Sega: No plans to release "Phantasy Star Nova" in the West

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Gahars, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Gahars
    OP

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    Is this the real life? Nope, it's just Phantasy. No localization, the all too-true reality...

:arrow:Sega Addicts

Face it, fans phans - It's a no-go-va.

It's a shame for PS Vita owners, too, considering the handheld's dearth of titles. Couple this with the lack of information on a Phantasy Star Online 2 localization, and yeah, things aren't going so hot for the franchise, either. Being a Phantasy Star fan phan is suffering.

On the bright side, though, it's great schadenfreude for the rest of us! So keep on keeping on, you poor bastards.

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I can understand how there are "no plans for localization yet" - the game isn't even finished. They're yet to localize Phantasy Star Online 2, Phantasy Star Nova will have to wait a bit.

3. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Tri Ace (makers of one of my favourite games this last go around) working on a new phantasy star (one of my favourite franchises) and it not being tied to the online series (I am learning to live with PS3 but the online stuff does little and less) so much.... assuming what Foxi4 said is not what is happening I guess it is time to brush up on the old kanji.

4. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    I was planning on importing this anyway, but it's a bummer it won't be coming here but Sega makes boneheaded decisions when it comes to localizations so it's not a surprise.

5. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    Meh, I'll just play PSO2 instead. If it ever gets an official English release. I know there's an unofficial English translation, but that doesn't fix all the Japanese players running around.

6. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Deciding not to localize huge games that no longer have a following in the west is not a bonehead decision - it's a decision that's to be expected.

Skelletonike likes this.
  7. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    Numerous games have their localization begin during development, when they are expected to make a good amount of profit. Sega's simply not in a position to gamble with a title like this.

8. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Gamble? In no position? They recently bought ATLUS - a major multi-platform developer (inb4SomeoneSayingItWasSegaSammy - that's the parent company, yes, but Sega is the software department - Sammy works on arcade machines of all sorts. I think it's pretty obvious under who's jurisdiction ATLUS developers are going to be) - they're not "gambling" anything, they're a big player on the market.

9. Celice

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    Atlus was a recent acquisition by, as you stated, a parent company. This game has been in development for some time, with, as wikipedia suggests, over 200 staff invested (being paid) to work on the title. That's a lot of money going into a title that may not particularly do well, even in Japan. Throwing on plans and funds for localization is expensive, and not likely worth the effort at this point.

You must take into account context, and not generalize at a larger picture, like the purchase of Atlas.

10. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    ...which is why I said that "there are no plans for localizing the game yet" with good reasons earlier in this thread? :unsure:

11. Celice

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    And
    I agree, for the reasons I stated.

12. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    If you listen, you can hear weeaboo rage across the western hemisphere of the globe

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  13. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    My care meter is 0.
    I'd be very happy if they'd just do Phantasy Star Online 2.
    ...if not i'll just import the damn game, its not hard to figure out.

Could just import this one too. There's not much to read really. Some simple guides make the games perfectly playable in moon runes.

14. Vanth88

Vanth88 Private

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Florida
    The fact is Sega-Japan could careless about the West. Any PSO fan would know this all too well. As for PSO2 they cancelled it within a month or so before the release date with no reason what so ever.

From what everyone's saying Sega is "xenophobic"(is that the term?). You hear it about it quite a bit from people who worked for Sega in the different branches(America and Europe). It sucks a lot but what more can you do? besides we get Monster Hunter and that's not getting old at all :|

15. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    You forgot Sonic, we get those. :P

16. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    "Could care less" means that they... well... they might as well could care more. You're thinking about "couldn't care less" which is a fixed phrase. I also don't understand why every PSO fan would know this all too well if Sega released both episodes of PSO in the west on numerous platforms.
    I don't think a company can be xenophobic because a company is an abstract construct - a group of people employed under a given name. It's people who are xenophobic, not a "company" - don't you think you're generalizing?
    Uhm... Monster Hunter can get old very quickly - every mission is exactly the same. Select mission -> Collect necessary ingredients or kill given monsters -> Use the ingredients collected to make new, better items -> Select mission with slightly bigger monsters -> Collect necessary ingredients or kill given monsters... Can you see where I'm going with this? Monster Hunter is a literal grind fest and a very acquired taste - you can love it, but you can hate it just as easily.

17. Arras

Arras GBAtemp Guru

Sep 14, 2010
    Netherlands
    The :| made me think he was sarcastic... but then again, it's hard to tell on the internet.

18. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    Fair enough, I just wanted to voice my opinion in case he wasn't. :yay:

19. Vanth88

Vanth88 Private

Oct 1, 2007
    United States
    Florida
    Yeah I was and while I wasn't talking about the people working for the company its the people who make those decisions that reflect onto the company. For example if I said so and so company hated gingers, that doesn't mean everyone hates gingers that would just be silly.

However as I said this isn't my opinion though its from those who worked for Sega. Saying a company cannot be this or that isn't exactly right. A company can be whatever depending on who runs it. After all a company is made up of people and if those people said or did something(like saying they hated gingers and believed in a white supremacy) then that affects the entire company.

It's like working for The Galactic Empire(granted they're a government, but regardless) you don't have to be evil to work there but you darn well better know it won't reflect well onto your character to work for an evil government bent on galactic destruction.

20. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    I don't think that "being xenophobic" is Sega's company policy, in fact I'm pretty sure it isn't. In this day and age, any form of racism or xenophobia is frowned upon, not to mention illegal. :)

Skelletonike likes this.