Semi-bricked Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by snk2, Feb 22, 2012.

Feb 22, 2012

Semi-bricked Wii? by snk2 at 6:48 PM (7,052 Views / 0 Likes) 116 replies

1. snk2
    OP

Newcomer snk2 Advanced Member

Romania
    Hello, a friend of mine brought me his bricked wii.The console is 4.3E, and was modded following the "modify any wii" tutorial from gbatemp using the Yu-gi-oh exploit sometime more than a year ago.He said the console got bricked after trying to run a Gamecube backup, however no mIOS was installed.

The console now boots to a black screen, no health warning, the wiimote doesn't sync.I can access Priiloader and i can load the HBC from Priiloader.I tried to disable the priiloader hacks and to load the system menu using different IOSes , but no success.I also tried to re-install IOS236 plus the cIOSes and the IOS80-64-v6943[TB+NAND].wad, still boots to black screen.

What should i try to recover the console?I think it can be recovered i just don't know how.
    Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

2. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    reinstall the system menu and it's IOS and that should clear it up. You can download the files using ModMii's classic batch download pages. Make a nand backup through bootmii before you install anything or do anything because installing a system menu will remove priiloader. So after you install the system menu and it's IOS, make sure you reinstall priiloader before you restart the wii or exit out of HBC.

Someone else may or may not have better advice.

3. AbdallahTerro

Member AbdallahTerro da KiNG

Lebanon
    Reinstalling the system menu IOS should fix this as DeadlyFoez said. Since you're going to do so, you might consider installing SM 4.1 instead of 4.3 since it has less security and all the features of the newer one. Just make sure cIOS60 is installed and have the priiloader hacks for v4.1 present on the SD in order to get priiloader installed on the new SM. (if u used ModMii, you should have system menu IOS in all available SM-IOS slots already (11,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90)

Question: Is running GC backups with no Mios present a known and proven reason of semi-brick, or this is just an isolated incident?

4. snk2
    OP

Romania
    Thanks for the replies.So if i want to reinstall the 4.3E system menu, which IOS should i use from ModMii? IOS80v6944 or IOS80(IOS60P) ?

@[member='AbdallahTerro']: i think i will stick with 4.3 for now, i just want to get the Wii up n running.As for your question about GC backups, i don't think that was the reason for the brick, i think my friend did something else but he didn't want to tell me.Who knows?

5. AbdallahTerro

Lebanon
    Just do a fresh ModMii setup for 4.3E and all the wads you need including cIOS80 will be in Copy_to_SD\wad folder.
    And yes I think your friend installed a wrong WAD (in this case reinstalling SM might not be enough. Instead you need anytitle deleter to remove that wad) cause a wrong wad wil boot the wii into black screen (if priiloader hack to replace health with back screen is present)
    Good luck

6. snk2
    OP

Romania

I tried what you said and i still get a black screen.I can't use Anytitle deleter because it doesn't support the GC controller (i can't use wiimotes because they won't sync, like i said).
    Any other suggestions?

7. AbdallahTerro

Lebanon
    you can use Wiimod (there's a title deleter inside) or if you know the culprit wad you can uninstall it with wad manager using (-)
    N.B Using title deleter can be dangerous if u don't know what you're doing
    just be sure to ask your friend what he did first and reply.
    TC

8. snk2
    OP

Romania
    Sadly i don't know what wad could have caused this, and honestly i dont think my friend installed some wad, he doesnt even know how to use the homebrew channel, and he didnt have an sd card.He said he just tried to boot a GC backup (it was a "Zelda OOT Multi-pack" he says), i dont know if thats official or some emulator, or that it matters.

9. AbdallahTerro

Lebanon
    sorry man I have no idea what this GC mode related brick is about. But my advice is to reinstall all the ios's in the hack pack.

10. snk2
    OP

Romania
    It seems the console has a modchip installed too, does that matter?
    Also when you say to reinstall all the IOSes, could you be more specific please?Do you mean the non-fakesigned ones or the fakesigned ones from ModMii?
    Thanks.

11. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    @[member='snk2']

Personally, I would not follow the advice of AbdallahTerro. He is still quite new and does not have much of a clue. Just stick with what I said.

12. snk2
    OP

Romania
    I will try what you said, but just to be sure, i must use the fakesigned or the non-fakesigned IOS80 after i reinstall the 4.3 system menu?

13. pwsincd

Member pwsincd Garage Flower

United Kingdom
    Thats the most polite comment i think ive seen you dish out . pmsl :)

14. Slowking

Member Slowking GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    Doesn't matter really. I personally like IOS60 patched to slot80. But that's just me. :D

15. snk2
    OP

Romania
    So i reinstalled the system menu then the IOS80(IOS60) and i still get a black screen.No hacks are enabled in Priiloader.

16. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    Make a fresh nand dump, and run it though pune's nandbincheck app and post up the output into a spoiler.

17. XFlak

Member XFlak Wiitired but still kicking

Canada
    can u still access priiloader? Hopefully u followed Foez's advice and reinstalled it after installing the SM but before exiting the HBC

18. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    Did your wiimote's sync when you was able to enter HBC, or can you power on your wii with your wiimote, if not your problem might be a broken or loose bluetooth module.

19. snk2
    OP

Romania
    @[member='DeadlyFoez']:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

@[member='XFlak']: yes, i can access priiloader

20. DeadlyFoez

Member DeadlyFoez Banned

United States
    I can't see anything that stands out as what would cause a brick. It's certainly not a banner brick. But it does look like you probably had darkcorp installed at some point, but that wouldn't cause a brick either.

On the output, did anything show up in red?