seriously invasive bit is what made me pause on that one, and while broken lungs is certainly a notable event in the medical decisions route is it the standard and some kind of lipstick on a pig situation?

I see other areas being a thing but at the same time how common are they where it is merited treatment? If I am doing the budget/ethics calculation then upkeep per year vs usage vs hiring more staff or buying another machine that goes ping, much less in 2000s timeline (we will assume anti whatever magic impregnated tubes from current space year are manufacturable and maintainable at 2000s costs or today's costs/whichever is cheaper).

That said year on it might change the transplant waiting lists somewhat if they do end up common as ventilators, though I would also hope stem cells (by the way in this timeline we are still a few months before the US stem cell limiting bill is signed if you did want to go back with shiny lab notes to say "this is what it can and demonstrably has solved" and want an alternative to trying to argue potential against "they is grinding up babies and injecting them") catch up by then, if not outright artificial hearts and other things. Though wards full of awaiting might get kind of expensive even with a head start.
The thing about ECMO is it can give you time for your lungs to heal from the cytokine storm.

I had a patient who was on ECMO for a few weeks and then had a full recovery without need for transplant.

Ventilators have the capability to do as much harm as good (in certain situations)

Reactions: zfreeman and Flame

Deleted member 668561

GBAtemp Official Psychonaut
Banned
Trophies
somewhere within 4 dimensional space-time
XP
Country
United States
RGB Fans so people can look at it and go “what the hell is the point in that?”

It runs so quiet when idle I needed a failproof indicator that it's on
IMG_20200407_185451084.jpg